Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PuterSaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Gulf Coast
I accidentally tore the ribbon cable going to the sleep light on the front of my MBP while changing out the hard drive. The ribbon runs across the hard drive and is very fragile.

Where can I purchase this cable in order to replace it?

powderturns

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
torn cable attachment

Hi - I just replaced my hard drive and tore the ribbon cable attachment piece, right where it attaches to the logic board. I used the ifixit guide to perform my HDD replacement, but have since learned it is unnecessary to remove this piece during the process. Anyone else experience that? Think it is repairable? I looked and some of the pins are attached to the cable, and some are still stuck on the logic board. I am bummed.

PuterSaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Gulf Coast
Hi - I just replaced my hard drive and tore the ribbon cable attachment piece, right where it attaches to the logic board. I used the ifixit guide to perform my HDD replacement, but have since learned it is unnecessary to remove this piece during the process. Anyone else experience that? Think it is repairable? I looked and some of the pins are attached to the cable, and some are still stuck on the logic board. I am bummed.

Did the same thing but had to purchase a new ribbon from iFixit.com.

39.95 + shipping

Cable

powderturns

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
but ifixit's directions were wrong!!

I am going to have to buy the ribbon cable, but not from ifixit. no one else's directions said to remove the cable from the main board. it was totally unncessary to do so, so I guess I'm a little annoyed with them for that. if I followed anyone else's directions, I wouldn't have removed the attachment - note: no one else said to remove the cable.
thanks for the information regardless.

tuppa

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
I am going to have to buy the ribbon cable, but not from ifixit. no one else's directions said to remove the cable from the main board. it was totally unncessary to do so, so I guess I'm a little annoyed with them for that. if I followed anyone else's directions, I wouldn't have removed the attachment - note: no one else said to remove the cable.
thanks for the information regardless.

Hey powderturns, can you let us know where you bought the ribbon cable from?

morrowless

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
same problem

Just ran into the same problem on Saturday. I guess I have to hand it to ifixit for finding a way to sell ribbon cables for $40 a crack.

Didn't need to remove this connection or the connection to the keyboard....both woud have been better off remaining attached.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.