Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtomac2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
London
A very odd thing has happened to my iPhone, having been working perfectly earlier it has suddenly stopped working; I can not hear anyone and visa versa when I make or receive calls. Strangely it works perfectly in speakerphone mode and everything else still works. Does anyone have any idea on this one, I've reset it to no effect.
A really annoyed iPhone owner!

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
A very odd thing has happened to my iPhone, having been working perfectly earlier it has suddenly stopped working; I can not hear anyone and visa versa when I make or receive calls. Strangely it works perfectly in speakerphone mode and everything else still works. Does anyone have any idea on this one, I've reset it to no effect.
A really annoyed iPhone owner!

What firmware are you running? this happened to me a few times, what service provider was the person you were calling on? Does this happen with everyone you call? or just certain people?

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
Have you used your apple iphone headphones recently? Plug them in and spin the plug around, pull it out and maybe even blow some compressed air in the headphone port. I had this problem last week and thats how I fixed it. Only happened since 1.1.2, but this sounds like more of a hardware issue to me. Good luck.

stevelaw

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
This happened to me when I pulled my earphone plug out before stopping a song playing on the iPod. Replug your headset, start a song on the iPod, stop the song, pull the headset plug, and power down your iPhone. This fixed my problem.

newtomac2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
London
awesome guys thanks so much. It was happening on all calls and I'm running the latest firmware. Tried the plug earphones in start song, stop song, remove earphones and restart trick and it worked! Was going to call insurance who would not have known this and would have taken weeks to send a new phone out so really happy.

Cheeers

mom333

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2011
I have an appointment at the Apple Store on Monday. I'm hoping to get a new phone. I have had this problem all along. My phone seems to take issue with going between headphones, speaker calls, regular calls. It doesn't switch between them, so often when I try to call someone, it doesn't work unless I hit speaker on and then speaker off. Ridiculous.

I have a friend who works at Apple and he isnt' sure they'll replace my phone since it doesn't happen "ALL" of the time. I don't think it should matter. I just spent $300 on a phone that doesn't work "ALL" the time and for that price, it should! I bought my husband a 4S the same day and his works fine.

Crossing my fingers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.