Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzysanime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Hi,

I have an old mac keyboard (the old big white one from my mac 5400). I have a large monitor hooked up to my powerbook and its keyboard is hard to use since i have to have the screen down, so i dont like any new keyboards and i still love the old one. Is there an adapter for it to a usb port?

Thanks,
Josh

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Sounds like you need a PS/2-to-USB adapter. Most stores that sell computer parts should have them for $5-10. Make sure you get the female PS/2-to-male USB one.

izzysanime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2007
hmmm, i think ps/2 is a pc thing, not mac, right? I just checked, the ps/2 adapter that came with a pc keyboard had 2 more pins than the mac. Is that ok though?

Thanks,
Josh

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Oh, you're right...I wasn't thinking. :eek:

Older Macs used ADB. Adapters are somewhat rare these days, but they are around. Here is a dual one for $30, but it's shipping in 2+ weeks. RadioShack sells the iMate for $40.

Might want to think about a new keyboard as a cheaper/same cost option unless you're really attached to that keyboard. :D

izzysanime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I have looked at many different keyboards. As much as I'm a fan of mac stuff, I hate that the keyboards are so small, i like them being thin, but i need more keys. I would like one that maybe has a big return key (like the on the older apple IIGS keyboards ^_^) and the power button. I will get a new keyboard i guess at those prices.

Thanks,
Josh

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Ressurrecting the topic, I'd like to use an old Mac LC II keyboard (ADB interface) with my USB-only Macbook.

I bought a PS/2-to-USB adapter and I've broken the plastic piece that prevented ADB connector from fitting to PS/2 slot. I found that ADB is not so compatible to PS/2 despite the similar connections so I would like to know if anyone tried a DIY solution or something I could buy on Ebay.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.