Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I don't think so. Rule 2 is "7 or more off", not "more than 5 off", so it doesn't apply to 6 off. And rule 1 (5 or more on) doesn't apply to 3 on or 4 on. But because these cases have 9 in combination and 10 in combination, respectively, they meet rule 3 (9 or more in combination).

There is some confusion about the 'rules'. MacMerc mentions 7 off, whereas the blurb here at MacRumors they say 'up to 4 always-on, 5 always-off or 8 combination'. I didn't see the actual document before it was removed. If the MacRumors numbers are off that would explain the superfluous 'combination rule'.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: weak pixels

Originally posted by zaphoyd
Also note that pixels don't always stay dead or alive. When I got my DVI TiBook it had no dead pixels that I could tell. After about a month I noticed a bright green one. kind of annoying but not greatly. After a week or so it went away and It has been over a year now and i haven't seen it again.

The problem is not always with the transistors in the pixels. I have a PB3400 which has a pixel that sometimes gets stuck red. However, I've found that I can easily fix it by squeezing the border of the screen directly above where the pixel is. There is clearly a weak connection in that area that is causing the problem, but I never minded because it was so easy to fix when it acted up.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by robrippin
You do realize that the point isn't when you buy it new, pixels are dead... The point is that after using it for a while, pixels will go out on you!

Actually, robrippin, most cases I've heard of the pixels are DOA. Sometimes they can be revitalized, but sometimes not. It is true that pixels can go out, but I don't think that's really what this document is dealing with...

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
Originally posted by Kyle?
Think about it like this. In a 1024 by 768 monitor, there are 786,432 pixels. Each pixel is composed of three subpixels, for a total of 2,359,296 possible different pixel defects. If just 8 are defective that means that Apple will replace a monitor that is only .00034% defective. Considering that they in some cases they will replace a monitor with even fewer defects and that a 1024 by 768 is the smallest LCD produced by Apple (thus lowering the acceptable error rate even more for larger monitors), I think Apple is being extremely fair, some might say overly fair.

Oh, and think about this. Each pixel is .000031 square inches in area. It's simply astounding that these things can be mass produced at such low failure rates.

rock on, g! when you put it that way, it does make a ton of sense. i just bought a 15" Studio Display off eBay (the newer styled ones, just like the 17", not the crappy graphite LCDs), and I took it to MicroCenter to test it out (it's for my new G5... :D ) and was pleasantly surprised to see that it had absolutely no dead or stuck pixels. If there were, i'd understand, especially putting it the way you did... but when some people are dropping just as much on a top-end LCD as they are on their computer, they expect a certain level or perfection, and i can understand that as well...

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
any by the way...

robrippin, you need to take a deep breath, my friend... i'm sick of all this mac-on-mac crime!!!

and on a side note, the photo link for this story was taken down per request of Apple Legal, anyone save it so i could check it out?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Three words to this policy.....full of ****.

Where's the quality Apple? Stand behind your product!! :mad:

I'm sorry but the screen is your window to your computer. Anything less then perfect is BS. Esp if you are spending a whole hell of a lot of money on a laptop. I'm betting this applies to powerbooks too right? So someone spends 3 grand + on a laptop and dead pixels are an acceptable flaw?

Okay, so you want Apple to have a policy of perfection?!? Are you willing to pay for that? Your $3k laptop will suddenly cost you more like $6k to support that kind of tolerance. It's a general rule that the tighter the tolerance, the more it costs, and this is certainly no exception. Apple clearly already has higher standards than much (though perhaps not all) of the rest of the industry, so we should be happy about that, not griping that they aren't shooting for an almost impossible perfection...

Originally posted by MacViolinist
Just to back up my opening statement, Dell will replace your LCD screen for 3 on pixels and 5 off.

