Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSMencer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
OK, so my phone was only halfway charged, it died, and i cant get it to turn back on... My charger doesn't seem to be giving it a charge as well. Should i go to AT&T and try a different charger? I have no clue what to do. Please help me.

JSMencer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I tried both of these. the home and power button wont reset it, and the charger doesnt charge it. I know its dead (battery) but how do i get it to charge.

JSMencer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
so apple support set me up with an appointment at the apple store to see if they can fix it, if they cant they said they will give me a new iPhone. This just sucks cuz i am out of a phone till monday. Thats a weekend. I guess i'll live.

richiepad11

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
my iphone wont charge or turn on

so, i woke up this morning to charge my phone and nope!!!! nothing......
its is dead. once i put my iphone in the dock there was a red batter symbol with the lightening bolt, but that was it. after 30 minutes of charging it still would not turn on. now im here at the apple store and im gunna have to wait about 2 hours in order for them to check it out and get me a new phone:)

sm86

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Same Problem - FIXED

so, i woke up this morning to charge my phone and nope!!!! nothing......
its is dead. once i put my iphone in the dock there was a red batter symbol with the lightening bolt, but that was it. after 30 minutes of charging it still would not turn on. now im here at the apple store and im gunna have to wait about 2 hours in order for them to check it out and get me a new phone:)

I had the same exact problem and I was able to fix it! No need to take it to Apple.

(specifically convenient for those of us that got the iphone 3g on ebay)

This is how it happened:

I was talking on the iphone when it said that my battery had less than 10% so, I went ahead and connected it to the wall charger I have for it and continued to talk. 30 mins later the iphone just turned off completely. I was pretty upset to say the least. I went to turn it on again and found the same exact picture being described. I figured I just had to let it be for a few hours on the wall charger.

The next day in the morning I find out that the iphone had the same picture and had not charged 1 bit!

I restarted it (pressed the power and home buttons to force it to shut down and turned it on again) and nothing, same picture. I took out the charger and put it back, nothing, same picture (it would even turn off if I didn't put the charger back in right away).

I then used my USB dock (a dock actually for the old iphone version, but that still works for the 3g, if you force it in). And nothing my computer would not recognize it.

Finally I thought of something:

I placed in the dock and turned it on, once again giving me the annoying battery screen. However, this time I actually restarted my computer. My rational was that if the device was connected while it was booting up the computer had to recognize it somehow.

During my computer's boot sequence the iphone appeared to had turned off, I didn't touch anything though. After windows loaded, I noticed that still the iphone was black as if it was turned off. Thinking that it probably ran out battery once again, I went to turn on the iphone while still having it on the dock (during this whole time I had not removed it from the dock).

And alas! I saw the apple symbol and my springboard showed up!

It is now currently charging (I can see the charge increase on the screen, when I lock the screen, it is now halfway and green) on my usb dock.

I went to place it back on the wall charger though and it seems that it doesn't work. I will be buying a new wall charger soon.

I am thinking when I was talking on the iphone and connected it to the wall it simply never charged and thus the battery completely drained. As soon as I placed it on something that wasn't broken (ie: my iphone usb dock) it started to charge but still was frozen on that (stupid) battery screen. Restarting my computer while connected did something to the iphone so that now it is fully operational. All without having to resort to apple's communist ways of trying to control all aspects of your life.

Personally I'm not an apple fan. I "gave into" the whole iphone thing when I figured out there was a generation of people my age committed into fighting back the apple empire while still using its technology.

Cheers

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I had this same thin happen to me for about 3 days.

Then I took it to the Apple Store and they gave me a new one...which is good because my old one had some dents from getting smushed in a carry-on luggage bag. :rolleyes:

jb2300

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Phone shut off last nite had some battery left so plugged it in last nite ,this morning still nothing wont start went out plugged into my car charger with in 10 mins she came back to life. Maybe it will work for some of you good luck

itsgonewrong

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
My iphonewont turn on!!

Ok so last night I was putting a tv showon my iphone(I have a 3g s if it makes a diffrence), i synced with itunes, and at the time it had 33% but then I pressed eject and it said ok to disconnect, so I took it out plugged it into the wall with the usb and wall charger adapter to let the usb go into wall, so then I decided to take it out again and charge it upsstairs because other people were at my house and they were prbable going to mess with it and I plugged it in upstairs in my bedroom, and I just woke up this morning and, IT WONT TURN ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tryed puting it on itunes to see if that will help(because once I accidentaly deleted all data and setings on my phone) and it doesnt come up on my computer with IPHONE, where it shows it next to the c drive icon, nor will itunes recognize it........ I dont know what to do I tryed everything and it still hasnt worked!! very upset:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

calvinsc

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
I had the same exact problem and I was able to fix it! No need to take it to Apple.

(specifically convenient for those of us that got the iphone 3g on ebay)

This is how it happened:

I was talking on the iphone when it said that my battery had less than 10% so, I went ahead and connected it to the wall charger I have for it and continued to talk. 30 mins later the iphone just turned off completely. I was pretty upset to say the least. I went to turn it on again and found the same exact picture being described. I figured I just had to let it be for a few hours on the wall charger.

The next day in the morning I find out that the iphone had the same picture and had not charged 1 bit!

I restarted it (pressed the power and home buttons to force it to shut down and turned it on again) and nothing, same picture. I took out the charger and put it back, nothing, same picture (it would even turn off if I didn't put the charger back in right away).

