Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Yeah, total noob question. I'm trying to print an email in only black and white on my color printer, and can't figure out how to do it in the print options. Anyone offer some insight? Thanks!

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
You could copy and paste the e-mail into Word, Pages or even Text Edit and change the color and print it from there, but there should be an easier way.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Yeah, I figured I could do this, but there HAS to be an easier way?
Okay, I think this print window is pretty standard regardless of which app you're using...

So go to Print and a window will pop up.
Go to the drop down menu labeled, "Copies & Pages."

Picture 5.png

Then select, "Paper Type/ Quality."
Then under Paper> Color: select "Grayscale."

Picture 6.png

Hope that helps. :)

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Thanks devilot. I love you. The problem was that I didn't have the latest software/drivers for the printer, so I didn't have any of those options available. Once I installed those from the Canon website, I can find the "grayscale" option. What's up with "grayscale" anyways? Can't the just write, "Black & White?" /rant. Thanks again though devilot!

P.S. Nice on the Camino, I use it too.

L

Lau

Just in case someone searches for this thread and like me, has a crap HP printer that has no useful features whatsoever, I thought I'd add this as I came across it the other day.

For rough n ready black and white printing if you don't have a greyscale option (the pictures are a bit high-contrast) choose "ColorSync" and under "Quartz Filter" select "Black and white".

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... What's up with "grayscale" anyways? Can't the just write, "Black & White?" /rant. ...
Grayscale and black & white are different things. Grayscale is black on one endpoint, white on the other, with possible hundreds of shades of grade between them. This is a great choice for printing monochrome photographs and similar images. Often, black & white is 100% black or 100% white with no shades of gray. The latter is good for line art and half-tones. This is often the preferred choice when using a fax modem.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
Can anyone tell me how to set things up so that grayscale is the default setting with my colour printer?

I'm running an internet cafe on Macs, and want the default to be black and white to save on ink - then just offer colour printing if people ask for it. I can't see anything in the print dialog box or preferences.

Ideas anyone?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Can anyone tell me how to set things up so that grayscale is the default setting with my colour printer?

I'm running an internet cafe on Macs, and want the default to be black and white to save on ink - then just offer colour printing if people ask for it. I can't see anything in the print dialog box or preferences.

Ideas anyone?

CHange the printer settings to Greyscale as shown earlier in the thread, then click the presents option, and choose Save as. Then, from then on, Greyscale will be the default preset for printing

bdenny28

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Answer to Black and White Question

To Print Black and White in Any Application:

Unfortunately, only the Preview application allows for grayscale printing (at least on my macbook pro). Take these steps to allow you to print in black and white in any application.

1) When you press "Print" in any application, you will have an option of "Preview" that is close to bottom left. Click on the "Preview" button.
2) This will open the document in Preview (the software program) as a PDF. Now click File > Print.
3) There should be a dropdown menu where "Preview" is currently selected. Click the dropdown menu and select "Quality & Media."
4) A checkbox titled "Grayscale Printing" should appear at the bottom. Check this box.
5) Push Print!

Maggiex

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
Actually, that IS pretty nice of him to answer this "old" question.. You really have a problem by adding sarcasm, there was no need to.
You don't know who will need this info out there. I just found this place by gooling the exact words on the title.. And none of the answers were correct; nothing worked. It could be because of the upgrades and all, but having someone posting the latest info will save a lot of people's time! :) And is very much appreciated... Ungrateful people such as yourself need to be out a of place like this then, where people help each other.

Darth.Titan said:
So nice of you to answer a two-year old thread that has already been answered.

MsNice

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Thank you Bdenny38 and MaggieX.

Actually, that IS pretty nice of him to answer this "old" question.. You really have a problem by adding sarcasm, there was no need to.
You don't know who will need this info out there. I just found this place by gooling the exact words on the title.. And none of the answers were correct; nothing worked. It could be because of the upgrades and all, but having someone posting the latest info will save a lot of people's time! :) And is very much appreciated... Ungrateful people such as yourself need to be out a of place like this then, where people help each other.

Yes, thank you Bdenny, very much for answering it actually helped me. And thank you MaggieX for speaking up!!! Know that you have spoken for many others that are not members of this forum. I was not a member but joined just to say thank you!!

Drizzt0001

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2010
Thank you...

Yes, thank you Bdenny, very much for answering it actually helped me. And thank you MaggieX for speaking up!!! Know that you have spoken for many others that are not members of this forum. I was not a member but joined just to say thank you!!

Yes, I am a new member as well, just to say thank you...

We own a Canon MX860 and there is a little selector to the right of the printer name. Clicking on that gives you more print options. Then choose Quality & Media, select box next to grayscale. I also chose fast so that it moves things along.

Key: either way you choose to do it, you need to select "Last Used Settings" below the printer name instead of "Standard" otherwise you will lose this setting the next time you print. Then, after you have printed, you can go back to print and select "Save As" where you selected "Last Used Settings" then you will have a grayscale print option. You can then select this preset from any application you are running. Again, make sure you are always selecting last used settings in your applications so that you do not have to change it everytime. Having the preset will also allow you to print in color when you want and grayscale when you don't...

