Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sciontifictc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Hey guys this is my first post here on macrumors. I unlocked my iphone with 1.1.1 firmware last month and for some reason the sound doesn't work when i play the ipod without a headset or try to use the phone to call someone. but when i change my ringtones the speaker works and even when i make a phone call the speaker works just not the handset and when i used the ipod? also when i text there is no sound when im typing? has anyone else experienced this? i haven't done anything to my phone since i unlocked it a month ago

M

MACtavish

No Sound, No problem?

I got this from a website, I was having the same problem as you. My issue was number 6 (external speakers turned off) I was able to just call voice mail and select speaker and my sound was back :-0

Cheers

If iPhone is not playing audio, you are not able to hear anything. Check out these simple steps before you panic and call 'support'
Follow the steps below if your iPhone has got an audio problem, specifically if it isn’t playing sound:

1. Unplug and reconnect the headset
2. Make sure the volume isn’t turned down to the end.
3. Music on the iPhone might be paused. Squeeze the mic button on the headset. It will resume the song
4. Check if there is any volume limit set. Choose settings, then iPod and then Volume Limit.
5. Also make sure that you are using iTunes 7.3. Songs purchased from the iTunes Store using earlier versions of iTunes won’t play on iPhone unless and until you upgrade iTunes.
6. Make sure your external speakers or stereo are turned on and working properly if you are using the dock lines out port.

Eastonatti

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
Sitrep

Was your issue resolved? I'm having the same issue and those are too obvious to be the problem... But I checked them and this is a system failure of some sort... what happens next?

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
unplug and replug your headphones in several times. If that doesn't work, try these two, then call apple...

* Reset your iPhone by holding down the sleep and home buttons until the Apple logo appears;
* Restore your iPhone: Click the Restore button under the Summary tab. Restoring the phone will erase contacts, calendars, photos and other data on the phone, but will restore automatically backed-up information including text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, etc.

M

MACtavish

Was your issue resolved? I'm having the same issue and those are too obvious to be the problem... But I checked them and this is a system failure of some sort... what happens next?

Yes my problem was fixed... it was possbley the most obvious problem and that's why it took me awhile to work it out. (external speakers turned off, which affected the ear buds as well)

You can try a restore and if that fails and it's a hardware problem you'll need to return it to apple. BEFORE you take it into for repaire you'll need to restore it back to factory fresh state.

If any reason need to deliver your phone to Apple (service etc.), it's recommend that you revert the unlock first so that they (hopefully) can't see it's been unlocked. Install OneSIM, you can find this app and how to do all the restores/virginizing at http://iphone.unlock.no/

Once you have run OneSIM do a restore again. Remember that when apple sends your phone back it'll possibly have the latest firmware versions and you should check the bootloader version first before trying to jailbreak etc... for instructions to check the bootloader see http://www.hacktheiphone.com/112/iphone_update_112_unlock_windows.html this website also has MAC instructions.

AcidReignz

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
unplug and replug your headphones in several times. If that doesn't work, try these two, then call apple...

* Reset your iPhone by holding down the sleep and home buttons until the Apple logo appears;
* Restore your iPhone: Click the Restore button under the Summary tab. Restoring the phone will erase contacts, calendars, photos and other data on the phone, but will restore automatically backed-up information including text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, etc.

First post here. I've had this problem twice now and this solution always worked for me.

Note: I tired most of the solutions on web I could find even the plug/unplug thing to the point that I almost restored my iPhone through iTunes. No other solution worked.

It's Pretty simple. Go to Settings -> General -> Reset and choose Reset All Settings. It will reset all your settings to its original state and NO HARM is done to your contacts, calendars, photos or any other data on the phone.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
First post here. I've had this problem twice now and this solution always worked for me.

Note: I tired most of the solutions on web I could find even the plug/unplug thing to the point that I almost restored my iPhone through iTunes. No other solution worked.

It's Pretty simple. Go to Settings -> General -> Reset and choose Reset All Settings. It will reset all your settings to its original state and NO HARM is done to your contacts, calendars, photos or any other data on the phone.

This is the only solution that worked for me, thanks a lot.

kii

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
iPhone still no sound

i had the same problem with no sound while texting, clicking the sleep button, unlocking the slider, etc...the only sound i had was the ringtone when the phone rang, but i hear no sound and the person can't hear me either during calls.
i tried the plugging and unplugging technique with the headphones and still no luck. i tried to hold down the sleep button to restore my iPhone and it won't go to the restore screen! it just doesn't know that i'm pressing on it for a long time and instead it goes to sleep.

does anyone know of a way to fix this problem? my iphone version is 1.1.1

mcwells

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
General reset fixes no sound

NO SOUND: TRY THIS FIRST - IT MAY SAVE YOU HOURS OF FRUSTRATION.

Deceptively simple - and in my case as well, effective.

I had just done an upgrade to 1.1.4 two days ago and then a jailbreak and then went on a merry two pagespree of app installs. No problems unti late last night when I plugged earbuds in, then no sound this morning when I pulled them out. I must have plugged the buds in an out a hundred times and was contemplating a virgin restore when I saw this post, thinking I might have a badly behaving app in there somewhere, or a genuine hardware problem requiring a return to Apple for repair.

After the reset, my screen went black except the time bar at the top, which made me nervous, but power off/on and voila - sound was back, all apps intact, contacts and photos etc. all there.

