Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
I've never used Apple's Mail before but I was wondering how I can set up my mail to access my hotmail emails.

Is it possible to set up so I dont actually download the contents from my email onto my hardrive but just view it like I do as a web based email?

Thanks in advance!

bcupcake

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
In the past, you couldn't use Hotmail with the build-in Mail application in OS X (at least without third-party apps/plugins). But recently, POP3 access has become free for all Hotmail accounts, and you can now set up Hotmail in Mail; here's a little guide:

1. Start Mail
2. Go to Mail » Preferences, and click on Accounts.
3. Click on the plus button (lower left) to add a new account.
4. Type must say POP, and give the account a description.
5. You must fill in the following information correctly or the account will not work:
* Incoming Mail Server: pop3.live.com
* Username: Your Hotmail address (with @hotmail.com, @live.nl or any other @live or @hotmail extension included)
* Password: Your Hotmail password
6. Click on Continue
7. Set the Outgoing Server to smtp.live.com, then click Continue, and click Continue again.

If everything was done correctly, you can now read and send Hotmail with the built-in Mail.app in OS X.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090407112314693

cheeryble

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Just one thing Cupcake
your link says it's for Hotmail Plus subscribers.
It's not availble to all?

cheers
Cheeryble

dhena81

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
You can get hotmail on your iphone but you have to pay for it. Ithink its about 5 bucks go to the app store and search for mbox mail like most things microsoft it is slow but works.

Topez

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
Bcupcake is correct hotmail now has pop3 access free for all accounts. I have hotmail running on my iphone mail app fine and I dont have a premium account. Now if they could just get some imap support we'd be sorted...

Steve-M

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
In the past, you couldn't use Hotmail with the build-in Mail application in OS X (at least without third-party apps/plugins). But recently, POP3 access has become free for all Hotmail accounts, and you can now set up Hotmail in Mail; here's a little guide:

1. Start Mail
5. You must fill in the following information correctly or the account will not work:
* Username: Your Hotmail address (with @hotmail.com, @live.nl or any other @live or @hotmail extension included)
6. Click on Continue
7. Set the Outgoing Server to smtp.live.com, then click Continue, and click Continue again.

If everything was done correctly, you can now read and send Hotmail with the built-in Mail.app in OS X.

I setup mail in the same manner. It does not have to be a plus account. Just regular old hotmail.

MatchFrame

macrumors member
May 2, 2008
Dallas, TX

1. Start Mail
6. Click on Continue

HTTPMail was just discontinued by Microsoft a few days ago, so now that it doesn't work anymore, there will be a lot more people looking for a solution (like me).

This works, and it works for regular hotmail accounts.

BUT what is left out in the article (and I found in the comments) is that you need to enable authentication on the SMTP part of the account setup for outgoing mail in order to be able to send mail. Otherwise you'll only be able to receive mail.

stony67

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Thanks so much I've been trying to figure this out since i bought my mac

:):):):):):):):):)::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

1. Start Mail
6. Click on Continue

MatchFrame

macrumors member
May 2, 2008
Dallas, TX
What ultimately solved my Hotmail nightmare for me was setting up a GMail account. The reason is that GMail can automatically import from as many POP mail accounts as you want. The setup was supremely easy, and you can even import all of your contacts from Hotmail, if you need.

I now have one GMail account that auto-imports all messages from 4 of my old Hotmail accounts, plus two dummy GMail accounts I had made a long time ago. And if you need to write an email FROM one of your Hotmail accounts for whatever reason, GMail let's you do that.

So now I have one MobileMe account for business/personal, and one GMail that covers everything else, including every other email account I've made in the last 10 years. And Apple Mail works perfectly with GMail's IMAP settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.