Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

23am

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello!
I'm first out with my home network diagram:

AEaCffkzv.png

Use for example MS Visio (In Crossover or similar) to draw the diagrams.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Hey, I thought I was the only nerd who made diagrams of his home network :p

Here's my current one; past (and more complex ones, from when I had roommates) diagrams are kept in an archived page on my web site.

More details here.

I started making these because I was having trouble keeping track of the IP addresses for all the components I used to have (once I switched to Mac, and got married, the number of devices on the network dropped significantly).

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I've got 2 networks, one at my house down at college, and one at my parents house at home (where I live during the breaks, so I included my crap on that one too)

College:
collegenet.jpg

Home:
homenet.jpg

Click both to enlarge

Now, you're probably wondering to yourself right now, "yg17, based off your home network diagram, all of your crap has wireless, why don't you use it down at college?" Excellent question. There's something, I don't know what, near our house that likes to kill wireless connections. Something interferes with it and every now and then, the connection craps out, and it's really annoying, so, I just use wireless for my phone (because I rarely use wireless on it, T-Mobile's data network is fast enough for most things I do on the phone), my Xbox 360 since I don't play on Live often, and my PowerBook because I don't use it too often at the house either. And for the latter 2, they're close enough to a switch that I can plug them in if needed.

roker

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
New Zealand
OK here's mine, it's a pretty simple setup & an even more simple diagram done in Ps.

Attachments

• Set-up.jpg
    Set-up.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 724

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'm just waiting for someone to post a diagram with a fixed external IP address combined with the make and model of their router/firewall :cool:

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
click for larger...

The aggregate switch and DSL2 line will be added in the next few weeks - we've got our second phone line in and ready :)

- Internet - Two Business Grade 8mb ADSL lines (8mb down/832kbps up) each with a /28 CIDR
- Aggregate Switch (AGGSW) provides redundancy/load balancing of connections
- Main Switch (MSW01) to provide gigabit switching within network
- Printey, our lowly networked HP DeskJet
- Two Xboxes (one original, one 360)
- One desktop PC (not mine, a flatmates')
- G01, G02, G03 linked by WDS to provide 'interwebs', our 128bit WPA2 secured WiFi covering the whole flat
- A second gigabit switch, providing switching to the servers:​
- 'M', mail server
- 'T', torrent server
- 'W', web server
- 'D', database server​

All machines allowed to join the network require their MAC addresses added to the DHCP service (running on the mail server). DHCP leases provide a 10.0.0.x address. The four servers, and my MacBook Pro have external static IPs, as does the printer. A /28 CIDR means that we have 16 static IPs from each DSL connection.

We don't have a separate firewall box because both the two ADSL modems, the aggregate switch, and the server switch provide this. So it's not really needed.

The four servers are mainly mine for development and testing, however the torrent server is being used increasingly often. Its main purpose is to allow us to just email a .torrent file and let it do the rest. It just adds it, and emails us daily updates until we get a confirmation it's done. Then we just pick whatever it is off the drive. The network traffic is shaped so that we get optimal browsing speed while also downloading torrents at a decent rate.

Oh, and I forgot to add the phones - my WM5 'smart' phone, my iPhone, and my flatmates' P990i.

I'm glad I'm not trying to note out my work network... I work for an ISP*.. :eek:

*which is also the reason I've got another DSL line coming. Why not, if you can get it free :cool:

I'm just waiting for someone to post a diagram with a fixed external IP address combined with the make and model of their router/firewall :cool:

lol. you really think anyone will? :eek:

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN

On my older diagrams I did (I post them on my site because I got a lot of people wanting to know how to setup a home network), but it didn't matter...no one ever got in because I actually set my passwords to something very long and secure. Anyone who spends 10 seconds looking at my stuff will realize which domain goes to my home network anyway. No one's ever gotten in. I do keep an eye on my auth logs.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Humble network in my dorm room.

IMGP0126.jpg

IMGP0128.jpg

Switch is an Allied Telesyn AT-FS724i, beige machine on it's side is my firewall running m0n0wall (500MHz K6-2, 32MiB RAM, boots from 8MB CF card), beige upright machine is my Debian fileserver (750MHz Thunderbird Athlon, 256MiB RAM, 2x 20GB drives in RAID1, 1x 20GB spare, 1x 6.5GB boot) with an APC BackUPS 300 down on the left, black machine is my XP machine which I use for gaming & Photoshop (2.0GHz Barton Athlon, 512MiB RAM, nVidia FX5900). Also connected to the switch but not underneath the desk are my MacBook (1.8GHz C2D, 2GiB RAM), openSuSE media machine (1.7GHz Thoroughbred Athlon, 512MiB RAM) & my laser printer (HP LJ 4 M plus with JetDirect).

Johnnymac50

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
networking 2 sites with Mac OSX snow servers

I've got 2 networks, one at my house down at college, and one at my parents house at home (where I live during the breaks, so I included my crap on that one too)

College:
View attachment 91660

Home:
View attachment 91661

Click both to enlarge

Now, you're probably wondering to yourself right now, "yg17, based off your home network diagram, all of your crap has wireless, why don't you use it down at college?" Excellent question. There's something, I don't know what, near our house that likes to kill wireless connections. Something interferes with it and every now and then, the connection craps out, and it's really annoying, so, I just use wireless for my phone (because I rarely use wireless on it, T-Mobile's data network is fast enough for most things I do on the phone), my Xbox 360 since I don't play on Live often, and my PowerBook because I don't use it too often at the house either. And for the latter 2, they're close enough to a switch that I can plug them in if needed.

I LIKE WHAT YOU DID......CAN YOU HELP?
I know my macintoshes and network pretty well. I know the OSX 10.4 Server. but I have a new challenges here. I would like your guidience.

I have to interconnect (2) separate sites both of which are comcast sites. Now each site has the Snow Leopard Server. How should I interconnect these sever between sites? Now they use VPN to access because a filemaker database is being access to one site.

How should I connect the Snow OSX Sever on each LAN?
Should both Servers be directly connected to ISP using one of the (2) ethernet ports. Then the second port connects to a switch and feed the 40 in-house Macintoshes?
Then use Server for NAT, Firewall, VPN and email setup? And the Router can do DHCP.

Or should I connect Router to Router between sites then the Router to switch in-house then connect Server and clients off switch? Use Router for DHCP?*
What about NAT, Firewall, VPN and email setup?*

The goal is to get the fastest and secure VPN connection between the sites. 1 site will host an email server and filemaker database. The other site will access those services.

Thanks So Much*

SanderH

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
Hmmm, might do this when I'm really really bored.

What's it used for any way? To have a quick overview with all the IP's?

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal
Too lazy to post a pic but I'll explain it.

Cable wire comes in downstairs, goes up through the wall into the home office. Connected then to some random Motorola box videotron gave us, then to a wireless N router and then a normal router. From there it goes to my MacBook, 360, Brothers PC, Dads PC, Moms PC, Sisters PC, My PC, PS3, printer.

etc.

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
Here's my network, everything is wired with CAT5e which I ran through the walls of my house and punched down into 4 separate jacks in 2 different rooms (3 in mine, 1 in a spare room). The 3 jacks in my room goto the D-Link switch (my custom PC and my Mac Mini are connected to that), the PS3 and the 360. The remaining jack in the spare room goes to the Dell PC.

Attachments

• Network Setup (Wired).png
    Network Setup (Wired).png
    80.5 KB · Views: 616
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.