Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
Does anyone make a Wifi antenna for the MacBook Pro...?

Something like a USB Wifi antenna..?

that can strengthen the signal for networks.....

bwilliams1188

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
yes, you can buy one. i personally dont make them but here is a site wher you can purchase one made specifically for macs:

http://www.quickertek.com/products/Quicky.php

they are a bit price. another option you have is a cantenna. The only put-down for this is that they are so bulky, but i have seen stories of people picking up signals over a mile away.

but just research this topic on google or something and find out what works best for you.

effer

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/the-WiFi-CARDS-fdsh-clients-cln-for-Laptop/Categories

I've bought a few wifi cards from these guys. They mostly sell stuff that is for enthusiasts and security folks, and the prices aren't jacked..

The Alpha 500mw USB works well, I've used a few of them for increasing range. They are also the darling of the hacking community, as they are fully supported under Linux (and OS X, Windows) and will run aircrack and other security tools.

But just having the range and means doesn't make it legal to crack WEP/WPA networks in your neighborhood! It's one thing to find yourself accidentally connected to an open hotspot, it's another to deliberately crack their security. If you're into security testing, just stick to your own router, it can be highly educational!

Also, all that power does not translate into increased receiving ability. As in, 500mw will help you transmit a strong signal to the router keeping your uploads at peak speed, but if the router is broadcasting a weak signal back, your downloads may be quite a lot slower and inconsistent.

This is why a good antenna is also important. I use a 9dBi antenna that is still short enough to be carried in a bag. A directional antenna like the Wi-fire product, might even be better, but you'd have to dig into some reviews to compare performance.

Good luck!

ldrhawke

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
"I wanted to boost a weak signal from my Airport Extreme signal to my MacPro. QuickerTek advertises and sells booster antennas for both, which they promise a significant improvement in performance. I purchased directly from Quickertek, on the internet, antennas for both the MacPro and Airport.

After installing the antenna in the MacPro I experienced poorer performance than the original Apple WiFi card. I called them to reviewed the problem, for which they had no answer to solve the problem. I then requested a refund and return authorization since the product did not work. They said just to return the antennas. I returned both for what I thought would be a refund.

I just received a letter for credit which can only buy other products they make, in which they state they will not refund the money that I have paid. It is not clearly noted anywhere on their web site that they do not refund, it is only on the back of the receipt for payment they send, after you have made a purchase. It states they will only give you a credit to purchase other of their products and that even has to be used within 30 days, or they keep your money. Since I have no need for any of their other products, I obviously have just been taken by QuickerTek for hundreds of dollars.

They advertise their products are guaranteed. The only thing your guaranteed from QuickerTek is they will not give you your money back when their product fails to perform. This is a fraudulent and dishonest practice, and the same as stealing.

I cannot recommend anyone doing business with QuickerTek or the quality of their products."

Amacfanboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Macbook Wifi Antenna Booster

Heres a less expensive wifi booster antenna for macbook. It can boost the signal up to four times the distance. You can even switch out the included antenna because it includes an industry standard RP-SMA antenna port allowing the flexibility to upgrade to a larger antenna than the one thats included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.