Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whistlerpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I have a macbook pro, and am thinking of getting an iPod touch, but my university network is wired. I just want to be able to use the internet wirelessly on the touch in my room if I get it.

Is there any way to get the mac to broadcast the internet it is getting through ethernet as wireless (wi-fi)?

Please respond, thanks! =)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yes you can and it is easy.

Go to system preferences->sharing->internet sharing (a tab in Tiger or it is in the list in Leopard)

Under the pull down labeled "Share you connection from" choose ethernet. In the list below check the airport box. Click start.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
I have my MBP plugged in via lan and is broadcasting WIFI. Very easy to do. I have a wireless router but it's nice having the mbp as a backup access point.

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
I have my MBP plugged in via lan and is broadcasting WIFI. Very easy to do. I have a wireless router but it's nice having the mbp as a backup access point.

I used to do the same thing until a got a new router.

jeff^d

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Wow, what a cool feature. Does the Mac just strengthen the existing signal, or does it actually create a new, separate network to connect to? Can you control wireless security settings in a similar fashion as a router?

I have an old PC with wireless in a room with my MBP. The MBP can see the router but the PC is too weak, so I'd like to get it connected as well.

My MBP is awaiting a new power adapter, otherwise I'd test myself :eek:

whistlerpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
All sounds cool, but when I do that, I get a warning saying about how I could destabilise the network and how i could break the terms of service. I don't think I would really be doing the last thing, since I don't intend to share the wifi with anyone else in the flat or around.

But how likely is it that I could cause banable damage to the network? Is it really that big a deal?

Daniel6000

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Hi,

I've referred to this thread a few times in the last year via a Google search. I have an iMac and I broadcast my wifi to my ipod and friend's mac book; it works well. Now last week I bought my Wife a netbook that runs on XP. The netbook sees the wifi signal and I can connect only if I remove the password on the signal on my iMac. If I protect the system with a password the netbook asks for the key. I enter the password as the key but it won't connect.

Any ideas?

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
All sounds cool, but when I do that, I get a warning saying about how I could destabilise the network and how i could break the terms of service. I don't think I would really be doing the last thing, since I don't intend to share the wifi with anyone else in the flat or around.

But how likely is it that I could cause banable damage to the network? Is it really that big a deal?

You can also buy this, it converts your ethernet connection to a wireless one , Buy me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.