Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Just a quick question about the buying process. Can I just pop into Carphone Warehouse and buy the iPhone in its box, then walk out and activate it using iTunes at home? Or would I have to muck around getting contracts sorted out in-store? (If its the latter I am not sure that I can be bothered going through with it - I'll just order online).

Cheers,
David

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

if u can go to an o2 store to save any hassle. Cw may keep u there for 2weeks make u pay twenty pound a week for insurrance and probably give you a job.

AndyClarke

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
Fernhurst, Hampshire
I was forced to pay by credit card at the carphone whorehouse and they refused to take cash from me, they said it was to prevent fraud with the iPhones, sounds lame to me. They also try and sell you phone insurance.

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I was forced to pay by credit card at the carphone whorehouse and they refused to take cash from me, they said it was to prevent fraud with the iPhones, sounds lame to me. They also try and sell you phone insurance.

1. Its paid by card because they can track how many iPhones someone is buying (2 max per credit card i think) although its 5 per credit card online.

although i have bought 3 from the apple store.

2. Phone insurance is just a waste of time, and quite alot of hassle to cancel as they offer you more deals when your trying to cancel.

I recommend trying to go to the apple store in person to buy it. They don't make you sign anything, they even email you the receipt.

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
I went to CPW and my mate went to O2 shop .. we both had VERY different experiences buying our phone

at the O2 store the sale went something like this : Hand over credit card, buy phone walk out of shop and activate with iTunes. total time in-store was about 2 mins.

at CPW I had to provide credit card for credit check - then credit card again to purchase the phone. then plenty of form-filling and then yes they try to sell you phone insurance. It took me about 30 mins from point of approaching counter to walking away with phone.

I'd recommend going to an O2 store over CPW ;)

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
at CPW I had to provide credit card for credit check - then credit card again to purchase the phone. then plenty of form-filling and then yes they try to sell you phone insurance. It took me about 30 mins from point of approaching counter to walking away with phone.

Yup, that sounds about right - to make matters worse I bought one on launch night too, so had to experience the wonder that is "The Carphone Warehouse Country-wide system crash!" which meant I had to wait even longer to get out the damn store.

Try an O2 Store or an Apple Store.

AndyClarke

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
Fernhurst, Hampshire
Yup, that sounds about right - to make matters worse I bought one on launch night too, so had to experience the wonder that is "The Carphone Warehouse Country-wide system crash!" which meant I had to wait even longer to get out the damn store.

Try an O2 Store or an Apple Store.

Yes thats the experience I had as well. I was in the shop for over an hour even though I was third in the Q. I think they make you pay by credit card or check your credit card so as to minimise the returns. As you know if you buy from the CPW and you fail the credit check on itunes you can return the iphone for a full refund (within seven days of purchase that is). I guessed that if you had a credit card then you are more likely to pass the credit check. Would I use the CPW again???? Not a chance!

bassjunkie

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Leighton Buzzard, UK
I also brought from the CPW on release night and had the joy of them swipping my card about 20 times trying to hit it lucky with the system! Although I was 9th in the que, (arrived at 17:45) it took me roughly 1 hour from joining the que to getting it home and activating :) which I thought was not bad going....

April Dancer

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Surrey, UK
CPW here to but it took me about 7 minutes and most of that was the young lad trying to find the right form. Told him I had the insurance covered and that was it, dead simple.

Pretty impressed on the whole, or maybe I'm just in a good mood because they said my number would be transferred today, and it was. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.