Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hah116

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Hello,

My iPhone has very recently been misbehaving.
It constantly freezes and locks up on the screen where you have to slide and unlock it. The animation behind the slider stops and the screen is unresponsive to touch. The phone has locked up in the Mail app and this problem is really worrying me.
I tried to restore and update it to 1.1.2 hoping that would help... and it has not.

Any advice on what could be the problem?

Thanks!
hah116

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
I had the same thing happen to me twice tonight, first time is ever happened and of course it was when I was with friends and trying to show them how good the phone was doh!

arrash

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
Marlborough, MA
Hey,

I had the EXACT same problem today with the freezing on the unlock screen and the slider animation freezing. Actually, my wife's iPhone and mine both froze like that completely. What I found out was it was the wifi causing it. Earlier today, I went to a relatives home who had the same wifi network name (SSID) as I do at my home except our WPA passwords are different. I went into the wifi setup, "forgot" the network in there and then re-added my home wifi network. Since then, it works like a champ! If you changed your wifi password, network name (SSID), or were recently in another location that might have the same SSIS, check that out first and foremost!

I was getting ready to uninstall my apps, restore back to factory settings and go from there when I had a hunch about wifi. Let me know if that works for you.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Mines was doing this when I was showing the phone off to people and using GPRS. I don't believe there was a wifi signal where I was. It was really bad but sorted itself out after an hour or so. It basically froze on the menu and would seem to catch up with things I had pressed about 30 seconds beforehand. Eventually it froze on the slider when trying to unlock it. I was in a pub and left it and it sorted itself out but didn't amuse me or impress the people I was showing it too!

CRMad

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
I just got an iPhone last week and was shocked when I had this problem. I was able to diagnose that it is related to the wifi connection though. What I was able to figure out was when it freezes then press the volume up or down buttons. It will then sort of respond. You keep doing that until you can get to the Settings and turn the WiFi off. As soon as you turn the WiFi off then it returns to normal. I am now trying to get into the habit of turning the WiFi off when I am leaving the connection that I am using and then turn it on when I want to find another connection. This will also help increase the battery life.

I hope this helps someone.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
I find that if it's under 250 MB free, I start to see these symptoms.

Hello,

My iPhone has very recently been misbehaving.
It constantly freezes and locks up on the screen where you have to slide and unlock it. The animation behind the slider stops and the screen is unresponsive to touch. The phone has locked up in the Mail app and this problem is really worrying me.
I tried to restore and update it to 1.1.2 hoping that would help... and it has not.

Any advice on what could be the problem?

Thanks!
hah116

twinclaire

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Hi this happend to us, if you press the off button of at the top and the bottom button of together hold both in for about 30 seconds this will unfreeze it without you having to reset it, works for us hope this helps
melanie.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Hi this happend to us, if you press the off button of at the top and the bottom button of together hold both in for about 30 seconds this will unfreeze it without you having to reset it, works for us hope this helps
melanie.

That is what Apple actually call a reset :):

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/troubleshooting/phone/#

Reset

To reset iPhone, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least 10 seconds. During this time, a red "power off" slider may appear, but do not release Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until the Apple logo appears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.