I then used my USB dock (a dock actually for the old iphone version, but that still works for the 3g, if you force it in). And nothing my computer would not recognize it.

Finally I thought of something:

I placed in the dock and turned it on, once again giving me the annoying battery screen. However, this time I actually restarted my computer. My rational was that if the device was connected while it was booting up the computer had to recognize it somehow.

During my computer's boot sequence the iphone appeared to had turned off, I didn't touch anything though. After windows loaded, I noticed that still the iphone was black as if it was turned off. Thinking that it probably ran out battery once again, I went to turn on the iphone while still having it on the dock (during this whole time I had not removed it from the dock).

And alas! I saw the apple symbol and my springboard showed up!

It is now currently charging (I can see the charge increase on the screen, when I lock the screen, it is now halfway and green) on my usb dock.

I went to place it back on the wall charger though and it seems that it doesn't work. I will be buying a new wall charger soon.

I am thinking when I was talking on the iphone and connected it to the wall it simply never charged and thus the battery completely drained. As soon as I placed it on something that wasn't broken (ie: my iphone usb dock) it started to charge but still was frozen on that (stupid) battery screen. Restarting my computer while connected did something to the iphone so that now it is fully operational. All without having to resort to apple's communist ways of trying to control all aspects of your life.

Personally I'm not an apple fan. I "gave into" the whole iphone thing when I figured out there was a generation of people my age committed into fighting back the apple empire while still using its technology.

Cheers

Thank god for this post.

I am using an 8GB iphone 3G with OS 3.0 JBed.

My sis was playing games on my phone until the battery depleted. I thought a charge overnight would solve the problem. But NOPE! I woke up the next morning, the battery indicator was still red. So, as usual, googled and this topic came out as one of the results.

I tried restarting using my laptop. It didn't work. Then i plugged it into my desktop to restart. I am not too sure of the right procedure to get it working though.

At first I tried it when the indicator was still showing. No luck. Tried a hard reset to the point it just turned off. I left it plugged into the desktop and restarted again.

I went for a quick toilet break. Came back, pressed the power button, the apple logo showed and it booted. It was 7% Charge left in the battery. At this point of typing, it's 47%. I sure hope it will charge to a 100%

Thanks again! Will update one I get a 100% full charge.

Update: Phone fully charged! Phew!!!

xxsk777

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
there is an easier way instead of just guessing....
when you plug it into any form of charging source...just completely shut down your iphone...and leave it there for how ever long it takes to charge...(to be able to use it again is about 30 minutes)depends on your energy source

Akatosh66

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
apple screen

Well im having the same issue sort of you see my phone was working just fine one day and i had to reboot my device and well when it was at the apple logo it just stays there and it wont turn on past that i've tried putting it into recovery mode it doesnt work i've also tried putting it into dfu mode and still no dice i havent connected it to my PC yet to see if itunes will pick it up but im certain it won't due to the issue at hand and i dont think i should take it to apple because my iphone is jailbroken and whatnotl...anyone care to share some thoughts oh and also i have the first gen iphone the one before the 3G and 3Gs

tomwatson53

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Wont turn on possible fix

First open iTunes and Conect your iPhone cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while conecting the iPhone cord into your iPhone continue to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes. Good Luck!

mumtaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
Wow!

You might try holding down the power and home buttons at the same time. Wait until you see the silver apple. Thats what I did when mine wouldn't turn back on. :)

To think that I laughed when I read your suggestion! Thanks a lot...its saved me!

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I tried both of these. the home and power button wont reset it, and the charger doesnt charge it. I know its dead (battery) but how do i get it to charge.

If you ran the battery dead and it shut itself off, you have to plug it and wait 5 or so minutes for it to charge up for a little bit, THEN you can go and turn it on. My iPod touch did the same thing, Thought it was broke, but I had to let it charge for a little bit before attempting to turn it back on.

sonthomsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
First open iTunes and Conect your iPhone cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while conecting the iPhone cord into your iPhone continue to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes. Good Luck!

YEAH man!!

thanks....

You rock!

profipix

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
I'm glad I found this forum.
Guys, I have similar problem.
I connect my iphone (2nd generation) to comp, it says right away that it's connected to itunes. Itunes does not find the phone.
Then the phone start blinking, restarting, starting from the silver apple screen, turns off, then starts again, with that apple screen, then turns off again, and just cycles like that.
I have no clue what could be the cause. I've tried holding those 2 buttons, and played w/ them, no luck. Itunes is the latest version. Runnig WinXP SP2. Drivers are good.
check out the attached zip for info...

Attachments

• iTunes Diagnostics.zip
    881 bytes · Views: 3,536

lgphone

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
iphone won't turn back on

Thank you so much!!! I spent 3 hours messing with my phone thinking that it was broken. This was the fix!!

mjritter

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Carmel, IN
Yeah my iPhone seemed fine, but I pulled it out randomly and it wasn't on...the screen was just black and unresponsive. I went home and plugged it into the wall, nothing happened. Panicked, I plugged it into my MacBook, only to get the same result. Hopped on here and read that I should hold the home button and the lock button down at the same time for 10 seconds...and it worked. Hope this helps. Sometimes my phone will just randomly die even when its says it's half-charged a few minutes beforehand. You all know how Apple batteries are.

Reactions: seam

LoriSD5

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
it worked for me...

I had to hold down both for almost 10 seconds and then it came out. Maybe try plugging it in and then holding down both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.