Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bam1234567

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2007
Hi I have an eMac 1Ghz with 10.3.9 on it and I just bought a new Lexmark Wi-Fi Printer. I have no Extreme card, just a Netgear Wired/Wireless router thats obviously connected to my eMac via CAT5 cable. I set up the printer for wireless, hoping my eMac would use the router as a card-substitute type deal. Well it doesn't. It just says hey! can't connect as if it were not there.
Any suggestions?
~Thanx
Paul

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I've never had a Wi-Fi printer and I'm not sure how they work. Depending on that there may be a solution to your printing problem.

The first thing you should do is determine wether or not your printer is Mac compatible, and then if it is supported under OS X 10.3. If it is, there should be a section in the manual about the kind of setup. If the printer pulls an IP address from the router, and your router is set to create a LAN between all connected devices (wired/wireless) you should be able to connect to your printer using its IP.

What model printer do you have?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I have an HP wireless printer that works well with my iMac. It really has nothing to do with being Mac compatible it's all about your Mac having a wireless card installed. Connecting a router to the eMac doesn't make it talk to the printer via Wifi you must have an airport card installed in the Mac.
The bad part is a friend of mine has a Canon Wifi printer and neither his nor my HP come with instructions on how to set up the Wifi. Thankfully the manufacturers for both have great phone customer service and they helped set them up.
But yeah, you will need an airport card.

SawTooth500

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Florence, Arizona
My HP 2510 came with setup disks in both Windows and Mac format.
You have to do all the settings in wired mode (cat 5 cable to router from printer, or to Mac from printer) and follow the screens. Should set it to wireless for you. Mine did.:rolleyes:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I have a Canon MP600R wifi printer/scanner/copier.

Basically if your e-mac is connected to the netgear via CAT5, just make sure the printer is connected to the netgear via wifi and install the Mac software supplied, it should work all okay.

Avoid the airport's usb printer sharing it's not as good.

buster123

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
buster123

...and now I'm really frustrated. My Macbook and my HP printer were quite happy talking to each other via wireless until I decided to switch servers from BT to Virgin. Out went the telephone WiFi connection; in came the super high-way fibre optic cable. Now I have high quality TV and phone but a deafening silence between computer and printer. Everything is still in place and the connections are as they were - i.e. wireless cable between printer and modem. The printer works; the Mac works. There are more lights flashing than on than my christmas tree but I'm stuck and can't think where its going wrong. I've tried closing down both units and booting them up again. Still silence. Anyone out there with a simple answer?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
...and now I'm really frustrated. My Macbook and my HP printer were quite happy talking to each other via wireless until I decided to switch servers from BT to Virgin. Out went the telephone WiFi connection; in came the super high-way fibre optic cable. Now I have high quality TV and phone but a deafening silence between computer and printer. Everything is still in place and the connections are as they were - i.e. wireless cable between printer and modem. The printer works; the Mac works. There are more lights flashing than on than my christmas tree but I'm stuck and can't think where its going wrong. I've tried closing down both units and booting them up again. Still silence. Anyone out there with a simple answer?

If you gave your HP printer a static IP address, your IP scheme might have changed if your ISP gave you a different router. Try resetting the HP printer back to factory defaults and go through the setup again, telling it to automatically get an IP address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.