Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattwe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Can you add a keyboard shortcut to "Insert Footnote" in pages?

Can you link a footnote with another so that if the first one changes it updates data on the second footnote? This is available in Word and OpenOffice, but I can't find it in Pages.

Recent mac convert so be nice if these things are obvious.

mattwe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
If I understand correctly...
right before the bottom of your page (or at the top too), you'll see a box appear when you mouse over it (see picture attached)... this is the footnote, and will go on every page.

I don't understand your response - which problem was this supposed to solve?

(maybe the pic would have helped, but it didn't make it to the post)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I'm not at my Mac right now, so I can't tell you if Pages dynamically updates footnotes/references, since it's not something I use it for. Hopefully IJ will make it by this thread before long and pitch in some help.

mattwe

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for the tip on making a shortcut, works great.

Anyone know about linking footnotes? It may be a deal-breaker on using Pages for word processing.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm not at my Mac right now, so I can't tell you if Pages dynamically updates footnotes/references, since it's not something I use it for. Hopefully IJ will make it by this thread before long and pitch in some help.

So I'm developing a reputation as a Pages jock? ;)

Sorry, but I never use footnotes. Ah well, there goes my 15 minutes of fame.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
So I'm developing a reputation as a Pages jock? ;)

Sorry, but I never use footnotes. Ah well, there goes my 15 minutes of fame.

Maybe not a jock, but certainly a fellow advocate...

Now that I'm back at my Mac, I've tried to see if footnotes are dynamical. If I create a list of notes, the numbering of the notes stays updated. As to referencing other footnotes within a given note, I'm not sure how to do that, or if that's even what you're asking for. If you need that sort of thing, you might try experimenting with 'bookmarks' in the Inspector.

metaomni

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2004
I was trying to figure out the same thing with regard to the spacing of the footnotes... turns out that in the Inspector there's an option "Space Between Notes", change it to 0pt and you're all set.

bo-viktor

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
Linking footnotes?

Mattwe, did you ever find out how to link footnotes? I want to link footnotes so that they automatically refer back even if you put additional footnotes in between. Have not found a way to do it in Pages. Tks, bo-viktor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.