Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
just a question.. why do people transport the dvd's to digital when the dvd will always be better quality? i mean its not exactly that hard to put the dvd into the dvd player and watch it, is it???

I do it for a couple of reasons. First of all I hate waiting for all of the FBI warnings and previews they put on DVDs before you can actually watch it. Also, with TV shows, it is much easier to find an episode when they're all at a click rather than figuring out what season it's from and then what disc of that season has it.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Well if they are like me I dream of the day I can move my DVD collection to my storage locker and clear up some clutter in my condo... every square foot counts! Also I need a better excuse to eventually buy a mac mini / :apple:tv

hahaha oh ok that seems very feasible then. yes an excuse to buy a mac mini i am also looking for, ill try this out teehee.

I do it for a couple of reasons. First of all I hate waiting for all of the FBI warnings and previews they put on DVDs before you can actually watch it. Also, with TV shows, it is much easier to find an episode when they're all at a click rather than figuring out what season it's from and then what disc of that season has it.

ohhhh yup those FBI warning thingoes can go for at least 30seconds. they are really annoying.
although, a true fan of any TV show would know exactly what episode is on what disc :p

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
As much as I'd love to jump into the HD bandwagon, I've got my poor iPhone to think about. I must say some of those collections look impressive though. Here's some pics of mine. I don't like to have multiple files so I have one rip for all my devices. The files play perfectly on any of our iPods/iPhones, the AppleTV, and the computers. The screenshot clipped off the database size for the TV shows. I've got 560 episodes. Mostly Curb your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld lol.

So just wondering what specs to rip with?

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
attachment.php

Just thought I'd drop mine in Sir.

p.s. anyone gone the whole hog with chapters via metadata hootenanny? They work all through to appletv ya know...

Just something else to sort out for every dvd I own. :eek:

Attachments

• Shoes dvds.jpg
    Shoes dvds.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 3,422

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Why did I have to wait 40 minutes for MacTheRipper to rip "Alpha Dog" then waste another 109 minutes in Visual Hub and finally 5 minutes processing a new cover art?

I paid for Visual Hub and it can't even do the ripping a free program is capable of?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
thats like complaining that you cant do layered graphics in word. Word doesnt do graphics. Visual hub is not a ripper. Just because you paid for it doesnt mean its going to do things it was never supposed to do.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Why did I have to wait 40 minutes for MacTheRipper to rip "Alpha Dog" then waste another 109 minutes in Visual Hub and finally 5 minutes processing a new cover art?

I paid for Visual Hub and it can't even do the ripping a free program is capable of?

"Ripping Programs" are not legal to sell. They ar erestricted right now due to all the grey legal areas around ripping a dvd. Thats why you cant just walk into Best Buy or the like and grab it off the shelf.

Kevin

A Mac Gamer

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
US
I have just started ripping my DVD's onto my external hard drive, but I am having a little trouble. First, I ripped my Seinfeld DVD using MacTheRipper, then I use handbrake to encode it in mp4 format, the only problem is that it only encodes the very first episode on the disc and I have no idea how to do the other ones.

Second, when I ripped and encoded Naked Gun, the quality is pretty good, but when the camera pans in the move, there is a kind of a choppy pan. Is there a setting that I can change somewhere to fix that?

Thanks!

dugs022

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
... that it only encodes the very first episode on the disc and I have no idea how to do the other ones.

I try to answer your first question.

In Handbrake screen, click on the drop down menu under Title:
It should list all the other episodes. Then, just repeat the encode for every episodes.

For example, I am encoding a movie right now. The first screenshot shows that I am enconding the main movie (title 1). If I click on Title: drop down menu, it'll show other contents of the dvd, which in my case are extra features (title 2 - 9), etc, as shown in the second screenshot.

2076355266_9f02b271ea.jpg

2076355270_c8cb1e3613.jpg

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Here's mine. Just started though so not many films on there.
phpKBqyvUAM.jpg

And my Family Guy and South Park. (Futurama and Simpsons to come)
php4lRQZuAM.jpg

Still don't actually have an Apple TV yet though... too pricey for what they are at the moment.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
here's mine, does anyone know how to change movies to tv shows without manually changing them all (it would definitely be a pain to change 150 ipod movies)?

picture246e5d.png

jensepollense

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
Virginia Tech/Blacksburg, VA
One thing in iTunes that drives me mad is how in CoverFlow, iTunes doesn't distinguish between different seasons. For example, I have more than one season of Family Guy, but when I go to CoverFlow, there is one artwork for Family Guy. Is there a solution to this?

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Apart from renaming the title "Family Guy Season X", no not really! LOL.

I can't wait for iTunes 8. I hope a bit more coverflow iPhone style action and much better media control. I wonder what iTunes would be like if DVD's were open (ie could be ripped to your computer legally).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
yew just started cataloguing all the movies that i have...using Metax and that script up the page a bit (thanks for those :))

the problem is that most if not all of the things i have are .avi. which is just a pain in the butt. i need to figure out a way to make itunes read .avi lol. or im gonna have to spend an awful amount of time converting!!!!

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
the problem is that most if not all of the things i have are .avi. which is just a pain in the butt. i need to figure out a way to make itunes read .avi lol. or im gonna have to spend an awful amount of time converting!!!!

try this my man

http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html

it lets you add almost any video format into itunes (by placing inside a .mov container).

Careful tho- it only adds the container to your library not the original file so make sure you do it manually or are careful not to delete the original file.

blimeys- I feel like a bit of a guru today!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
try this my man

http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html

it lets you add almost any video format into itunes (by placing inside a .mov container).

Careful tho- it only adds the container to your library not the original file so make sure you do it manually or are careful not to delete the original file.

blimeys- I feel like a bit of a guru today!

WOW that is flipping incredible!!! thank you soooo much mate

have a good one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.