Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teiresias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I just ordered my iMac - first one ever, and while I'm not going to put XP on it right away until I move it up to Leopard I was wondering if it's possible to use a Windows ghosting software - namely the one I own, Acronis True Image, to ghost and restore the XP partition if necessary. Has anyone done this and does it work? Thanks for the info!

nycgraeme

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
I just ordered my iMac - first one ever, and while I'm not going to put XP on it right away until I move it up to Leopard I was wondering if it's possible to use a Windows ghosting software - namely the one I own, Acronis True Image, to ghost and restore the XP partition if necessary. Has anyone done this and does it work? Thanks for the info!

I had the same question. I found this:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1212978

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
Acronis, XP Pro, Bootcamp

I had assumed that Acronis would work. This thread caused me to run an Acronis backup of my bootcamp partition. Target drive was an external USB drive.

I have a SR MBP with a 32GB Leopard Bootcamp partition (with 11.2GBs used)and Acronis 8.0.

Acronis ran just like it would on a PC, completed in about 6 mins and produced an image of 5.1GBs. AND I clicked on the image file and loaded as a virtual drive; was able to read and copy data from the image. Then unplugged the image.

Now the question is how would you restore this image to MacBook Pro's internal bootcamp partition (if needed).

Of interest, Acronis sees all three partitions on the MBP's drive. I assume that you could back up the OSX and the EFI partitions also. Something to play with when I have more free external drive space.

Note, if you have Vista on your BootCamp partition, I think that you will need Acronis 10 (or later) just as you would in the PC world.

Neil

nycgraeme

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
i think that is the issue - it can make the image but you can't boot into acronis to load the image and use it to restore to a "fresh install"

found a program called WinClone but haven't tried it yet. i really like the Acronis product so its too bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.