Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Does anyone know if it is possible to use any other hotspot providers (bt openzone to be specific) with your free iPhone - The Cloud access? I beleive they are partners but I can't find any info on it.

Simonmiller

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
Belfast, UK
The way The Cloud works is confusing - I think it's basically a collection of other provider's Hot Spots some of which are included in The Cloud's coverage - for example BT Openzone have some hotspots in Northern Ireland, but they don't seem to be included in The Cloud's coverage, where others seem to be....

BT Openzone are listed as a service provider on the Cloud's website, but I'm not quite sure what that means -

Not very clear!

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
BT Openzone users can use cloud hotspots (and T-mobile ones). cloud users cannot use other providers' hotspots.

It comes down to money - cloud are only a small prover and presumably can't afford to pay the rates that BT Openzone charge, but are more than happy to accept payment from BT Openzone for their users using cloud hotspots.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
That's not quite the answer I was hoping for but thanks for the info never the less!

TheCloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Hi there

you can use it on any of The Cloud's hotspots (nearly 80% of all the commercial hotspots in the UK with over 7,500 locations) - thats an SSID of either 'WiFi Zone - The Cloud' or 'mycloud'.

I'm afraid you cannot use it on anybody else's network (BT Openzone or T-Mobile for example)

Obviously the iPhone itself can be used on virtually all WiFi networks (that are open), but only The Cloud is included in the iPhone tariff, and automatic authentication is only available on The Cloud.

regards

Owen

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
(nearly 80% of all the commercial hotspots in the UK with over 7,500 locations)

That's a hell of a claim to make, especially since cloud hotspots seem to be so rare compared to other operator's hotspots.

BT Openzone has 10,990 hotspots. T-Mobile has about 3,618.
Your own hotspot finder lists 6,872.

Personally I'd also discount hotspots in pubs - only the terminally insane would walk into the average fleapit and get out a high value item like an iphone or a laptop. That gets the numbers down a lot more (for all providers probably).

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Obviously the iPhone itself can be used on virtually all WiFi networks (that are open), but only The Cloud is included in the iPhone tariff, and automatic authentication is only available on The Cloud.

Hmmm. So, err Owen, why do your support staff tell me it's O2's fault my automatic authentication to TheCloud is not working?

I can connect to other wireless networks… just wondering. :cool:

I mean I'd love to try it, but so far TheCloud is not ThatGreat. :D

TheCloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Tony

BT Openzone uses The Cloud's network, therefore most of their hotspots are in fact The Clouds network. T-Mobile use their own hotspots and BT Openzones. The Cloud owns and operates the majority of commercial hotspots in the UK.

Where you use your iPhone is a personal preference choice, I can understand if you dont want to use your mobile phone in a pub or bar - but obviously lots of people do.

arkitect

its hard to resolve an individual problem on a forum, but I trust our customer services guys on this if thats where they say the problem is, they have been very on top of any iPhone issues. But I am very happy to follow up and check it out for you though if you want to drop me a mail with the specifics (ticket number would be great if you have one), I want to make sure everybody gets the service they should. I'm on owen DOT geddes AT thecloud DOT net

thanks

Owen

Simonmiller

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
Belfast, UK
Hmmm. I have asked this before elsewhere, and sorry if it's a bit off-topic, but we have loads of BT Openzone hotspots in Northern Ireland, does that mean I can use them as part of my Cloud subscription? I can only find one Cloud hotspot in Northern Ireland....

TheCloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Hi Simon

unfortunately you cant use the BT Openzone hotspots as part of The Cloud proposition. However the good news is we are rolling out hotspots in Northern Ireland as we speak. I think we have around 35 new locations deployed (with lots more to come over the next weeks) - they should be in the hotspot locator in the next few days.

hope that helps!

Owen

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
hi Owen,

Bit of a n00b question I'm afraid - I've not had chance to try the Cloud service with my iPhone yet and haven't seen any info anywhere on how the "automatic authentication" works - can you outline what's involved? Do you need a username or anything, or is it all MAC address-based?

TheCloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
alFR

its pretty simple - to register you go to a Cloud hotspot. Once there select our network (WiFi Zone - The Cloud) and then open Safari. You will be presented with a web page asking you to input your o2 phone number. Assuming you are on an o2 iPhone tariff you phone will then be registered with our network. from then on your iPhone will auto seek The Cloud network, and just use it automatically in preference to Edge whenever it is available. No user names or passwords - the network just recognises your device and lets you right on.

For example once registered, if you go into the iTunes store it takes about half a second to connect to The Cloud, and then the store should come up.

Hope that helps

regards

Owen

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I've jusy used the "mycloud" access point at the university (Manchester). Works very well. Kudos for the authentication process.

Now all I need to do is get my iPhone to go to this access point in pref to the Uni's own and we're laughing.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah its a shame the Cloud agreement doesn't include BT Openzone as they seem to have blanket coverage over central London

I can see Openzone hotspots almost everywhere i am/walk to but the Cloud only tend to show up once in a while and as soon as i take few steps i lose the connection. When you get onto a Cloud hotspot it works like a charm but finding a hotspot may not really be a walk in the park....at least in the area i work at (Bond/Oxford street/Marylebone Lane/High Street)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Thanks Owen, that seems pretty simple. I'll try it next time I'm in town.

Moleshome

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
its pretty simple - to register you go to a Cloud hotspot. Once there select our network (WiFi Zone - The Cloud) and then open Safari. You will be presented with a web page asking you to input your o2 phone number.

That's what I expected from comments I've seen elsewhere.

Yesterday I went to a local pub that is a Cloud hotspot, opened up Wi-Fi Networks, 'WiFi Zone - The Cloud' came up on the list, I selected it, connected, and could then browse without having to input my number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.