Now I just wish I hadn't banged the corner of my iPhone where the earphone jack is on the table so hard. Definitely DON'T try that one.:)

cleung

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Hong Kong
I've had the exact same problem and I want to try to reset. Please forgive this really stupid question but I have an unlocked phone with 1.1.1. Can I just reset or do I need to do something first before resetting?

NO SOUND: TRY THIS FIRST - IT MAY SAVE YOU HOURS OF FRUSTRATION.

Deceptively simple - and in my case as well, effective.

I had just done an upgrade to 1.1.4 two days ago and then a jailbreak and then went on a merry two pagespree of app installs. No problems unti late last night when I plugged earbuds in, then no sound this morning when I pulled them out. I must have plugged the buds in an out a hundred times and was contemplating a virgin restore when I saw this post, thinking I might have a badly behaving app in there somewhere, or a genuine hardware problem requiring a return to Apple for repair.

After the reset, my screen went black except the time bar at the top, which made me nervous, but power off/on and voila - sound was back, all apps intact, contacts and photos etc. all there.

Now I just wish I hadn't banged the corner of my iPhone where the earphone jack is on the table so hard. Definitely DON'T try that one.:)

jferezy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Same thing happened to me - I went to the apple store and tried a new headphone. all of a sudden - no sound - only speaker phone worked on my phone. I was going to reset it removing all the work I did to get it where I wanted... The last post: "most of the time its dust in the headphone jack, blow it out good and try again". I thought he was crazy - I gave it a shot - and Holy moly - it worked!!!

Thanks VenomousSVT - you're a genius...

VenomousSVT

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Same thing happened to me - I went to the apple store and tried a new headphone. all of a sudden - no sound - only speaker phone worked on my phone. I was going to reset it removing all the work I did to get it where I wanted... The last post: "most of the time its dust in the headphone jack, blow it out good and try again". I thought he was crazy - I gave it a shot - and Holy moly - it worked!!!

Thanks VenomousSVT - you're a genius...

fantastic! glad it helped... I almost didnt even post that because I was certain I would get haggled for posting somethig so simple, but alas 9 times out of 10 it really is the problem

elupo

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
I have a similar problem, I have tried all the above but without success... the only sounds that are working are the ringer during the phone call and the ipod.. however sms sound, keyboard, lock etc... not working from the speaker.

The last resort I have is a restore of the phone. Thus anyone know a solution to such a problem please ?

Thanks

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
I have a similar problem, I have tried all the above but without success... the only sounds that are working are the ringer during the phone call and the ipod.. however sms sound, keyboard, lock etc... not working from the speaker.

The last resort I have is a restore of the phone. Thus anyone know a solution to such a problem please ?

Thanks

restore shouldn't be a last resort. 99% chance this is a software issue. meaning, a restore will fix it

just sync your phone first and it'll back it all up.

VenomousSVT

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Thanks

have you jailbroken your phone? if so have you toyed around with customize or sounds in the phone. If it will ring then its not the headphone plug problem. It sounds more to me like the audio files that play during these events ie. sms,keyboard,lock have been somehow corrupted. If you are jailbroken you could always try and replace one of those files with a working sound file and see if it fixes it.

elupo

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Yes it is a jailbroken one.

However I managed to fix the problem last night. Just re-installed an application I've removed in the morning and everything was back to normal.

I had the volume boost 1.1.4 installed and removing that resulted in corrupting most of the sound files.

Thank you all for your help guys ;)

VenomousSVT

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes it is a jailbroken one.

However I managed to fix the problem last night. Just re-installed an application I've removed in the morning and everything was back to normal.

I had the volume boost 1.1.4 installed and removing that resulted in corrupting most of the sound files.

Thank you all for your help guys ;)

glad to see you got it fixed!

sidearms

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I have this exact problem with no sound from the reciever (ear speaker). My only and temporarily fix is blowing into the reciever. This is so annoying. When I answer my phone I would saying, "hello?, hello?, hello!...". Auggg! I've sent it in but, it's like the singing Frog from the WB. It doesn't do that when they're looking at it. Can this trigger a replacement?

VenomousSVT

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have this exact problem with no sound from the reciever (ear speaker). My only and temporarily fix is blowing into the reciever. This is so annoying. When I answer my phone I would saying, "hello?, hello?, hello!...". Auggg! I've sent it in but, it's like the singing Frog from the WB. It doesn't do that when they're looking at it. Can this trigger a replacement?

are you blowing into the receiver or blowing into the headphone jack?

bmonster99

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
oakland, ca
I lose earpiece sound about every other time i unplug my earbuds. Speaker still works. Usually plugging the earplugs in and then out works, but today I tried that and it didn't work.

I then tried rebooting phone, restoring from itunes, resetting from iphone, and blowing in headphone jack and none of it worked. Finally, I blew in the headphone jack (didn't work) and then plugged and unplugged the earbuds and finally got my sound back.

This is completely annoying. Hard to believe that there is not an official fix for this seemingly common problem on a $600 phone!

VenomousSVT

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
officially, blowing in it by mouth may not be getting the velocity to actually dislodge dust. The apple store "geniuses" will use a can fo compressed air and blow into the socket. That having more velocity will really clear the hole. Just be 100% you dont blow any liquid into the jack ie. having the can at an angle and the liquid comes out.

pmoon22k

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
you saved me

I want to thank you so much. You just saved me from rstoring my iphone using itunes with all the conisquences of doing that.
My iphone didn't have any sound at all, and I tryed all the plug in/out of the head sets with no luck. Then, I was about to restor it using Itunes, but just before that I read your comment.

Thanks again:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.