Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Hi, I just recently enabled Parental Controls on my admin account just to see how it works and stuff, and to cut to the chase, I tried to disable it and now it is blocking random pages for no reason, and no matter how many times I hit add website to the allow list, it keeps on happening. To make matters worse, in the parental controls pane it says there are no accounts being managed and that I am not using parental controls. Meanwhile, the parental controls are still blocking sites. I'm really confused, some help would be greatly appreciated!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
OS X shouldn't allow you to enable Parental Controls on an admin account. :confused: Are you sure that's what you did?

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Ya the box is unchecked now but the problem is that my computer still thinks that it has parental controls, limiting access to seemingly random pages, even certain topics on this forum!

Macintosh001

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
España
Ya the box is unchecked now but the problem is that my computer still thinks that it has parental controls, limiting access to seemingly random pages, even certain topics on this forum!
I agree with the other person that has posted...The computer doesn't let you enable the parental control for an admin account...Maybe the parental control is not the problem..or there is another admin account possibly?:confused:...or the problem can be with safari ...because you have enable it to only admit cookies from pages you have visited before..that would make sense...Hope something of these helps you

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but honestly have no idea how to fix it.

My only point was that there should have been no way you could have enabled Parental Controls on the first place...you can't even see a box to check. All you should get when you go to the "Parental Controls" pane in the admin account is something like "You can not turn on parental controls for an administrator user or network account."

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
if Parental Controls (PC) wasn't so borked I'd doubt the OP story. You can enable PC on an Admin account. It did make me chuckle a little thinking about you enabling PC on yourself. Would be funny to set bedtimes or a 1 minute daily limit. My suggestion is to make another Admin account and see if problem persists. From that account you can enable and then disable PC on the original account. I have seen some changes not stick when using PC so keep trying. Have you updated to 10.5.1? It fixed some of my problems with PC.

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Well in order to enable the parental control I first created another admin account and then made my admin account have parental controls, so it appeared as Admin, Managed. Then I disabled parental controls and deleted the other account. So now it just says Admin. But the problem is it is now blocking random pages and a parental control dialog is taking over Safari saying you need to add this to your allowed list and no amount of adding it changes anything. Also, there is no way to disable it as parental controls thinks it isn't managing any accounts. And yes, i updated to 10.5.1.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
but have you created an admin account, re-enabled then disabled parental controls? and did you originally disable before or after 10.5.1?

Macintosh001

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
España
Well maybe you can try creating a new admin account and disabling it...but I don't know I see this all too complicated..Have you tried going to Safari to preferences ,there to security and then saying to accept all cookies???

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Wow, that worked! Thanks so much! I wonder why not accepting all cookies was making parental controls ban stuff? Thanks a lot though that solved my problem.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I got the German version, too, and enabled PC just for fun. Now internet only works through cable and PC blocks random sites. Airport simply won't work. Could these two problems be related? Also, please explain how to fix PC again, I didn't get it from the post before.

And yes, I have updated to 10.5.1.

Macintosh001

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
España
I got the German version, too, and enabled PC just for fun. Now internet only works through cable and PC blocks random sites. Airport simply won't work. Could these two problems be related? Also, please explain how to fix PC again, I didn't get it from the post before.

And yes, I have updated to 10.5.1.

Looks like PC has come to your Mac to bother...Well I don't think it is related because AppleCrisp was having problems after enabling parental control with Safari and the problem was that the computer wasn't accepting the cookies.It was fixed going to Safari to preferences then clicking to security and then clicking to accept all cookies.Have you tried disabling PC?

aquaregia

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Same Problem w/Parental Controls: Admin Account Question

I put parental controls on our admin account by accident (thought it was my son's). I saw in the thread it was suggested to start a new Admin Account to change the parental controls back to 'disabled' on the original AA.

The problem I have is that the computer now doesn't recognize the password from the original Admin account. When I clicked 'parental controls managed' it unchecked 'Allow this user to administer this computer'. How am I supposed to start a new Admin Account when there is no password that lets me make those changes? AHHhhgg!

Using Version 10.6.8

Itv

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
same thing happened to me.
I did not know about a second admin account and was just experimenting with Parental Control. All of a sudden I am locked out and can not change a thing. I get tones of pop-ups with websites to block but can't do anything to manage it.
How do I go back??
I can restart my computer with my administrator password but can't do anything else.
?? Please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.