Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I heard about YoJimbo on MacBook Weekley podcast, Leo Laporte said he uses it. I downloaded the demo and I have a couple of questions for any users out there.

1. Where does YoJimbo store all of this data, specifically bookmarks, notes, and PDFs generated with "Save as YoJimbo PDF"? Are these files accessible outside of YoJimbo, or are they stored in a proprietary database? Reason Im asking, what happens if YoJimbo stops being developed and future versions of OSX doesnt support it, will you be able to get to all of your PDFs?

2. With new Quicklook feature in Leopard, as well as better Spotlight performace, what is the benefit of using YoJimbo when you could easily keep your documents in folders and search with Finder/Spotlight?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
1. Where does YoJimbo store all of this data, specifically bookmarks, notes, and PDFs generated with "Save as YoJimbo PDF"? Are these files accessible outside of YoJimbo, or are they stored in a proprietary database? Reason Im asking, what happens if YoJimbo stops being developed and future versions of OSX doesnt support it, will you be able to get to all of your PDFs?

2. With new Quicklook feature in Leopard, as well as better Spotlight performace, what is the benefit of using YoJimbo when you could easily keep your documents in folders and search with Finder/Spotlight?

1. Yojimbo stores it's files in a sqlite database file in <user>/Library/Application Support/Yojimbo. As long as you always have a way to revert to a version of OS X and Yojimbo that works (i.e. make a bootable backup of your system before you do an upgrade), then you always have a way to get your documents out by exporting them

2. You could do as you suggest, although there are at least a few features you might have to find workarounds for if you need them:

a) individual Yojimbo items can be encrypted
b) you can enter and edit dates in an item comments field which I use for todo item due dates (I use the format "Due: 2007-11-19" and have a TypeIt4Me short cut ("tdd") which enters it) . In Spotlight you can search for a date in this format (by entering the TypeIt4Me shortcut) and it will display the todo items with that date even without Yojimbo running. This works well for me.
c) Yojimbo item capture and filing/tagging, you would have to do this manually

There are probably a few others. Nothing you couldn't overcome doing things manually, but Yojimbo makes it convenient

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yojimbo pretty much makes it so you have all the info you want in one place with tags etc.

If you just used Finder + Spotlight you would have lots of files everywhere in different folders without tags. It's doable, but Yojimbo is just convenience.

hotoru

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Yojimbo

I have this same question. But, I wanted to double check the answer from the above. So, Yojjimbo stores all the files in a SQL database. I suspect the individual files would not be viewable from spotlight. Are there other applications that can be use to open the database and retrieve the files or would it require you run a version of Yojimbo?

I understand DevonThink stores files in a package file. This must be similar to iPhoto. I Believe you can open that package file and access your stored documents. That is appealing to me.
TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.