PS. I would have done screenshots like Bdenny28, but I am too new for that stuff. Could have done it in a heartbeat on a PC but I have already spent 60 minutes trying to figure out how to print in grayscale!!! I can't take another 60 minutes to include screenshots...! Seriously though, we love our Macs and will not go Bac! :D

Happy grayscale printing! I like to think of it as black and white myself, but that is not technically accurate I learned by reading this thread...:)

PhantomFreak

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2010
Set the default to Grayscale the old-school way.

I'd got irritated of every time I wanted to print something in B&W I had to go to File... Print... Bottom Dropbox (usually set to copies and pages)... Printer Features... And set Output Mode to Grayscale.

I eventually figured it out how to set the default action to Grayscale using the old-school Linux command line route. You have to find the cups setting file in terminal and edit it using Pico.

For those interested in this, check out my blog entry here...

http://www.jamesmuirhead.com/?p=68

Should tell you everything you need to know... If anyone is trying this in Leopard or Snow Leopard, drop me a message to confirm it still works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:apple: iMac 17" (Intel 2GHz)
3GB of RAM
1TB WD Caviar Green (replaced dead standard 160GB, now runs cooler)
Still using original Tiger install (may upgrade soon).

sasayaku

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
ink

hey, thanks for answering, this may be a bit of a noob question as well, but I was wondering if this grayscale setting uses up varying levels of black to print or does it mix up the colors to make gray? I know some settings on windows does this...

maczach16

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
hey, thanks for answering, this may be a bit of a noob question as well, but I was wondering if this grayscale setting uses up varying levels of black to print or does it mix up the colors to make gray? I know some settings on windows does this...

It uses black and white.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
It’s amazing that Apple didn’t get it straight and removed SO MANY features from 10.4. Here how to more or less properly print in B&W under 10.6:

1. By clicking on "PDF" in the print dialog box, choose "Edit Menu..."

2. An "Edit PDF Menu" box appears, listing "Printing Workflows"

3. Click the plus sign and navigate to Applications>Utilities>ColorSync Utility and open ColorSync Utility. This will add it to the PDF menu in the print dialog box.

4. Whenever the need to use the quartz filter in Colorsync arises for making PDFs, now just open it from the PDF menu in the print dialogue box and the Pages document will open up as a PDF in ColorSync Utility. Choose from the "Filter" options at bottom left (for file compression use "reduce file size").

psiclist

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
It’s amazing that Apple didn’t get it straight and removed SO MANY features from 10.4. Here how to more or less properly print in B&W under 10.6:

1. By clicking on "PDF" in the print dialog box, choose "Edit Menu..."

2. An "Edit PDF Menu" box appears, listing "Printing Workflows"

3. Click the plus sign and navigate to Applications>Utilities>ColorSync Utility and open ColorSync Utility. This will add it to the PDF menu in the print dialog box.

4. Whenever the need to use the quartz filter in Colorsync arises for making PDFs, now just open it from the PDF menu in the print dialogue box and the Pages document will open up as a PDF in ColorSync Utility. Choose from the "Filter" options at bottom left (for file compression use "reduce file size").

Greyscale is NOT B&W. Canon and the other printer companies just want you to use up your ink printing unnecessary backgrounds. The above solution, while it did turn the pdf to B&W, I can not print it. So I will stick it to Canon by using Grab to capture the Color Sync filtered version, and print that. I am using 10.5.8 so that may be why the above solution does not work for me.

WALL-E

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Bringing this info up to date again...

i landed here like others long after the original post but still stumbling around finding a way to B/W or grayscale. I found that devilot's info is still very close as of 12/2010 for OS 10.6.5 when I'm printing out of Safari, Pages, and many other applications. (thanks, d, if you're still around...) In the regular print window, set your printer first at the top pulldown, because the software detects the printer type and that changes things (e.g., if you are printing to a B/W laser printer, the instructions below won't work because there is no "Color Options" drop down in the Paper Type/Quality section). The pulldown options halfway down the window will usually default to "Layout" -- select Paper Type/Quality instead, just like d says. There will then be a tiny little Color Options drop down that appears just to the bottom right of the preview image. One of the selections when you click the Color Options arrow is grayscale. I have also found that my HP printers all offer a Preset (right under the Printer: choice at the top of the page) with a Plain paper, Fast draft, black and white" option. It's very fast, good quality, but just B/W not grayscale.

MacMommaNewbie

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Printing B & W with Snow Leopard and Lexmark Inkjet

From "File", Select "Print" in drop down menu
Select "Copies and Pages"
Select "Printer Feature"
You will see "Document Color"- it is defaulted to "color"
Choose "Black Only"
Then click "Print"

Hope this helps someone out there. I couldn't find if for months!:rolleyes:

SPRACK

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
You can click on File, then Print... or Command-P
Then , a window will pop out. click on Copies and Pages and scroll down to Quality And Media. Below “Print Quality” , you will see a check box with ‘Grayscale Printing’ beside it. Click on the box and print your document. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.