Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipwsp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I'm not sure what is going on... I have a pretty large size music collection in iTunes around 7000 songs, well around 7000 songs till iTunes decided to randomly start deleting stuff.

What I have...
New White MacBook 2.2 SR with Leopard
Lacie 250 GB External Hard Drive - where the music is storied.

The Lacie was hooked up to my old eMac and work has worked fine for probably 2 years. I have moved it over to my new computer that I have had for around 2 weeks. Everything has being working fine.

What is happening....Last night (11/29)...
I'm in the process of adding cover art to all these albums, which is about to kill me... another story. Well, I get to a Ryan Adam album... it's gone. I know I didn't delete it. I go check the Lacie hard drive, the folder is still in my iTunes folder... but the music is gone. I started running up and down my iTunes library and random albums are missing. This is just a inconvenience for most albums, cause I have the cd, but some a friend let me borrow or I have lost.

The majority of the albums missing were live concert albums, .wav files. In the past I have downloaded I alot of live concerts using torrent. Well, the purest don't want you to download these to .mp3... I respect that... a lot of those albums were gone... but the Ryan Adams album is brand new, I didn't upload it a month ago...

I do have some of these albums on my ipod, I believe its a 5 generation classic. I do not know if it is possible to transfer the songs back to the hard drive, I have never tried.

I'm in the process of getting a new 500 GB drive and I did not have Time Machine running yet. wonderful!

Wandering if anyone has suggestions to what is going on? or any other experiences? Is it possible to move songs from my iPod?

Thanks for your help. Josh

inFiniTE LooP

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
i'm having the same type of problem, just started today and noticed today when i tried adding new albums to my library, i have exactly 7708 songs and every time i try to add a new folder/album, iTunes deletes it off of my hard drive. thank god i made a back up on CD before adding, wtf is going on?

I'm not sure what is going on... I have a pretty large size music collection in iTunes around 7000 songs, well around 7000 songs till iTunes decided to randomly start deleting stuff.

What I have...

The Lacie was hooked up to my old eMac and work has worked fine for probably 2 years. I have moved it over to my new computer that I have had for around 2 weeks. Everything has being working fine.

I'm in the process of adding cover art to all these albums, which is about to kill me... another story. Well, I get to a Ryan Adam album... it's gone. I know I didn't delete it. I go check the Lacie hard drive, the folder is still in my iTunes folder... but the music is gone. I started running up and down my iTunes library and random albums are missing. This is just a inconvenience for most albums, cause I have the cd, but some a friend let me borrow or I have lost.

The majority of the albums missing were live concert albums, .wav files. In the past I have downloaded I alot of live concerts using torrent. Well, the purest don't want you to download these to .mp3... I respect that... a lot of those albums were gone... but the Ryan Adams album is brand new, I didn't upload it a month ago...

I do have some of these albums on my ipod, I believe its a 5 generation classic. I do not know if it is possible to transfer the songs back to the hard drive, I have never tried.

I'm in the process of getting a new 500 GB drive and I did not have Time Machine running yet. wonderful!

Wandering if anyone has suggestions to what is going on? or any other experiences? Is it possible to move songs from my iPod?

faanjim

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
Itunes deletes music even if both M + Itunes are on the same drive

Ahhh great second time I am writing this as I got logged out.

The issue with Itunes being on a separate drive is not valid for me as I have both on the same drive.

I have been monitoring this for months, or rather watching with crazed annoyance. Nothing seems to help.

I recently had to rebuild the computer didn't stop itunes from deleting tracks, turned of let itunes manage library - didn't help, got snow leapard 10.6.5, updated itunes.....

I know the files are going missing because I have played them. Itunes shouldn't need or be able to stuff with my music once it is in place, but it still does. Happens for ripped and downloaded music.

I have a 2 yr old Macbook pro, 6GB ram 500mb HDD (replaced recently) and totally up to date software (except Lion)

I have over 50GB of music

Absolutely frustrating - I wish for a reliable music player and Library, I still haven't found one.

Is there any way to lock your music once it is in place? Without disrupting everything else?

