Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
I was wondering, what is the sound quality for the 12" Powerbook against the Sound Blaster Audigy sound card? This is what I am planning to do, I got a set of B&W 603 with a decent Rotel amp... I want to plug my 12" into the Rotel amp and enjoy the mp3... Anyone can share soem experience here?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: 12" Powerbook sound quality...

well, you aren't going to get surround sound out of your laptop, if that's what you're asking. i am going to assume that the 12" Albook has the same audio out as my tibook, a 1/8" stereo jack. you can get that iCable thing that goes with the iPod, or any 1/8"-to-RCA plug adaptor, and hook it up to your standard amp (i use both my iPod and my Tibook on my receiver all the time)... the audio quality is not as good as an audigy card, i can promise that. if you want supah-sound, you are going to need to pick up a USB-interfaced audio "card" a la the Extigy, though i don't think that particular one will work on a mac. if you're trucking around the house with B&Ws, though, i am sure you can afford such a thing. that said, if you just want to listen to mp3s that aren't recorded at 320 kb/s, the 12 inch powerbook will throw out audio at just as decent a quality as any other mp3 player you'll find. you can buy a nice receiver/preamp+amp setup (i assume you have one) and wash it through that, of course....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.