Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PC Magazine held a survey which ran from August 1 to August 13, 2007. Respondents reported on their experiences with the gadgets, services, and electronics they use, and any support or repair incidents they had within 12 months prior to the survey.

In its first year in the survey, it was clear that iPhone owners were very satisfied:
the Apple iPhone scored a stunning 9.1 out of 10 from our readers, beating the ratings that every other phone, from every carrier, in nearly every category, has received in the three years we've been including cell phones. The iPhone's 9.6 scores in music and video playback might have been expected, but its 8.2 for call quality (a score significantly better than average), another 8.2 for coverage, and an 8.0 for earpiece volume show that it's not just the i our readers like. They love the phone, too.

Article Link

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
For the most part I also concur, but think the attempt at merging a phone and an iPod is a dismal failure (at least for me). Phone use and battery life are good as long as the iPod is not in use. However, when the iPod is in use the battery life drops very quickly (5 hrs max, compared to Apple's claim of 24 hrs). There is no way it will last a whole work day. And the gsm noise and incomparability with existing iPod accessories makes it a hard sell for car use. Although the idea of one device to replace 2 was very attractive, I'm now back to 2. If I had it to do all over again I would never get an iPhone, and I won't recommend it for the reasons I described.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
I found that my battery life was awful for about the first 3 - 4 weeks. Then after constant use and a couple of full discharges (pass the 10 minute warning and the 5 minute warning to a complete shut down) and complete recharges, I can easily get a full work day out of the iPod in iPhone.

And as far as a phone is concerned, it's the most clear phone I've ever had, bar none.

Great phone, great iPod, great PDA.

Delighted with mine.

Cheers.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New mac ad?

On the webpage with the review, did anybody else get the new ad with the Mac and PC guy, where the PC guy presses a big red button to try to solve Vista's problems and it doesn't work?

I didn't find it on the apple website.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
i think that there's a new get a mac add on the side of the page, and it really dosn't make any sence. has anyone watched it? what are they talking about?
(pc is holing a button, then he presses it, and it dosnt seem to do anything)

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I found that my battery life was awful for about the first 3 - 4 weeks. Then after constant use and a couple of full discharges (pass the 10 minute warning and the 5 minute warning to a complete shut down) and complete recharges, I can easily get a full work day out of the iPod in iPhone.

Funny, I did the same thing and I have amazing battery life now... I don't even have to fully charge/discharge anymore. I can surf the web on Edge (which was a huge battery drainer in the beginning), listen to music, make a bunch of phonecalls and text message throughout the day and I still have about half my battery life left.

I think I'll give up cellphones completely if for any reason I had to use something other than an iPhone... it would be way too painful :p

Clancycoop

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Me too!

I have found that anyone who doesn't like the iPhone, probably doesn't have one. In response to the complaints about GSM noise with car accesories etc, I would just say that you are expecting a little too much. Apple has not marketed the iPhone to be used in the car. In fact, they haven't really done that with the iPod either, it has been other companies producing car adapters etc.

I use a 5thGen iPod in my car that stays permanently in the secret compartment of my MINI, using a BMW built in iPod interface. I would suggest just keeping your iPod in the car, and using your iPhone everywhere else. If you still run out of battery, keep an extra charger at your desk. Unless you are constantly walking around outside, you can stand to plug it in besides at night.

I would say that the iPhone has more than lived up to it's hype. I could never go back to another phone. I love the touch keypad, Safari browser, etc. Of course I would like 3G, GPS, etc, but those aren't reasonable with current batterylife to size ratio. I don't want a brick in my pocket, so I will deal with it for now.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Funny, I did the same thing and I have amazing battery life now... I don't even have to fully charge/discharge anymore. I can surf the web on Edge (which was a huge battery drainer in the beginning), listen to music, make a bunch of phonecalls and text message throughout the day and I still have about half my battery life left.