I know for a fact that that's not true. I had to order a laptop from Dell for my supervisor at one point, and he was quite upset by the fact that it had a number of stuck pixels (four, IIRC). I had to spend quite a bit of time on the phone, and finally ended up returning it to get a different model because that was the only way they were going to accept the return. (And, FWIW, yes, my supervisor waited a month before deciding he couldn't stand the stuck pixels...)

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I find this fancy LCD technology to be too risky. I'll stick with the old fat space hogging monitor. It would drive me insane if I had these dead or stuck pixels. I would feel ripped off it were to happen to me. I would be angry at ever buying the LCD every time I use my mac.

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
Snowy,
You got screwed man. You should call Dell and complain. I used to work for Dell. That is (at least it was 8 months ago) their policy.

(edit: you might also want to specify whether or not the 4 stuck pixels were on or off or a mix)

Mr_Mac_UK

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by robrippin
YOU don't know what you are talking about... There is no such thing as a 40-50 inch LCD. The term you are looking for is PLASMA TV! PLASMA TV's don't get dead pixels because they use a gas instead of the LED type stuff in LCD...

Ummm... Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. There is such thing as a 40-50" LCD. Have a look at the Nec/Mitsubishi Multisync 4000 - a 40" LCD Display which is far sharper than a plasma.... there are lots more out there :D

rpsx

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2003
shareware stuck pixel offer??

what would be a great addition to that policy, is some kind of above finder level application where you can just mouse click exactly where a stuck pixel is, you tell it what color is stuck, then the software will kill the suck lcd.

I have a stuck blue to the left of center on my pb g4. watching dvds sucks. a simple shareware app like this i'd pay $20-30 for, just because it is so useful. wish i could program!i think partially dead pixels are A LOT more bearable then stuck on pixels.

anyone????

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Re: Lit Pixel

Originally posted by brhmac
My G3 PowerBook ("Wallstreet") had a lone pixel that trumpeted its independence from the neighbors by shining red at all times. Go red!

It annoyed me at first, but I got used to it.

Since upgrading to Jaguar, the pixel has conformed. Can't say I miss it, but this posting has again led me to ask: What happened? Where did the defiant pixel go?

Anyone know?:confused:

Maybe it misses OS9?
You made me laugh anyway.

Mac'em X

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2003
Japan
Massaging pixels

I own a Mac that had a bad pixel. I'd read about the "massaging" trick, and gave it a try every now and then, gently rubbing the bad pixel. No effect.

Then I tried the "borders" trick. Go straight up from the bad pixel and rub the border of the screen. Then go down and rub the bottom border. Then do the same for left and right.

I know it won't work for every case, but on my machine it brough the dead pixel to life, and all has been well since.

I understand that all manufacturers allow some number of bad pixels, and know that doing otherwise would raise the cost of our machines. But I hate the "crap shoot" aspect of it, and understand buyers' anger completely.

I saw a man in an Apple store last year who was livid over a very visible stuck pixel on his new 17" iMac. He was a new switcher from Windows, and couldn't believe that the price of an iMac didn't guarantee a perfect screen. The Apple Store manager only told him over and over that policy did not allow them to accept a return for that defect.

I should have stepped in and told him what the manager should have been telling him: that it's not an Apple-only issue, and he'd be taking the same chances with other brands. But whatever the explanations and reasonings, there's no quelling a buyer who's regretting a $2,000 purchase.

I was very worried over pixels when I bought my new PB. I lucked out on the crap shoot, and got a perfect screen. But next time? I'll have to roll the dice all over again...

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Does anyone know if the OLED displays that should be out in the next 1-2 years will have these kinds of problems?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by fred_garvin
Does anyone know if the OLED displays that should be out in the next 1-2 years will have these kinds of problems?

That's a good question, does anyone actually know? (and can provide a technical explanation)

AppleMatt

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
So a few dozen bad transistors in a PPC970 should be OK?

If just 8 are defective that means that Apple will replace a monitor that is only .00034% defective. ... It's simply astounding that these things can be mass produced at such low failure rates.

