Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theworstkids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
I am trying to transfer some videos from one external HD to another external HD through my MacBook Pro. I copy the whole folder but only half get transfered, the other comes up with an Error Code 0. Can anyone help? Thanks.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
how big are the files? Error code 0 is an "unidentified error". For example, you get error code 0 when you transfer files bigger than 4gb to a fat32 HD.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I have had that happen to me when I was trying to copy a file (no matter what size) to my Server (Mac OS X Server 10.5.1).

Only after I rebooted the server did the error go away...

Have you restarted your Mac?

MajinHS

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
meeh

i got the same problem, but i`ve made a transfer to my external hd of a 70gb folder, after this it doesnt allow me to do no big transfers...
plz help, hehe ty

[]

Tinieblas

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
I've got the same problem, except it's only with certain file types. Ex: I've got a 38 GB .iMovieProject file that I can transfer to my external hard drive with no problems, but if I try to move a .dmg file that's larger than 4 GB it won't let me. (I'm using a Western Digital 500 GB external hard drive formatted as Fat32) I only get the error for .dmg files. I can transfer any other folders or file types... Don't know what's up with it...

asweets

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
I've got the same problem, except it's only with certain file types. Ex: I've got a 38 GB .iMovieProject file that I can transfer to my external hard drive with no problems, but if I try to move a .dmg file that's larger than 4 GB it won't let me. (I'm using a Western Digital 500 GB external hard drive formatted as Fat32) I only get the error for .dmg files. I can transfer any other folders or file types... Don't know what's up with it...

If ANY drive is formatted as FAT32, you cannot put files larger than 4 GB on the drive. Perhaps with your iMovie project the extension is just the container extension, what looks like a single file to you is really like an archive in that it's made up of many smaller files (chapters, clips, etc).

Weebler

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I have a .mov file that I need to transfer to a windows machine. How can I get around this? I can have it formats in NTFS or FAT32 and I cant transfer anything while in OS X. If I have it MAC OS formated it wont appear in Windows... and I am new to Mac... :eek:

dave3c

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
WD external harddisk error 0

I am on mac book pro. I have a lacie drive with video edit files as well as quicktime movie files. I need to back up te files and give them to my client. I went out and bought a western digital passport essential drive to back the files up to but i keep getting the error message when attempting to transfer the file. I can go buy another hard drive as I have already used all my project budget, and the 4 Gig limit (which for a 320 gig HD is ridiculous) is the issue. Is there any work around for this. My format options when doing 1 partition are as follows...

1. Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
2. Mac OS Extended
3. Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled)
4. Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)
5. Free Space

When I select the free space option it tells me it cant unmount the disk. Please help deadline fast approaching

janmillan

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
if i do a disk partition will it erase everything else i have on my external hd? i want to have 3 partitions

nzreprezent

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
Similar Boat

I can relate to this macpro -> xp... in the past no problems, then all of a sudden, bam! All the drives I use display error 0.

This may possibly be the first time I have transferred a single 4gb+ file though (this time in the form of an iso)

Really frustrating because I left my ipod at work, and dvds are just slightly too small.

Any ideas if Ethernet to Ethernet would accept it?

edharding

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Split and Concat

I got around the 4gb size limit with some of my movie files by using Split and Concat, to split the file down and then piece it back together. Worked a treat.

AverageTy

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Error Code (0)

All I did was go into Disk Utility with the flash drive/ex. hard drive plugged it, erase the device, rename it, but instead of formatting it as "FAT" do the first option (I think it's MAC OSX (Journaled)? Works fine for me!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I got Transformers for iTunes and got the HD version. With getting the HD version, you also get the SD one too. Combined it's over 5GB, is there a way to separate the HD and SD versions so I can transfer them to an external hard drive for back up?

EDIT: I decided to re-format the back up drive as stated above and works nicely. I thought this would be more of a pain and it's not at all.

Last edited:

johnny b goode

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
@averageTy: "All I did was go into Disk Utility with the flash drive/ex. hard drive plugged it, erase the device, rename it, but instead of formatting it as "FAT" do the first option (I think it's MAC OSX (Journaled)? Works fine for me!"

thnx, worked perfectly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.