Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
Hey my friends 5g 30gb iPod is acting funny, it will only play through the left ear. But when you press down on the headphone "probe" it will play through both ears. I did a hard restart on it but that didn't help also I shot some compressed air down there again no results. To me this sounds like a hardware problem and I would imagine it would have to be replaced any ideas on how to fix this without full replacement, as I am almost positive its Applecare has expired.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hey my friends 5g 30gb iPod is acting funny, it will only play through the left ear. But when you press down on the headphone "probe" it will play through both ears. I did a hard restart on it but that didn't help also I shot some compressed air down there again no results. To me this sounds like a hardware problem and I would imagine it would have to be replaced any ideas on how to fix this without full replacement, as I am almost positive its Applecare has expired.

My brothers 80gb 5g iPod was having a problem where sound would quit altogether, randomly, for random amounts of time. I don't remember how he ended up fixing it, seems like it was one of the first updates for it....i don't remember....does he have the latest software updates for it?:apple:

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Have you tried it with more than one pair of headphones? Maybe the iPod is fine and the headphones are the problem. If the iPod really is faulty you should probably just take it in to an Apple Store.

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
Have you tried it with more than one pair of headphones? Maybe the iPod is fine and the headphones are the problem. If the iPod really is faulty you should probably just take it in to an Apple Store.

Yes I have, The nearest Apple Store is 200 miles away :D

davedecay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
PA
I have replaced two of them. The cable is not too expensive, but you have to have a delicate touch to replace it safely.

There's a video on ifixipodsfast.com

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
same problem with my sister's iPod video, G5 30 GB. No sound on the right side. And it's not the headphone, it's really is the jack. I will try to exchange/fix it sometime when I got time. There's no such thing like an Apple Store here anyway and it's out of warranty for a long time.
Doing myself should do the trick.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Sounds to me like way too many people leave the earbuds/headphones connected while not in use then tightly wrap the cord around the iPod. Yes that will damage the headphone jack far more than inserting and removing the headphones hundreds of times. Thats they're designed for ;) They're NOT designed for extreme amounts of stressed caused by tightly wrapped cords.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
Sounds to me like way too many people leave the earbuds/headphones connected while not in use then tightly wrap the cord around the iPod. Yes that will damage the headphone jack far more than inserting and removing the headphones hundreds of times. Thats they're designed for ;) They're NOT designed for extreme amounts of stressed caused by tightly wrapped cords.

When you do that, normally the headphones break first. At least that's mine and my friends experience. I wrapped the cable around it without unplugging for many years on my old and still running G3. That survived everything up to date. Not that I want to damage it..

Maybe it happens more on the newer generations..or am I just one lucky person?

egrill

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
iPod nano audio jack

My wife's nano has been replaced once and waiting for a third. The jack is the problem because neither buds nor full earphones (new) will work. On the other hand, it plays uninterrupted on a Bose docking station. This looks like an audio jack manufacturing problem.

Alexmaui

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Nano jack problem

I just got my new 5th Gen Nano....It's very pretty BUT MY earphone jack doesn't work, either....also it really is too small and light for easy use. I'm so disappointed...I really preferred my late great Mini....so I guess I'm headed back to the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.