Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmax019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
i guess my title says it all. i am not a photoshop genius, but i wanna make a nice glossy aqua style icon for my app. what software are you using to make your icon?

hopefully not photoshop - i dont like it :p

madmax

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Photoshop is the main app used. You could try GIMP which is similar to Photoshop but open source.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
hopefully not photoshop - i dont like it :p

Hate to break this to you, but unless there's something very specific about Photoshop you don't like ("the price" is a popular answer) you're going to hate pretty much any application able to turn out reasonably professional work. PS is the standard, so most everything else can be categorized as "Photoshop, but with..."

e.g.
Painter: Photoshop, but with better brushes and tablet support (and horrible memory management).

GIMP: Photoshop, but with that "I had to learn to do something special to get it to run on my system" open source street cred.

Pixelmator: Photoshop, but with HUD style windows, a lower price point, and an immature code base with a few counterintuitive interface choices.

Not to suggest any of these aren't fine choices depending on your particular circumstances. Just that if you generally hate Photoshop, you really need to be considering farming out your graphics work to somebody who doesn't, because you'll be hard pressed to get out of its shadow.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I actually use, of all things, MS Paint in Windows XP to make icons. It may be incredibly simple, but it works for my needs.

Aquis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
If you want to take a different approach to designing icons, you could use Cheetah3D to make the icons - but Photoshop really is the way to go with 2D image editing...

satyam90

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Bangalore, India
Best place is to go and search the net for images and then modifythem accordingly. Go to icon composer on Mac and convert them to icons.

madmax019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
i guess i have to use photoshop then :-(

i do have it but it is just that you need to learn to use photoshop before you can actually do anything! thats just not my style :-D

thanks

max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.