Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has acknowledged to InformationWeek that it has received reports of MacBook hard drive failures and is looking into the problem.

Seagate was not immediately available for comment, but Apple spokesman Cameron Craig said the company was aware that there might be a problem. "We've received a few reports that some MacBook consumer notebooks may have hard drive issues, and we're looking into it," he said.

UK data recovery firm Retrodata earlier this month discovered a flaw in the some hard drives employed in Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro computers. The firm's analysis at that time had indicated that Seagate hard disks in the models with firmware 7.01 were unusually prone to read/write head failures that caused physical gouges in the hard drive platter, making recovery impossible.

Article Link

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
Since Apple is acknowledging this, I sure hope that we get either an extended warranty or offer for replacement. My MBP has a drive that fits in this group, though it seems to work now. It's out of warranty and I'd rather not foot the bill if it fails prematurely.

thingamajigidid

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Since Apple is acknowledging this, I sure hope that we get either an extended warranty or offer for replacement. My MBP has a drive that fits in this group, though it seems to work now. It's out of warranty and I'd rather not foot the bill if it fails prematurely.

if i were you i wouldn't wait till it failed to get it replaced...
not sure what apple is planning on doing right now... but i would take my computer in.. be like.. look i am not planning on waiting till my information is gone because of the hard-drive.. i rather you guys fix it now.. then play the waiting game..

but hey.. backup drives are always cheap now a days. just incase..

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.

It's not (quite) ready for Leopard (should be in the next couple/few weeks?), but if you want a super simple solution for keeping your data 'safe' from absolute catastrophe then SuperDuper! is your answer.

But, yeah, I'd also like to have a dependable replacement drive if I were in that group. :eek:

macomposer

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2002
I've had a dead one sitting on my desk for a few months, and I bought another drive to replace it because I was out of warranty. I hope they do an exchange program so I can send that paperweight in for a new drive!

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

my friend works at a school where a lot of Macbook drives have failed. I'm not sure if Apple has covered them, though I'd be surprised if they didn't. It's for sure an issue for them.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
sorry, i'm a little unfamiliar with this issue (I have a MBP), but is there any way to tell which MB (or MBP?!?) is affected? I just want to make sure all the photos on my mom's MB aren't in jeopardy...

I am glad, though, that (it seems) Apple is addressing this

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
if i were you i wouldn't wait till it failed to get it replaced...
not sure what apple is planning on doing right now... but i would take my computer in.. be like.. look i am not planning on waiting till my information is gone because of the hard-drive.. i rather you guys fix it now.. then play the waiting game..

but hey.. backup drives are always cheap now a days. just incase..

I've got Time Machine going, as well as other backups, so I'm not really worried about losing data, but I am worried about downtime. If there's an option of replacing it before it fails, I would be interested in doing that. However, I don't plan on taking the time to drop by a store and ask an Apple employee to do something that I'm sure they're not authorized to do.

gutefahrt

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
I bought a refurb MB and couldn't install Leopard. After about 4 calls to tech support trying different workarounds, the HD became corrupt. In fact, the whole 'puter became so messed, it couldn't even boot from the install DVD. I was able to return it without a restock fee and then bought a Santa Rosa MB.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Hopefully those who have had issues get them resolved quickly. I hate hearing stories of people loosing data due to hardware problems.

Corran Horn

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
I'm wondering this too. My friend just bought a MacBook and I'd like to see if she's affected.

Go to System Profiler and under Hardware select Serial-ATA.

(At least that's how I looked... saw that I had a Fujitsu drive and stopped looking there...)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 910

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
To check your drive, click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner, then "About This Mac." Click "More Info..." to open System Profiler. Under the "Serial-ATA" section, find your hard drive. If it's a Seagate and has "7.01" listed as the Revision, then yours is affected.

thingamajigidid

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
I've got Time Machine going, as well as other backups, so I'm not really worried about losing data, but I am worried about downtime. If there's an option of replacing it before it fails, I would be interested in doing that. However, I don't plan on taking the time to drop by a store and ask an Apple employee to do something that I'm sure they're not authorized to do.

i am sure glad you have a backup drive.. but you as the consumer, shouldn't be told hey you have a "potential - bad drive" .. but heres a good reason to buy a backup drive.. buy it.. to back up just incase..

even though you should have a backup just incase.. because any drive fails...
just that a potentially bad hard drive is more likely to fail faster ;)

heres to the wait...
i wonder what will happen to the already.. dead and replaced hard drives people had with no warranty...

spikeymike83

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
mine says 7.01 but I'm not sure if I have a Seagate drive. Would it say "Seagate"? Thanks in advance, I am a long time reader, but don't post very often. My MBP is a 2 GHz Core Duo if that helps any. I am trying to put a pic in, but if it doesn't appear, the model of the drive is: ST98823AS

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 295

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
i am sure glad you have a backup drive.. but you as the consumer, shouldn't be told hey you have a "potential - bad drive" .. but heres a good reason to buy a backup drive.. buy it.. to back up just incase..

even though you should have a backup just incase.. because any drive fails...
just that a potentially bad hard drive is more likely to fail faster ;)

heres to the wait...
i wonder what will happen to the already.. dead and replaced hard drives people had with no warranty...
Agreed. Certainly I don't want to have a drive fail, and I agree that I shouldn't have to suffer if the failure rate is high.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
To check if you have the 7.01 version, check system profiler under Serial ATA.
Mine is this:
Revision: 0081001C
so I guess I don't have the faulty drive.

Edit: People beat me to mentioning the system profiler.

Also, my drive is a Fujitsu, so no faulty drive for me!

T

The Toddfather

I purchased my first Mac (black MacBook) early this year and the hard drive failed when it was less than five months old. Although they replaced it, it was a huge inconvenience. I've owned over twenty PC's prior and never had a problem like this before, not what I expected for a machine twice as much as a PC.

Crash-n-Burn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
mine says 7.01 but I'm not sure if I have a Seagate drive. Would it say "Seagate"? Thanks in advance, I am a long time reader, but don't post very often. My MBP is a 2 GHz Core Duo if that helps any. I am trying to put a pic in, but if it doesn't appear, the model of the drive is: ST98823AS

You have a Seagate drive.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
data recovery

if apple does issue a recall or warranty notice of some sort, i hope they include a data recovery method for HD's that still work but are under recall. as is, i think they charge somewhere between $75-100 to have data backed up if they are working on your computer/replacing hardware.

spikeymike83

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for confirming.

I just installed Leopard so I backed up my iTunes and iPhoto. Not too concerned about losing anything else. However, as much as I love my Mac, I hate that its faulty, especially since its not even fully paid for yet. Additionally, I love that my warranty has run out.

Should I take it into a retail store, or just back up things I want to keep safe until Apple says otherwise? I don't have a big external drive, i just made CDs of my music and photos and have documents on a flash drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.