Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the return of methods to create free ringtones to the iPhone, RougeAmoeba has reintroduced their MakeiPhoneRingtone application which automates the manual process of renaming your AAC files and reimporting them into iTunes.
Drop any AAC file on MakeiPhoneRingtone and it will be processed and passed off to iTunes, where it will be handled as a Ringtone. The file will show up in iTunes' Ringtone sub-library as well as the Ringtones tab in the iPhone section, where you can sync it to your iPhone. Once it's on your iPhone, you can use the file as a global ringtone, per-contact ringtone, or even an alarm clock sound.

The application is only available for Mac.

Article Link

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
how long do we think this will work for?

Should be forever since Apple is no longer actively denying custom ringtones since the iPhone 1.1.2 firmware.

Will this possibly make my phone a brick?:confused:

I am guessing it does not write data to the system software section (since it would have no reason to), so it should be perfectly safe.

bmg97

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Okay, I have a question ! I updated itunes last night. Think it was a bad idea becuase I finally learned how to use garageband and convert all that crap. Now the ringtones will not load. I have 1.1.1. What the hell to I do ? :( I have itoner if needed. everytime I catch up something changes !!! I should go back to my old Nokia from 1998 !

rtcruz1

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
works for me!

works perfectly for me.. I was waiting for this! I was using it before, and was so disappointed when it stopped working after the 1st firmware update. Now it's back! yipee!

Thanks Rogue Amoeba!

bmg97

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
How come the ringtone works when I play it. Then when I transfer it with itoner to the phone there is no sound from the ringtone on the phone ?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
There was an apple script that would let you automaticly import a song from itunes into garage band, you could edit it there, then it would send it to MakeiPhoneRingtone and then back to iTunes.

Anyone got a link?
:)

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I still can't believe that Apple has allowed this free ringtone stuff to go on as long as it has. It seems crazy after they way they acted the first time free ringtones were discovered.

Red Dwarf

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Not me

works perfectly for me.. I was waiting for this! I was using it before, and was so disappointed when it stopped working after the 1st firmware update. Now it's back! yipee!

Thanks Rogue Amoeba!

Not working for me. It loads the ring tones into the folder on itunes, but it does not sync to the phone.

Nice idea, but it just does not work.

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Okay, I have a question ! I updated itunes last night. Think it was a bad idea becuase I finally learned how to use garageband and convert all that crap. Now the ringtones will not load. I have 1.1.1. What the hell to I do ? :( I have itoner if needed. everytime I catch up something changes !!! I should go back to my old Nokia from 1998 !

Have you considered iPhone update 1.1.2? That's what this post was about, not 1.1.1...

sacsig

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
works for me!!!!!!

The weird thing was that when I synced my phone it said the file could not be copied to the phone, but it did anyway!

daffymcg

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
iphone ringtones 1.3

Not working for me. It loads the ring tones into the folder on itunes, but it does not sync to the phone.

Nice idea, but it just does not work.

it aint workin for me either. appears in the subfolders in itunes and iphone, but does not appear in the sync ringtones tab. any suggestions?

fribhey

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2005
it aint workin for me either. appears in the subfolders in itunes and iphone, but does not appear in the sync ringtones tab. any suggestions?

the songs have to be 30 seconds or less for it to appear in the sync ringtones tab. it works perfectly with the latest itunes and iphone update.

IgorRudy

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
iPhone does not work in the cold weather when the users hands are cold

iPhone does not work in the cold weather when the users hands are cold (news from Ukraine). At least 1 out of 100 Ukrainians can not use iPhone if his/her hands are cold (below 36.6C) - screen just does not respond to the touches. Interestingly, number of not working iPhone cases, especially high among Ukrainian politicians :)
http://www.sostav.ua/news/2007/11/15/8/4307/

taybo20

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Tempe
iPhone does not work in the cold weather when the users hands are cold (news from Ukraine). At least 1 out of 100 Ukrainians can not use iPhone if his/her hands are cold (below 36.6C) - screen just does not respond to the touches. Interestingly, number of not working iPhone cases, especially high among Ukrainian politicians :)
http://www.sostav.ua/news/2007/11/15/8/4307/

And why exactly did you post this in this thread?

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Because if they cannot use their iPhone with cold hands, then they will not be able to answer someone's call when their custom ring-tone starts going off.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I understand dead people have a lot of trouble answering their phones also, even with really loud ringtones...

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
I guess they could just plug in the ear phones and use them to answer it. That way they do not have to worry about touching the screen. Not to get back on topic or anything, but this app only works with songs that are not bought from the iTunes store, correct?

MacKraut

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
thanks. it worked. under 30 is the trick.

I was thrown out by that one as well, even though I had read the comment on Rogue's website, clearly stating that ringtones would not get sync'd if they were 40.4 seconds in length, but 40.3 worked.

It appears the limit is not 30 seconds (I have ringtones that exceed 35 seconds)

My confusion stemmed from the fact that when I used GarageBand (I had never used it before, I'm not the music creative type (sigh)) changing the bottom display to show time, I spliced 35 seconds of a song, or so it said at the bottom, but when playing in iTunes after importing the excerpt, it exceeded 40 seconds of play time. I first thought I had forgotten to delete around the spliced section, but confirmed I had not.

Any GarageBand user knows why that is?

I suspect something like a setting for "beat"/"speed", but I'm clueless.

In any case, on Rogue's site it states 40.3 seconds will syn, 40.4 will not, although the logic for this is unknown.

Thanks you Rogue for releasing this new version.
Thanks Apple for making us happy by allowing custom ringtones from our collections of sounds, custom and otherwise legally acquired and owned music.

MacKraut

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
I guess they could just plug in the ear phones and use them to answer it. That way they do not have to worry about touching the screen. Not to get back on topic or anything, but this app only works with songs that are not bought from the iTunes store, correct?

I suspect it works for all non DRM songs.

I assume that any iTunes+ song should thus work, but can't confirm. I have not bought DRM free iTunes tracks, or converted those that are now available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.