By this logic, one shouldn't expect microprocessors to work perfectly - with many 10s of millions of transisters, a few dozen bad ones shouldn't matter, right?

I'll take this PB - it can't subtract, but it can add and multiply just fine!

Not.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
I should have stepped in and told him what the manager should have been telling him: that it's not an Apple-only issue, and he'd be taking the same chances with other brands. But whatever the explanations and reasonings, there's no quelling a buyer who's regretting a $2,000 purchase.

That is partly correct since if that guy has gone to Circuit City for example and bought his PC and then took it back with no reason they would accept it. No restocking no excuses. I think BB is the same. With Apple you really cannot return it. Since they charge 10% restocking fee a 2000$ can easily become 2200$ if you dont want the defective screen and none tells you that the other panel won't have the same problem. I guess this is why you have resellers. But resellers do not offer Students discounts and you cannot customise your purchase. I think it is sad that Apple does not have some period of returns without restocking fees and without needing excuses.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Think about it like this. In a 1024 by 768 monitor, there are 786,432 pixels. Each pixel is composed of three subpixels, for a total of 2,359,296 possible different pixel defects. If just 8 are defective that means that Apple will replace a monitor that is only .00034% defective. Considering that they in some cases they will replace a monitor with even fewer defects and that a 1024 by 768 is the smallest LCD produced by Apple (thus lowering the acceptable error rate even more for larger monitors), I think Apple is being extremely fair, some might say overly fair.

Oh, and think about this. Each pixel is .000031 square inches in area. It's simply astounding that these things can be mass produced at such low failure rates.

That's not the point. Even if its only .00001% defective if I end up watching a movie or editing a home video or whatever and have to have a glairing dot in my screen this is unacceptable. Even more unacceptable if I’d pay for a premium laptop like a 17”er. Yah is only my opinion but I still think there are a lot of people out there that have to agree with me. A million or a billion pixels. If it can be singled out by the human eye as a flaw it’s a problem. Now if we were talking hard drives where one or 2 sectors couldn’t be written to (Which is usually the first signs of a drive going bad but humor me.) no one would make a fuss over it because you can't “see” those bad sectors.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I see that Apple Legal has stepped in so the page is no longer posted. For those who missed it, here's a recap:

The document contained testing and customer-interaction guidelines for Apple support people, about handling LCD pixels that are always on ("bright") or always off ("dark").

The "rules" we are talking about concern how many "subpixel anomalies" are acceptable vs. not acceptable. A "subpixel" is the red or green or blue pixel at a particular screen coordinate. When the number of subpixel anomalies is acceptable, the customer is told that the LCD is within specifications and no repair is necessary. Otherwise, the LCD should be replaced.

The rules in the document cover 17" LCDs only and are as follows: An 17" LCD has an acceptable number of subpixel anomalies when the number of bright pixels is 4 or less, the number of dark pixels is 6 or less, and the total of both is 8 or less. Therefore, it is to be replaced if the number of bright pixels is 5 or more, the number of dark pixels is 7 or more, or the total of both is 9 or more.

Since the document was not intended for customers, it does not constitute a promise by Apple to adhere to the guidelines. Has anybody had experience to show that they do indeed follow these guidelines?

Aqua OS X

macrumors member
May 21, 2002
Most computer retail stores and manufacturers have deal pixel policies. Dead pixels are common, and if everyone started returning monitors for 1 dead pixel there would be no one selling LCDs.... they'd be too damn expensive.

Sometimes it is better to buy an LCD device from a retail store because retail stores may have a better deal pixel policy then a manufacturer.

For example, CompUSA will replace your LCD if you have 3 or more dead pixels. Apple will only do it if you have 5. CompUSA may be staffed with idiots, however Apple laptops costs the same there.... so why not buy one from CompUSA?

