Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tianuk3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Hey Guys!
Well I am just about to bite the bullet for my Macbook :D
This may only be a UK thing but..
Little problem is when I go for my educational discount it says that as standard all higher educational buyers have 3 year warranty as standard, then when I go to customise my macbook the Applecare 3 year option is still there but costs £49 instead of the usual £199. Whats the difference between the two? does anyone know? I would prefer not to pay an extra £49, but if it makes a world of difference then I will do it.
Cheers!

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
AppleCare on the UK-HE site is the full one, but you can only get it for £49 if you buy it at the same time as the Mac - if you buy later, it's full price.

The three year UK-HE warranty is hardware only - if something goes wrong with the physical machine, it's covered, but anything else isn't.

This limited warranty is also parts and labour only - you'll have to cover any costs of shipping to Apple and back, and I'm not sure you're allowed to drop it in to an Apple Store (however, I would have thought that'd be fine).

Does that answer your question?

tianuk3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Seems like its definitely worth it to get the £49 applecare cover then! Cheers mate! :)

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
AppleCare on the UK-HE site is the full one, but you can only get it for £49 if you buy it at the same time as the Mac - if you buy later, it's full price.

The three year UK-HE warranty is hardware only - if something goes wrong with the physical machine, it's covered, but anything else isn't.

This limited warranty is also parts and labour only - you'll have to cover any costs of shipping to Apple and back, and I'm not sure you're allowed to drop it in to an Apple Store (however, I would have thought that'd be fine).

Does that answer your question?

Thats not quite right.

Shipping costs don't have to paid for by the customer with the 3 year limited warranty. I have used this service in the past (more than once) and I was always sent pre-paid labels and packaging to ship back the faulty Mac.

Within the 3 years, the machine can also be taken to either your local Apple Store, or local Apple Authorised Service Provider.

The 3 year limited warranty covers both the Mac, and all accessories that came with it (keyboard, mouse, Apple remote etc..)

The main advantages of the paid for Applecare (according to Apple), is that it is not limited to hardware, and it includes the on-site visit if necessary.

I still tend to go with the extra Applecare, for £49 it really is quite good.

David

tianuk3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
ah right..well i am on tight budget after spending 84 quid on 4gb of ram :-S.
I may pass on the Applecare cover, when you say hardware cover only, does that include if i buy ram from crucial and install it myself? will i still get cover? also im guessing that means that if software messes up or a mouse i get for it messes up I am not covered on the limited warranty? if so that doesnt matter to me.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
when you say hardware cover only, does that include if i buy ram from crucial and install it myself? will i still get cover?

No version of the Apple warranty covers things you don't buy from Apple and install yourself. Neither does it cover anything you break while installing other stuff yourself. RAM is generally very easy to install. HD's may be easy or hard depending on which computer model you have. Installing anything in a mini is tricky. Look for online guides first. Best wishes.

tianuk3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
ah okay..so the difference between 3 year parts and labour and 3 year applecare seem very very small. What would everyone suggest I do here? I am on a tight budget, but I dont want a lot of hassle (i cant take macbook to applecare centre as there isnt one where i live! :-( )

Also out of interest if i bought a ipod 160gb in a month or so would I be able to cover that with my laptop applecare(not pay anymore for coverage) or is that completely different?

Thanks guys!

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

Also out of interest if i bought a ipod 160gb in a month or so would I be able to cover that with my laptop applecare(not pay anymore for coverage) or is that completely different?

Thanks guys!

completely different

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
ah okay..so the difference between 3 year parts and labour and 3 year applecare seem very very small. What would everyone suggest I do here? I am on a tight budget, but I dont want a lot of hassle (i cant take macbook to applecare centre as there isnt one where i live! :-( )

Thanks guys!

I would buy the AppleCare, especially as you don't live near an Apple Store.

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.