Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I am currently working from home as a freelance copywriter. I like it a lot, but the income is somewhat unstable, particularly at holiday times and in the dead of summer. A secondary job would be all I need to stay secure, but most in-office part-time jobs require anywhere from 20 to 30 hours a week, and I need to keep my principal focus on building my writing business, which means I have to be flexible enough to meet with clients, etc. I'd consider delivering food or something, but I can't afford to trash my car.

Is there another home-based job I could do that isn't a scam? So many of them seem to be of the "envelope stuffing" variety....

I would be interested in hearing any stories from people who have had good experiences (or bad ones!) with these kinds of jobs, so I know what might be legit and what definitely isn't.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If there are some home businesses in your area, helping out one of them on a part time basis may work.

Though you may be operating in their home.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
If your typing skills are good, I think transcription jobs (autopsies and other unsavory things) are available and pay reasonably well.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
What do you look like? How flexible are your morals? the "webcam" buisness is booming :D:D

"But what I really want to do is direct...." :)

In terms of the web, sometimes I wonder about blogging. I know some people have turned blogs into successful income generators, but I don't quite grok that process. To misquote South Park:

1. Popular topic, entertainingly presented
2. ???
3. Lots of readers
4. Paid advertisers
5. Profit!

Is that how it goes?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Go get a real job you hippie!

LOL I'm kidding really. I would say that your best bet would be the transcribing as someone mentioned.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
This is just a question not really a suggestion, but do the people on Apple.com, the customer service people, work at home or are they outsourced in like India or something?

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My idea of a work from home job is my current job.

Work from home and make $XX,000 a year.

Only catch is you also work 50-60 hours at the office and then another 10-20 from home, unpaid.:(

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i think you would be wiser to spend the 20 hours you would work at another job developing your freelance business instead. take those 20 hours and do nothing but chase leads, develop marketing, send out RFP's etc.. ultimately it will be more rewarding and most likely much higher paying.

in case you dont already, you should really be reading freelanceswitch.com every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.