Aqua OS X

macrumors member
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
That's not the point. Even if its only .00001% defective if I end up watching a movie or editing a home video or whatever and have to have a glairing dot in my screen this is unacceptable. Even more unacceptable if I’d pay for a premium laptop like a 17”er. Yah is only my opinion but I still think there are a lot of people out there that have to agree with me. A million or a billion pixels. If it can be singled out by the human eye as a flaw it’s a problem. Now if we were talking hard drives where one or 2 sectors couldn’t be written to (Which is usually the first signs of a drive going bad but humor me.) no one would make a fuss over it because you can't “see” those bad sectors.

It is -normal- for an LCD to have 1 or 2 deal pixels... especially if they are on a laptop (laptops get moved and knocked around frequently) It is not normal to have a handful of them.

If deal pixels bug you that much then don't buy LCD devices. Dead pixels are common and just about -every- hardware manufacturer and retailer has a deal pixel policy which says you need anywhere from 3 to 8 dead pixels in order to warrant a replacement.

And as for the harddrives...
It is not normal to have unwritable sectors on a harddrive that is functioning properly. Just because a single pixel crapped out on your PowerBooks display does not mean that your display is on the brink of failure. It simply means you have small dot on your screen that you will eventually not notice.

Now, I'm sure we could all protest pixel imperfection and force manufacturers to replace an LCD for every dead pixel, or simply start using plasma... however I'm fairly sure laptops would skyrocket to over 5000 dollars.

So... just deal with it. It's not the end of the world. Nothing is perfect in life.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Aqua OS X
It simply means you have small dot on your screen that you will eventually not notice.

You can't really say that for everyone, I had a Dell laptop for about 4 years and I noticed it all the time. It was only one pixel aswell, it really frustrated me.

Matt

yanges

macrumors newbie
Re: MacMerc: Apple's LCD Dead Pixel Policy Published

Originally posted by patrick0brien
-All

Published by MacMerc - the unreleased Official Apple Pixel Policy regarding funky pixels.

Good knowledge for the hip pocket when looking at a dead pixel.

Get it quick before Apple Legal catches on...

MacMerc: Apple's Pixel Policy

Note: I posted this not to stir a pot of "Apple's ripping us off" - All LCD's have dead or funky pixels - they just might not be wrong enough to make out. There is no such thing as a perfect LCD. It's just good knowledge to have if you have many funky pixels wether you will be wasting your time trying to get a new display.

the article is gone...taken off per Apple Legal

can someone email it to me...

sure would appreciate it:D

oops! i missed Doctor Q's post....

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Subpixels

Originally posted by razorme
AFAIK, there are no subpixels in LCDs. Each pixel has the three color filters layered on top of each other, and each is controlled by its own transistor.

They are side by side on my Samsung LCD and all others I am aware of. See picture I took. The red/green/blue bars look like gray with the naked eye.

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
Aqua OS X-

To quote Elvis Costello "What can we do? What, can we do, with all this useless beauty? All this useless beauty!"

Shall we then buy laptops with CRT's?

I've got a dark pixel right in the middle of my iBook that showed up 14 days after it arrived. I've had it for 9 months now and it drives me up the wall. I start to forget about it and then I think i've added an ' or a . or a , accidentaly. wtf? It drives me effing nuts.

In response to your hard drive comment. If you run disk first aid and it finds a bad block, it will mark it as unuseable and you will not be affected by it. You will lose data stored on the bad blocks, but you will not have to worry about them again. It will essentially become invisible. When you run apple's monitor diagnostic/calibration program the pixel very clearly shows up (just as it did before you ran the program) as bad, but does not become invisible.

Apple's tolerance for hard drive replacement under warranty is 4, yes count them, 4 bad blocks. 4 entities that can be made to not affect your life in anyway whatsoever by running a utility that comes with the computer.

Correct me if I am wrong, but 4 bad blocks out of a 30gig HD is a lower percentage that 8 out of a 12.1 in. LCD. Yes? And do I need to repeat the invisible vs. visible thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.