In hope of a solution

PreetinderBajwa

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
HK
Apps and Podcasts too I think

Ahhh great second time I am writing this as I got logged out.

The issue with Itunes being on a separate drive is not valid for me as I have both on the same drive.

I have been monitoring this for months, or rather watching with crazed annoyance. Nothing seems to help.

I recently had to rebuild the computer didn't stop itunes from deleting tracks, turned of let itunes manage library - didn't help, got snow leapard 10.6.5, updated itunes.....

I know the files are going missing because I have played them. Itunes shouldn't need or be able to stuff with my music once it is in place, but it still does. Happens for ripped and downloaded music.

I have a 2 yr old Macbook pro, 6GB ram 500mb HDD (replaced recently) and totally up to date software (except Lion)

I have over 50GB of music

Absolutely frustrating - I wish for a reliable music player and Library, I still haven't found one.

Is there any way to lock your music once it is in place? Without disrupting everything else?

In hope of a solution

I am having a similar problem since I migrated my iTunes from external to internal drive, my apps got deleted randomly or show a grey exclamation next to it and when i search the apps are not there.:confused:

When I go to the app on iTunes store to download, it is grayed out and says downloaded...... I can't even do a download from there. :mad:

After sheer frustration, I went to purchases in the iTunes store front, downloaded every single app I ever owned to make sure I have everything, next day morning.... poof..... randomly a 100 of them are missing again... can't find them anywhere !! :eek:

ToxicMan

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I am having the same problem! i just bought a few songs from iTunes and now they"re gone. I noticed it went i went to listen to them on my iphone. i sync all my music, no videos. So i went to check my iTunes library and see what happened. GONE!!

Apple needs to get away from this Microsoft like model. iTunes uses a registry file like a windows regisry from microsoft. its crazy! How about just watching my music folders and leaving it at that. oh wait iTunes doesnt watch folders.

iTunes blows. it ugly, slow, unrealiable, and old... where is the innovation in the softare? Apple knows how to innovate, how about an iTunes modernization program...

Sasdoe

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Bump !

Been a while since anyone posted here but i wanted to state that i am having the same problem. Itunes deleted over 4000 songs from my library back in october, in a really random way as well. I though this was a one time event that might have been related to something i had done at the time, since i only found out 2 or 3 months afterwards and was able to find when it was deleted thanks to my time capsule.

But songs i had added only 1 month ago have been deleted again, and i have since the upgraded to itunes 11 (.0.2).

Another thing, my music is stored on my macbook pro, not on an external drive as everyone here it seems. I have it backed up on a time capsule and a server via chronosync (but this is since my music has been deleted TWICE (at least, my library seems to be quite variable as per info on the music folder when in time capsule... goes from 190 to 70 to 100 and back down to 80... really weird).

Does anyone have a slight clue as to what the hell is going on ???

Has anyone considered this might not be itunes ?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The fact that iTunes "manages" one's music without your consent (i.e., removing files when it decides to do so), is the reason I have never used and will never use iTunes as a repository for my music (I have 70+ gig of music files, stored on separate drives).

I want to be the one who decides when songs/files will be added -- not Apple, iTunes, or any other music app...

Sasdoe

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Ok, but what then ?

Sure iTunes has it flaws, but don't they all ? I like that iTunes sorts my music into neat folders, i like how it looks and i like how the playlists are done. Do you have an alternative that's both good looking and fully functionnal ?

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
i was having kernel panics each 15 minutes. iTunes sent to trash… 1 hour after i trashed it and she is still working fine.

Last edited:

PHONOReason

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
Just so everyone - and HOPEFULLY APPLE - knows, this is still happening. An album pulled from a cd has disappeared, all but 3 songs are missing from the iTunes media folder.
A favorite album of mine that had been ignored for maybe... 3 months at most?
Among 181Gb of music it takes a month or so to notice, so who knows when it was deleted.
Needless to say, after experiencing this on G1 iPods/G(whatever) iTunes I am SEVERELY disappointed to see it has yet to be fixed.

Long time avid apple fanatic (sucker for aesthetics), but I'm considering defecting ever since lion, essentially. Or just downgrading. IDK

What I have...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.