Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
ProPremote Pro Tools Controller App for iPhone

Gizmodo shows off a video of a 3rd party application for the iPhone that allows you to wirelessly control Pro Tools LE with realtime feedback.
"ProRemote will be going into beta next week," Alex told us, "currently the server is Mac only but will be an easy port to Windows later on (one thing at a time!) It is nearly feature complete now and runs on jailbroken iPhones and iPod touches."
"By the time I have gotten up and walked over to my console 10 times to adjust the levels, I no longer want to play music. This software allows me to control my rig from the drums or my guitar setup and hopefully keep the music flowing."
While a Beta will be released next week, the developer is looking to create an official version once Apple's SDK is released. The proprosed final price for the application is $150.

Article Link

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Wow, what an awesome idea! This is so great... very impressive. I could totally see how handy this would be, so you don't have to keep running back to the computer every time. I could also see this as a great way for musicians to adjust their monitor levels themselves during soundchecks, instead of having to wave to the sound guy.

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
as a protools user and musician i can see the real potential in this software. It's so simple yet does wonders, Especially recording by yourself, Amazing Amazing

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
makes you wonder though. How long apple will hold out on those SDKs as they are treating third party iphone apps like Sony treats 3rd party PSP apps.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I enjoy working very late into the night after everyone else is gone, so this would be phenomenal to be able to re-cut or overdub anything anywhere in the studio and not worry about having an engineer available at the time or setting up alternate control stations (short of running back and forth from the control room to any of the live/iso rooms)

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
frontier makes a wireless crontroller for around that price. It has real buttons and works with more than just protools le.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
frontier makes a wireless crontroller for around that price. It has real buttons and works with more than just protools le.

Right - but having rich visual feedback in a location without direct line of sight to a monitor is a whole different ballgame

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's an excellent app! Too bad it's for an overcomplicated garbage application. Yay, yay, I don't care how many people use it. I still know a lot of engineers who use it and hate it.

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
uhh...can we get it for Logic?

Makes a lot more sense to work in house first, before you develop other platforms. BTW, the tranzport does give visual feedback, and does not require line of sight to work. Anyways though, cool idea for an iphone app!

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Aggghh! My iPod touch won't do this...

Makes a lot more sense to work in house first, before you develop other platforms. BTW, the tranzport does give visual feedback, and does not require line of sight to work. Anyways though, cool idea for an iphone app!

But if this works for logic, then I'll be jumping on board, too!

Apple..? Are you listening???

Pretty please????

Americanloti

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Very impressive, but unfortunately it's not going to last. Rumor has it that with Pro Tools 8 there is not gonna be any Mackie HUI support (which is the Midi protocol used by this app) thus making this app and a lot of third party controllers not compatible. Bad Digidesign!

kaeckisthename

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
We need this for Logic Studio

//on a side note I had a dream last night that I had a "mini" UltraBeat/Drum Machine on my iPhone:cool:.....we need something like this so I could throw down some drum loops while on the go......I would pay top dollar for something like that:p

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Very impressive, but unfortunately it's not going to last. Rumor has it that with Pro Tools 8 there is not gonna be any Mackie HUI support (which is the Midi protocol used by this app) thus making this app and a lot of third party controllers not compatible. Bad Digidesign!

I'll believe that when I see it... Do you know how many large format consoles use hui.....

studiomusic

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2004
Round the world

I've got a Tranzport... works great, but to use my iphone -SWEET!
I wonder if this will work with my HD Accel setup... It should if it's doing HUI emulation I suppose.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I've got a Tranzport... works great, but to use my iphone -SWEET!
I wonder if this will work with my HD Accel setup... It should if it's doing HUI emulation I suppose.

from my understanding of it, it would, except there has to be some software on the computers side to connect to the iphone through the internet... and that software in some way might be limiting ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.