Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Ok Apple Invented cover flow, now we can view all types of files in here, why not make it a bit exciting, for example i've got all my bluray and hddvd's on here and i assign a high res cover to every movie, how about that for starters, any other ideas...

p.s. looks beautiful in stacks too

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    540.5 KB · Views: 511
  • coverflowmovies.jpg
    coverflowmovies.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 17,452

illuminous

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
How did you get the poster frames of the DVD covers for each movie??? I've been wanting to do this for ages. Is it only possible with .mov files???

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
How did you get the poster frames of the DVD covers for each movie??? I've been wanting to do this for ages. Is it only possible with .mov files???

nah u can do it with any file

TUTORIAL:

1) ok firstly i got the image off the inet, you can get some really nice cover art for bluray movies off here http://era-hd.ru/blu-ray/2/,

2) opened image up photoshop and cut the corners if the corners are rounded on the box, if there not then you can leave it, save it as a psd.

3) Download Xcode from the apple website http://developer.apple.com/tools/ gives u the developer tools, once downloaded and installed, open up 'Icon Composer' Mac HD>Developer>Applications>Utilities. Drag Your Photoshop File that you just created into the big box and 'Copy to all smaller sizes', then what you want to do is export it and save it somewhere, should have a .icns extension.

4) Lastly Download Icns2Rsrc here http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11781
and open up the .icns file you just created and then it asks you to save the rsrc file, save that.

5) now you've got the rsrc file, right click it and get info . click on the thumbnail in the top left corner of the 'get info' box and it should highlight, press ctrl+c to copy. Go to your movie file, click 'get info' click on the thumbnail in the top left corner and paste ctrl+v

Thats It

Sorry if it sounds long, once you do it you'll see how quick it is, this is the first time i've ever written a tutorial so sorry if its hard to understand

illuminous

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Found a much easier way to do it. Just download "img2icns" from the apple website. It has a droplet icon, just drag the image to the droplet, and select if its for a file or for a folder, and it does it all automatically. Awesome program

rph105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
So basically what you want is Delicious Library built into Finder/Cover Flow. Nice idea but I already paid for DL. :p

btw Apple didn't invent Cover Flow, they acquired it.

yh but the delicious library is only a info tool, that gives you info on your movies, when i double click my icons i can actually watch the movie, in full HD :D

canhenrik

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
coverflow trailer plot etc. solution

Hey guys,

might be a little bit late, but i would recommend flowmymo for this kind of thing. Its an online library where you can drag and drop you files and it will do basically everything for you, sorting names etc.

here is the link: flowmymo.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.