Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

I haven't tried this for myself. He says he's getting DVD-RW support and 2 X DVD-R speeds. Also allows 16X burning for CD-Rs in 12" and 15" powerbooks.

He didn't say anything about it working with the iapps so I'm waiting to try it out.

But if anyone feels like trying it out for me... I'd love to know about it. :D :cool:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
interesting indeed. is there a way i can look at some number on the drive inside the powerbook and look it up online to see if it has more potential. i remember someone did it with the powermacs to realize that they did have usb 2.0, although apple didnt enable it.

iJon

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It sounded like that was more rumor than fact, though.

The USB 2? or the Superdrive Firmware?

Speaking of USB 2... This is off topic but is it true that the Oxford 9.22 chips support FW800 and USB 2 on the same chip? Could that be why Apple is finally moving to USB 2?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I mean the USB 2.0, it just seems like I've heard lots of rumor but no concrete facts on it actually being a part of current chipsets just waiting to be turned on.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
acutually i do believe this. those people in japan are some smart guys overseas.

iJon

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'd be very cautious before hacking my firmware with a third party patch...if something goes wrong, I would feel quite the fool explaining to Apple tech why I need them to bail me out of a hardware problem that I caused.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I'd be very cautious before hacking my firmware with a third party patch...if something goes wrong, I would feel quite the fool explaining to Apple tech why I need them to bail me out of a hardware problem that I caused.

tell them it was your silly kid's fault. If you are obviously too young to have a child old enough to operate a computer like that, just tell the tech anyways and give him a nice long stare because, hey, who is he to decide that you cant have a kid....

Kiwi-Todd

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Dunedin, NZ
This issue is pretty ambiguous to me - when I was purchasing my 17" PB the first Apple literature I got was a one pager spec sheet which stated 16x CD-R and 2x DVD.

I then waited 2 months for the machine to arrive during which time the printed specs changed to 8 xCD-R and 1x DVD yet the mechanism remained the same.

Then it arrived and it burns 16x in toast and 1 x DVD!!

I would be keen to know if this patch works safely - but I sure don't want to trash my drive and void the warranty - I eagerly await some brave or loaded Mac trailblazer's feedback.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Re: Unsupported PB Superdrive Firmware

Originally posted by NavyIntel007
http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

I haven't tried this for myself. He says he's getting DVD-RW support and 2 X DVD-R speeds. Also allows 16X burning for CD-Rs in 12" and 15" powerbooks.

He didn't say anything about it working with the iapps so I'm waiting to try it out.

But if anyone feels like trying it out for me... I'd love to know about it. :D :cool:

There is a reason Apple slowed the drive down and it was not just to piss people off. I suspect that if you did use the firmware of the drive most of the CD/DVDs you created would just be coasters. If the discs get too hot inside the drive they can explode and damage you computer (it has happened to me).

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
THIS DISK WILL SELF DISTRUCT!

OH SH--! EJECT! EJECT!! NOOOOOO

:cool:

Ok seriously, if that were the case, how are the after marked companies (i.e. MCE) selling the EXACT SAME drive with 2X DVD-R and 16X CD-R? The CD-R, I don't think has anything to do with heat. It was one more thing to make the 17" look better than the 15".

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
so much for keeping the firmware from spreading around wildly before it's tested by a dozen people or so.. i really don't want anyone breaking their drive just in case.. i've only releasing this because i've been looking for something like this for so long, and maybe someone else is too..

it seems to work with iDVD 3, though i didn't go all the way burning the disk.. i didn't want to spare the DVD-R disc cuz i'm short on them :p

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'm personally just crossing my fingers in hopes that the superdrives in the new revisions will come preset by Apple to burn faster so I can take advantage of higher speeds without casing hardware issues or voiding my Applecare. If I pay $300 for it, I'd rather be able to keep it.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by cynikal
so much for keeping the firmware from spreading around wildly before it's tested by a dozen people or so.. i really don't want anyone breaking their drive just in case.. i've only releasing this because i've been looking for something like this for so long, and maybe someone else is too..

it seems to work with iDVD 3, though i didn't go all the way burning the disk.. i didn't want to spare the DVD-R disc cuz i'm short on them :p

Sorry couldn't hold it in any longer.

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
hehe, no it's alright.. it's good that it's making it's ways around, i just hope people don't just jump into this without thinking about the consequences..

that's what i'm afraid is going to happen if someone posts this to the frontpage of major mac news sites like macnn.com.. it'd rather people discuss it in private and post their experience :)

what's weird is since i posted it on aug 11th (two days ago),

Top 3 of 8 Total URLs By KBytes
# Hits KBytes URL
1 121 9.21% 87085 79.28% /files/PB_SD_FIRMWARE_UPGRADE.dmg

i've had over 120 downloads, and no one has told me if it broke their drive.. you'd think they'd be pissed and voicing it.. one guy did email me saying it worked..

but ideally i guess you have to use it for a few days to decide whether it works instead of just seeing your powerbook still detects the drive :)

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I bet a lot of people (including myself) just have it saved somewhere waiting for it to recieve underground approval. I'm waiting for lots of people to come out and say "this works fine... do it if you like."

Tell this guy that e-mailed you to open a thread on some sites and say something. Part of me is waiting for some approval, part of me has a dvd to make for my aunt's birthday. As soon as that's done, I'll probably do it.

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
Here is the confirmation you may be looking for, including a good warning i realized:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=68197

And I did email the guy telling him to post for the sake of other people's confidance.

Good luck if you decide to go through with it, and let me know if it works (or it doesn't work).

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
yah, bed, pillow, anything that doens't allow any air circulation around the underside of your powerbook (this is actually mentioned in the manual that came w/ the pb).

While the air circulation doesn't do MUCH, it is a lot better than when you put it on cloth or other material that insulates heat. The material gets warm and then there's no place for the heat to dissappate to so the heat accumualtes.

This may be the very reason apple decided to cripple the superdrive..

then again, how many people burn on the bed? probably not all of them, but maybe enough to decide to reduce the max speed to 1x so they don't have to handle warranty cases because the superdrive overheated and broke down.

god forbid that happens to anyone as a result of my firmware patch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.