I think I'll give up cellphones completely if for any reason I had to use something other than an iPhone... it would be way too painful :p

I read a post from someone else on here before I got mine where he said the same thing. Dubious battery life for 3 - 4 weeks and then bingo. Mine is truly great and I agree with you, if I had to use another mobile I don't think I'd bother.

Now if I can just get one that has a data plan that I can afford (I'm in Canada), I'm set.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah, count me in among those who have no desire to ever give up their iPhone. I can't imagine using anything else. And just wait until the 3d party SDK is released; I'm so excited!

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
Has anyone looked at the add yet- i swear its new, it isn't on the apple site or anything.

and upon further inspection, it looks like the weird frame they have it in is probably cutting off our view of whatever pc is controlling. any ideas?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
i think that there's a new get a mac add on the side of the page, and it really dosn't make any sence. has anyone watched it? what are they talking about?
(pc is holing a button, then he presses it, and it dosnt seem to do anything)

lol - You have to look up where they're looking! The button changes the banner ad on top of the article. Both ads are synced to each other. It's really quite clever.

Has anyone looked at the add yet- i swear its new, it isn't on the apple site or anything.

I doubt you will. I've never seen them put web ads for themselves anywhere on their own page.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
OVerall a little surprised, but very happy about mine, and im glad that people like theres too. After all the complaining I hear in these forums, its good most people like theres.

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
lol - You have to look up where they're looking! The button changes the banner ad on top of the article. Both ads are synced to each other. It's really quite clever.

I doubt you will. I've never seen them put web ads for themselves anywhere on their own page.

True. i didn't look up there...

and i geuss its not in the tv ads section because it will only work on webpages like this one.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I...I would just say that you are expecting a little too much. Apple has not marketed the iPhone to be used in the car. In fact, they haven't really done that with the iPod either, it has been other companies producing car adapters etc...
Perhaps they don't market the iPhone to be used in the car, but they DO market it as "the best iPod ever". And one of the primary uses of my iPod (and I suspect many others) is in the car. The gsm noise, lack of compatibility with accessories (not only car accessories), and lack of a click wheel/quick song changing makes this definitely NOT "the best iPod ever". Like you said, I guess I was expecting too much (and believed the hype too much).

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Good to see this report. I also concur. There are still a few bugs that crop up from time to time, but they are minor compared to the overall usage. Voice quality is MUCH better than my RAZR (though, that might not be the greatest comparison).

And the gsm noise and incomparability with existing iPod accessories makes it a hard sell for car use.

i have zero GSM noise in my BMW install, using a NEO dock adapter. It's not just a problem with the iPhone - if the device/installation is susceptible to GSM noise, it'll do it with any GSM phone.

jimedit1

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2006
I bought an iphone in July. If I had been surveyed one month after my purchase I would have praised its attributes as well.

However... Several months, and a $200 price drop later... BASIC features that any low-end phone (MMS) would have, and features that any other PDA (Copy and paste) would have, and accessories an ipod (car adaptor) would have... have failed to materialize. Instead apple continues to aggressively market this product world wide while ignoring these blatantly basic missing features.

Im frustrated.

The device is a wonder of technological fluidity... true. But if I had known then what I know now. I would have waited.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
This is true for me. I can't ever go back to regular phones. Those phones were a complete joke including those Blackberries.

I actually returned mine because after going through 5 bad phones, it was just too much BS, but I agree, I will never look at a cell phone the same ever again. I got so used to the interface and touch screen. It's gonna take a while to get used to a cell phone with a key pad again.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
i have zero GSM noise in my BMW install, using a NEO dock adapter. It's not just a problem with the iPhone - if the device/installation is susceptible to GSM noise, it'll do it with any GSM phone.
I'm glad for you. However, a new car is not an option for most of us, and to my knowledge none of the after-market adapter manufacturers have yet come out with an adapter that is designed to work with the iPhone. You may get lucky as you did, but how am I supposed to know what works and what doesn't work? There are threads on this forum, on Apple's forum, on the iLounge forum, and elsewhere, all discussing this. Unfortunately there is still very little concrete information available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.