Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hudzilla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
England
As usual with touch screens there are noticable grease marks that build up on the screen,

How is everyone cleaning their screen?

I'm just using shirt/pants to wipe most of it off

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
There's always the cloth that came with it....

I use a plasma screen cloth, or failing, something like a napkin and a bit of breath on the screen to wipe it down with. I find shirts/ jeans don't clean it at all.

Stonie24

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Over There
iClean for my iPhone (aka Precious)

I'm using Monster iClean and a microfiber cloth. been using it to clean my PB and MBP screens and it works a charm at removing friends grubby finger prints from my precious!! :D

ne0star

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Day to day I have just been using the little cloth that comes with the phone, but when it gets really grubby I use a quick blast of Autoglym fast glass that I have for my car and a microfibre cloth.

I should imagine any none abrassive glass cleaner will do the job though.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Well, I put a invisibleSHIELD screen protector on the front to protect the screen from scratches but also from fingerprints.

It's much easier to clean the screen protector with my iKlear cleaning kit - I think everyone should get a screen protector to be honest, just keeps things looking good! :D

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
All you should need is a lint-free cloth (even better, a microfibre cloth) and water. Slightly dampen a corner of the cloth and give the screen a quick wipe - this will losen any grease or stubborn marks; then give it a good wipe with the dry part of the cloth.

I wouldn't recommend using any kind of cleaning agent (water does the job just fine) and using a non-lint-free cloth risks scratching your screen.

The E-Cloth system is also excellent for cleaning the screen.

http://www.e-cloth.com/

FunkyJunk

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Leesburg, VA, USA
I wipe it on my sleeve when I don't have a microfiber cloth on me. Works fine, just takes a little more wiping.

I can't believe I just took the effort to post this.

ghostshadow777

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
I have my ol' yeller give it a good licking. :D

Microfiber works quite well, or a piece of suede does wonders, even without any cleaning agent.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
My sleeve or some toilet roll, I've noticed that the cloth that comes with the iPhone just redistributes the grease around the screen. some breath and toilet roll are the best though.

Honest Truth

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
This isn't fair, i didn't get a cloth with my iPhone...What's up with that?

I just use any kind of cloth I can find at the time to clean it. But when I really just need to put a good shine on it, I wish I had that cloth!

EDIT: Haha, scratch that. I didn't see the cloth packed up in the thing. I feel so stupid now...

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
You probably got a cloth, but didn't notice it maybe?

I just use my shirt / arm / elbow / sleeve.

mackk

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Scotch tape works on the screen sometimes too. Like if your trying to clean little peices debris off of a screen protector.

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
The cloth that the iPhone comes with is useless. It just smears the grease around. Microfiber towels work great - you can buy them at auto parts stores (people use them to detail cars because they're very gentle on the paint).

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
My iPhone case came with a little cloth that works way better at cleaning the screen than the one that came with the phone does.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
nokia 8800 luna cloth is amazing for cleaning an iphoene screen, its leather/moleskin kinda stuff i think, calf proabably, its phonomenal,

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
I just use water and the a microfiber cloth does the trick for me but I only have to do that about once a week. I don't let no one touch my baby:) , so it tends to stay in good shape!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
As usual with touch screens there are noticable grease marks that build up on the screen,

How is everyone cleaning their screen?

I'm just using shirt/pants to wipe most of it off

iKlear Apple Polish. This stuff works well on all kinds of screens plus the surfaces of computers. I bought this stuff at the Apple Store after a Genius used it to completely clean my MacBook Pro. They have a $20 pack at the store that includes a bottle, some microfiber cloths, and some portable wipes.

helmsc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Newport, TN
iKlear Apple Polish. This stuff works well on all kinds of screens plus the surfaces of computers. I bought this stuff at the Apple Store after a Genius used it to completely clean my MacBook Pro. They have a $20 pack at the store that includes a bottle, some microfiber cloths, and some portable wipes.

I use iKlear also. I use it for my iPhone, Powerbook, Cinema Display and Plasma TV. GREAT product. Now if I could just keep my cat from climbing all over them :mad:

BANNERWORX

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
London, UK
I have a screen protector on it, and use the cloth that came with it to buff out the smudge prints, or use my ed hardy cloth :cool::cool:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I just rub with the undershirt I wear, occasionally put a dab of siliva and wipe away, works great. I hate then the screen is smudgey

brandonzar

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I squirt a little acetone (neat) on a Kimwipe and polish it up. It works great, but don't do it if you have a plastic case, acetone can degrade the plastic.

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
I squirt a little acetone (neat) on a Kimwipe and polish it up. It works great, but don't do it if you have a plastic case, acetone can degrade the plastic.

You are aware that someone might actually follow your tip and use acetone:eek: to polish their iPhone which would damage the screen 100%. Are you doing this on purpose?

Anyway, I found that it's not a problem cleaning the screen, but to keep it clean for as long as you can. For example if you wash your hands and blow dry them nicely, you will notice that no matter how much you touch the screen, there will be no finger marks at all. After 10 minutes or so, your hand has produced enough sweat (not noticeable) which will leave marks on the screen. The best solution is to wipe your finger against your jeans or trousers just before touching the screen. Also, don't let anyone touch your iPhone, You never know where their hands have been :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.