Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsutiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
I recently reformatted my HD and reinstalled my OS. There is one album that I purchased on iTunes that I failed to backup. Is there a way to downoad it again from iTunes without paying?

Thanks.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You're probably screwed, but there might be a few things you could try.

1. Try clicking "Advanced>Check for Purchased Music ..."

2. Calling Apple to see if they'll help you out.

BTW, did you de-authorize your Mac before you formatted the HD? I'm planning on formatting my HD before installing Panther (in a couple months), and I'm sketchy on how to proceed with $50 of purchased music on my HD.

texas2001

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
What I have done to backup my purchased music is to use iTunes and create a data cd. I can't remember the option (I'm at work) but I think there is an option to create an .mp3 or AAC type disk. I selected the AAC whatever option.

After I formated my drive, I imported the music and then autorized my computer to play the music. It was pretty easy. If you have a .Mac account, the Backup program did a great job of backing up my iTunes library.

lsutiger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by ftaok
You're probably screwed, but there might be a few things you could try.

1. Try clicking "Advanced>Check for Purchased Music ..."

2. Calling Apple to see if they'll help you out.

BTW, did you de-authorize your Mac before you formatted the HD? I'm planning on formatting my HD before installing Panther (in a couple months), and I'm sketchy on how to proceed with $50 of purchased music on my HD.

Tried the advanced>Check for Purchased Music, but nothing is there.

I didn't de-authorize my Mac before formatting. Maybe I should have. I've only had my Mac (1st Mac) for less than a week and I'm still learning the ropes.

I do have that album on my iPod and I think there might be some software out there that will transfer songs from the iPod back to the computer. I guess I will look into that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.