Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hecxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
For some reason I'm unable to open attachments from my email (yahoo, if it makes any difference)... HELP GUYS!!:confused::confused:

hecxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
That sucks!

:mad:Wow man, that really sucks!! I can't beleive apple hasn't gotten the rights or whatever the hell it needs in order to view file attachments on yahoo mail.

Thanks for your answer anyways man, you've been really helpful!:D

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Safari actually displays webpages more correctly than most all web browsers. So it is just as equally Yahoo's fault as it is Apple's.

hecxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Yippi, I couldn't care less that yahoo is just as irresponsible as apple dude. What matters is us, the consumer. We pay for our macs, it's not too much to ask that Safari can open attachments in any email server. Internet Explorer can do it, so why can't Safari do it as well?!?! Now I have to download Firefox (big frikin deal, I know!). I don't wanna hurt your feelings (or any other mac lover's), but being a new mac owner I find it absurd that I need another browser to see my email. This pushes me to keep Firefox as my default browser. Safari is obsolete.:mad:

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Yippi, I couldn't care less that yahoo is just as irresponsible as apple dude. What matters is us, the consumer. We pay for our macs, it's not too much to ask that Safari can open attachments in any email server. Internet Explorer can do it, so why can't Safari do it as well?!?! Now I have to download Firefox (big frikin deal, I know!). I don't wanna hurt your feelings (or any other mac lover's), but being a new mac owner I find it absurd that I need another browser to see my email. This pushes me to keep Firefox as my default browser. Safari is obsolete.:mad:

It is nice to see people passionate about this, but this is NOT apple's fault at all. Safari 3 is 100% standards compliant, however FF2 is not, (FF3 I think is, but it is still in beta). The responsibility falls on the developer of the website who cant make their web site compliant with standards (yahoo)!

So saying safari is obsolete is inaccurate, since it supports standards more than any other stable browsers (other than opera). Apple has done all that they can to offer a good development environment for web developers. As a web developer I have to say safari is VERY easy to develop for.

it has nothing to do with "rights" it has to do with yahoo writing decent code.

Look at it this way, when I make a website, I dont tell Apple to make safari work on my site, I make my site work on safari (which most of the time isn't hard at all, compared to IE and FF, as safari is very forgiving!), and then I make it work with FF and IE!

send your complaints to yahoo, as it is 100% their responsibility.

hecxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
It is nice to see people passionate about this, but this is NOT apple's fault at all. Safari 3 is 100% standards compliant, however FF2 is not, (FF3 I think is, but it is still in beta). The responsibility falls on the developer of the website who cant make their web site compliant with standards (yahoo)!

So saying safari is obsolete is inaccurate, since it supports standards more than any other stable browsers (other than opera). Apple has done all that they can to offer a good development environment for web developers. As a web developer I have to say safari is VERY easy to develop for.

it has nothing to do with "rights" it has to do with yahoo writing decent code.

Look at it this way, when I make a website, I dont tell Apple to make safari work on my site, I make my site work on safari (which most of the time isn't hard at all, compared to IE and FF, as safari is very forgiving!), and then I make it work with FF and IE!

send your complaints to yahoo, as it is 100% their responsibility.

Well that shows how little I know about safari!!:D
Not gonna argue here dude, you're right. However, I have a question:

1. What is "100% standard compliant"??

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
So to shorten the explanation a great deal,
the little happy face thing is made using many many lines of code, that validates the W3C standard.

So a standards compliant browser should be able to render it the way the "reference rendering" image shows,

reference.png

Safari 3 shows ,
picture1fi6.png

FF2 shows,
picture2bm2.png

Since FF cannot render it correctly it means it doesn't conform to standards,
however I have heard that FF3 passes the ACID2 test, but im too lazy to go download it and see for myself! lol :D

hope that helps a little

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.