Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
Can anyone point me in the right direction to the easiest way to use a O2 SIMplicity simcard in an O2 iPhone 1.1.2 as im not that good with computers lol?

What i want to do is use my O2 Simplicity sim, is there anyway to do this on a new UK iPhone?

if you can do it by jailbreaking, will the edge setting work straightaway, or do you have to find them?

Many Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention i have Windows Vista Home Premium

headspace

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2005
Can anyone point me in the right direction to the easiest way to use a O2 PAYG simcard in an O2 iPhone 1.1.2 as im not that good with computers lol?

What i want to do is use my O2 PAYG sim, is there anyway to do this on a new UK iPhone?

if you can do it by jailbreaking, will the edge setting work straightaway, or do you have to find them?

Many Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention i have Windows Vista Home Premium

1) Download the 1.1.1 firmware
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...927.In76t/iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw

2) Download the Dev Team's 1.1.2 jailbreak
http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html

3) Carefully read the README file provided with the jailbreak. This gives step by step instructions on how to downgrade/upgrade and jailbreak your phone. Make sure you install SSH when the time comes as you need to have access to your phone.

4) Once you are jailbroken and activated, read my post on getting data working with an O2 PAYG SIM:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/383315/
I've provided the files you need, so it's just a case of uploading them to your phone.

Hope that helps you.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
So to clear a few things up, do you Downgrade FIRST, This

Step 1: Downgrade to 1.1.1 (if required)
*** NOTE: This guide does not guarantee it will work 100%. Also errors 1015 is expected at
the end of the process. Continue reading to understand. ***

1. Download the 1.1.1 ipsw firmware file from Apple. If the downloaded file has the extension
".zip", please remove it and modify it to end up with a filename ending in _Restore.ipsw

2. Reboot your iPhone holding the top (power) and home buttons BUT release the top button 10
seconds into it (right after the screen goes dark) and continue to hold the home button until
iTunes detects the phone in recovery mode. The iPhone screen will appear to be off, but start
iTunes if not started yet .

3. Restore your iPhone by pressing and holding the ‘Shift’ key on windows or ‘option’ key on Mac,
then click ‘restore’ to select the 1.1.1 firmware file you downloaded earlier. The restore should
go through and errors at the end with error 1015. However you will notice that the iphone is in
DFU mode with the connect to itunes screen from 1.1.1.

4. In order to kick the phone out of that mode, start TouchFree by double-clicking "windows.bat"
on Windows or "jailbreak.jar" in OS X, then click the "Boot from Recovery" button.

Then i do this Jailbreak The downgraded iPhone, This

Step 2a: Jailbreak 1.1.1 on Unactivated iPhone
*** NOTE: If your phone has been activated through iTunes, you can proceed to step 2b. ***

1. enter *#307# press call, now use the back button on the top of your screen to remove *#307# ,
now enter 0 , press call, press answer, press hold, press decline. And you get to the contact
list. And thereafter every time you push the homebutton you just slide the "emergency call"
slide, then enter 0 , press call, press hold, press decline.

2. Push contacts, end call and you get called again, this time hit decline and you access one of
menus with favorites, you can edit contacts, do a test ride on keyboard, take photos etc.

3. Now edit a new contact and type in "prefs://11" as web-address and "http://jailbreakme.com" as
an additional URL.

4. When you tap "prefs://11" you can now select your favorite WiFi gateway.

5. Now press the home button and move the slider to the dial-pad.

6. Now you can go back to the contact list by Dialing 0, push call, then answer, then contacts,
then hit the "http://jailbreakme.com" web address you typed in.

7. Scroll down to the bottom, click "Install AppSnapp". Safari will exit and you'll return to your
springboard. Wait for the phone to reboot. You are now jailbroken. and are able to use
Installer.app.

