Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Is it possible to change the root user name of a Mac? Somehow, when I go into to Terminal, it shows my boss' name as the root user of my machine. I have no idea how it happened. What can I do? Thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I assume you're talking about the Administrator account (possibly the only one on the machine)..."root" is something very different and something most users should never need to see or deal with.

In Tiger, you can change the name on a user account, but Apple frowns upon it, as it may cause some issues. Here is their guide to doing so. If you're not worried about preserving documents, you can simply create another Administrator account, log into it, and then delete the original one. (But if you've been working with the existing account for some time, moving the documents and other files over may not be worth it.)

In Leopard, I believe you can right click on the account in System Preferences and change the name there.

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
The only account name on the machine is my own. I only see this when I go into Terminal. The first thing that shows up when I open up terminal is my boss' name. I can't see how this possibly could have happened. The only place this show's up in is terminal. Thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Gotcha. Check System Preferences --> Sharing. What does it say under "Computer Name"?

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
As soon as I looked at that sharing screen, it changed in terminal to be Shawn's Mac Book Pro. Does Terminal reflect the name the computer is using on the company network maybe? Thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
As soon as I looked at that sharing screen, it changed in terminal to be Shawn's Mac Book Pro. Does Terminal reflect the name the computer is using on the company network maybe? Thanks!

Yes, when you're on a local network, it'll reflect the address where other computers can find that machine.

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Ahh, ok, thought I was going crazy! Thanks a lot for all of your help! Nice seeing such a welcoming forum!

Shawn

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You're welcome...sorry it took me so long to get to the answer! :eek: :D

Welcome to the forums!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.