Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Is it recommended to put an auto trans to neutral at the long traffic light stop? Typically, I put step on the break pedal at the stop while the gear is in D. But, I am wondering if it is better to put it into neutral (to reduce the stress on the transmission).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
it not going to put any extra stress on the tranny leaving it in gear. Any extra stress is so minor it not going to matter. The torque converter does not have an issue with it and that would be the only location adding any stress to it. All a torque converter is a pump. It pumps fluid from one side to the other which spins the gears so it not an real issue if does not move. When a auto tranny fails it normally not at the torque converter. it with one of the other many moving parts in it.

Now on a manual the reason at a long stop like you put it in neutral is because keeping the clutch disengage can pivot bearing to take a lot of extra stress.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You're probably putting more stress on it by going in and out of gear than just leaving it in gear.

When I get lazy, I'll yank the parking brake and take my foot off the break, but I'll still leave it in D.

Funny, I'm too lazy to keep my foot on the brake, and in less than 2 weeks, I'm trading in for a car with a 6 speed manual (my first manual). At least I can still use the parking brake at stoplights :D

Oh, and on an auto, going to neutral once stopped might not be too bad (probably more stress and wear, but I doubt enough to significantly reduce the life of the tranny), but NEVER, EVER go into neutral while slowing down to a stop, for 2 reasons:
1. You lose the added benefit of engine braking if the car's not in gear
2. If you have to quickly avoid something by accelerating and moving out of the way, you'll hit the gas and won't go anywhere
3. If the light turns green before you come to a complete stop, you'd have to go back into drive while moving. And you should only go into drive when stopped, really, really bad things may happen to your transmission if you shift to drive while moving.

Manuals are different, as you can go from neutral to gear while moving (just make sure to select the right gear for your speed). Hell, you're basically going from neutral to gear every time you shift since the clutch in is basically the same as neutral. But when stopping in a manual, from what I understand, brake while in gear, and just before the engine gets to stall speed, clutch in and shift to neutral. This is the same as reason 2 above, you want to be in gear for as long as possible for emergency maneuvers.

In short, an automatic transmission is meant to be, well, automatic. Put it in D and leave it there until you need to park (or back up). If you want to play with your shifter more than twice each trip, buy a manual :p

Reactions: Plutonius

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
When I had an auto I did when I remembered. Not to reduce stress on the drivetrain but as a politeness to the person stopped behind me who probably did not want to sit staring at the bright brake lights...

Reactions: rbrian

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
OTOH, I happen to be quite fond of the Japanese custom of dimming one's headlights at a traffic light at night. So considerate!
I thought that was to save the headlight bulbs (however, turning off and on lights in a short span at the traffic light is not good for its longevity). With your post, now I know that practice was for that reason.

JNB

macrumors 604
I thought that was to save the headlight bulbs (however, turning off and on lights in a short span at the traffic light is not good for its longevity). With your post, now I know that practice was for that reason.

Some of the higher-end sedans have that feature automatically. Very cool! When I got back from Japan (after 13 months) I was in the habit of doing that. The cops back here also thought it was a nice gesture, but not a good idea, and would I please stop doing that unless I really wanted a citation.

Between that and walking into any restroom without regard for separate gender, it only took a few weeks (and not a small amount of embarrassment) to reacclimatize to the Western ways...

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Some of the higher-end sedans have that feature automatically. Very cool! When I got back from Japan (after 13 months) I was in the habit of doing that. The cops back here also thought it was a nice gesture, but not a good idea, and would I please stop doing that unless I really wanted a citation.

If I turned off the headlights at the stop in USA, I know the copy would issue me a ticket for no head light at night. Old habits die hard; I keep my lights up at the light in Japan (I've been in the states for years).

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
You can put it in N, but I think over time it would just add unnecessary wear to the equipment.

I know that if you are towing you should put in N at stoplights to take load of the transmission. I don't know how that works but thats what the manual of my car said. That was a strange manual though- written very Britishly and with a strange vocabulary.

On many cars if you put on the e-brake it turns off the headlights.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My car has an auto brake hold, so it's obviously not meant to be put on neutral at lights or else that feature wouldn't exist.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I leave mine in drive like most people do. I will stick it in park if I'm stuck in traffic and the prospect of moving is remote.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
If you're really concerned and not sure, just put the gear in P rather than N. That's what I do sometimes.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Tried it yesterday, but when the light turned green, I forgot that I needed to put it back it drive. Nobody honked, so I guess the delay was minimal. :)

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I put mine in park at certain traffic lights I know take 2-3 minutes to turn, mostly because I don't want to sit there and compress the brake for that long.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I put mine in park at certain traffic lights I know take 2-3 minutes to turn, mostly because I don't want to sit there and compress the brake for that long.

I buy new cars and keep them for 10 years or more. Being a two-car household now, we've had 9 vehicles. I've never had brake problems or been told that mine needed replacement way sooner than they should have. And I always kept my brake engaged while stopped in traffic.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I buy new cars and keep them for 10 years or more. Being a two-car household now, we've had 9 vehicles. I've never had brake problems or been told that mine needed replacement way sooner than they should have. And I always kept my brake engaged while stopped in traffic.
I hear ya. I never really thought that it killed my brakes - I would just rather not sit with my foot compressed on the pedal for 2-3 minutes if I don't need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.