Then do this to prepare for update? This

Step 3: Prepare your 1.1.1 device for the Update

1. Launch Installer.app

2. Scroll down to Tweaks (1.1.1)

3. Select OktoPrep

4. Click Install

Then Do this to update to 1.1.2

Step 4: Update to 1.1.2

1. Connect your device to your computer

2. Launch iTunes

3. Choose your device

4. Click Update
- If update still shows 1.1.1 as being the newest version, you may download the 1.1.2 from an
Apple download server and shift-click (PC) or option-click (Mac) on "Check for update" and
select the update you downloaded.

- DO NOT CLICK OR SHIFT-CLICK RESTORE: That will wipe the changes OktoPrep made.

5. Wait forever for your device to update

Hopefully this us the right way

headspace

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2005
Correct.

As the TIFF exploit only exists in 1.1.1, you have to downgrade first so that you are able to load OktoPrep via Installer. Then you upgrade back up to 1.1.2 and let the jailbreak do it's stuff.

When you are loading the jailbreak program, make sure you check the box to install SSH as you'll need to be able to upload the files I have provided in my post.

As long as you follow each step carefully and to the letter, you will be fine. Plus, in this situation, it's usually very easy to get things back to how they were should you mess up.

ensemble

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
To those UK IPhone users who've managed to jailbreak to use the other O2 SIM alternatives, can you verify whether EDGE works ?

Also, whether it is possible to configure mail to check your Gmail or other web-based POP/IMAP e-mail accounts ?

From my understanding the only function you lose out is just Visual voice-mail?

draperm25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
OK thanks for answering my questions, sorry i was a bit long-winded, lol i was just confused and wanted to make sure it was reading it all correctly.

Before i do all this procedure, do i need to take out the Simcard that it comes with and put in the simcard that im gona be using or does'nt it matter?

Another question tho, you say that
it's usually very easy to get things back to how they were should you mess up

does that mean if i jailbreak it and then if in a couple of weeks or so theres a fault with the phone, does that mean i can put it back to the way it was (Out of box) and O2/Apple would never know?

ensemble: To those UK IPhone users who've managed to jailbreak to use the other O2 SIM alternatives, can you verify whether EDGE works ?

Also, whether it is possible to configure mail to check your Gmail or other web-based POP/IMAP e-mail accounts ?

From my understanding the only function you lose out is just Visual voice-mail?

I would also like to know if this would work on an O2 simplicity simcard, rather than an PAYG simcard, as i think the settings wouldnt work with an PAYG simcard, dunno i think i've read it somewhere? As for VisualVoicemail, i never use voicemail now, so i really wouldn't be missing out or care much if the VisualVoicemail didnt work. Or do we have to have a O2 iPhone contract?

Ben C

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
I would also like to know if this would work on an O2 simplicity simcard, rather than an PAYG simcard, as i think the settings wouldnt work with an PAYG simcard, dunno i think i've read it somewhere? As for VisualVoicemail, i never use voicemail now, so i really wouldn't be missing out or care much if the VisualVoicemail didnt work. Or do we have to have a O2 iPhone contract?
You need to change the APN settings in O2_UK.plist before following the instructions here:

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-elite/wiki/o2ukJailbreak

but in answer to your question, yes.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
how do you go into the O2_UK.plist bit, do you do it through your computer or your iPhone? not that techie, is there a n00bs guide on how to do this anywhere on the internet that you may know of?

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
you are basically manually hacking osx etc here, not really for noobs, you would be better off waiting for a gui, they dont usually take long to come out, or just do it legit and have a data plan and upgrade new features hastle free.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
What i was thinking was, getting a Simplicity simcard, and adding the Bolt-on data plan aswell, if i do this after jailbreaking my phone, will it work or will i have to go into the O2_UK.plist and change anything?

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
you DONT need to unlock a new iPhone to use it with an O2 SIM- any SIM from O2 will work.

Your only problem is activating the phone.

You could always sign up for a contract so the phone is activated and then put your simplicity card in and cancel the contract.

That is the simple solution. No hacking required!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.