Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kisskisskiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Hi everyone! I'm a long-time reader but this is my first post because it's the first time I've ever done something that needed an actual post in the forums. So here goes!

I dropped my iPhone on its left top corner (I wasbending down to pick something up, it fell out of the pocket of my sweatshirt) and now the ring/vibrate switch is totally jammed. I know it's completely my fault, but is there any way I can take it into a store and somehow arrange for it to be repaired? I don't need a new one or anything like that- I just want to get it sent in so that the switch works again. Would I have to pay the full $250 for the replacement iPhone? Or is there some other thing I can do to save myself the expense?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My daughter has dropped her iPhone a couple of times and now the vibrate doesn't work. Took it to the Apple store and was told since there was visible damage that it would cost $250 to replace it. Needless to say, my daughter still has an iPhone whose vibrate doesn't work.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Gah! Mine took a spill today, too. I was being so careful with it... but that didn't seem to matter.

Only a slight scrape on the bezel and a ding near the vibrate switch... but no serious damage. Was about a 2 foot drop.

I felt sick :( and I'm still upset with myself.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple charges $250 for anything... because that's a little more than the cost of a replacement phone.

However, I've seen people say there's a chance you can get away for less by sending away your unit, but telling Apple you don't want anything done until you get an estimate.

Apparently once in a while they take pity, and charge less that way.

I wouldn't count on it, but seems worth a try. Luck !

jasonsmith

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
Mine took a spill as well and landed exactly where yours did, but no permanent damage. :eek:

I did the Hardware unlock many moons back, this en devour led to my lack of giving a cra& about taking it apart. If you have the kahuna's take her apart and just pop the dent back out.

That being said, it is very easy to scrap it as well.

Coletrain17

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
I feel your pain

The exact same thing happened to me. I can not switch from vibrate to ring.... it makes me sick. Is there a way to switch modes other than that switch?

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I feel bad for you guys with the broken iPhones.

As much as I like the elegant design of the iPhone, it is mind boggling to me why they put a switch for vibrate/ring mode. Apple should have just made it a "gesture" on the screen. The less buttons on the phone, the cleaner the design, and the less problems with switches or buttons going bad.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
ifixit.com is an excellent source for everything you need. They sell the back casing with all internals. You would have to spend about $60 with tools and 2 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.