Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diego2k7

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2005
So here's a question, what happens to the old internal LCDs after this procedure? I ask because I would like to be able to turn my old internal LCD into an external display by adding an inverter and a DVI interface somehow...

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
So here's a question, what happens to the old internal LCDs after this procedure? I ask because I would like to be able to turn my old internal LCD into an external display by adding an inverter and a DVI interface somehow...

The general consensus regarding that procedure is that it is way to hard to actually be able to accomplish. In fact, it might even be considered impossible.

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
There's an update for the Macbook Pro on Apple's site now (1.1, released Dec 18th) and I installed and held my breath for possible problems with the screen, but everything installed smoothly, so thought I'd share the good news...

mediapirate

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I agree, patched both MBP's and no problem. BTW I will be putting the 1680x1050 up for sale in a couple of days if anyone is interested. I have to throw some pictures together.

There's an update for the Macbook Pro on Apple's site now (1.1, released Dec 18th) and I installed and held my breath for possible problems with the screen, but everything installed smoothly, so thought I'd share the good news...

melmo

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Mine is sitting in a box on my shelf...

It is possible to convert these into monitors, but the the required parts are pretty expensive, so you'd be better off just buying a monitor. If you really are interested, check out some of the diy lcd projector discussion forums. If I remember correctly, a company called Kontron sells HDMI controller boards that can drive these panels, but you're looking at $250 just for the board, no power supply, etc.

mediapirate

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Latest security update

I just finished testing the latest security update on both my MBP's without any problem. Just a FYI ...

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
It is possible to convert these into monitors, but the the required parts are pretty expensive, so you'd be better off just buying a monitor.

Bear in mind that LCD monitors are of lower quality on laptop screens compared with what you get with desktop LCDs.

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
I just finished testing the latest security update on both my MBP's without any problem. Just a FYI ...

I have mine on an external monitor as well now (dual setup while at home on the desk). It went into sleep the other night, and when I woke the machine the LCD refused to come on. Just the external and it was a low resolution and refresh. Bummer! Restarting didn't help, with or without external. I had to disassemble the MBP once again (though I'm getting pretty quick at this) and remove the internal LCD connector, boot on the external, put into sleep mode, plug in the external, and wake the machine to bring the internal LCD back on line.

Things are not yet perfect.

Anyone out there using an external in conjunction with the internal and getting this? It might have something to do with the fact that my external is analog, not digital, I don't know.

mediapirate

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Analog? You do plan on upgrading that before 2009 right? ;-) I haven't been able to replicate these problems but then again I don't have any non digital LCD's.

MP

I have mine on an external monitor as well now (dual setup while at home on the desk). It went into sleep the other night, and when I woke the machine the LCD refused to come on. Just the external and it was a low resolution and refresh. Bummer! Restarting didn't help, with or without external. I had to disassemble the MBP once again (though I'm getting pretty quick at this) and remove the internal LCD connector, boot on the external, put into sleep mode, plug in the external, and wake the machine to bring the internal LCD back on line.

Things are not yet perfect.

Anyone out there using an external in conjunction with the internal and getting this? It might have something to do with the fact that my external is analog, not digital, I don't know.

noetus

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
Analog? You do plan on upgrading that before 2009 right? ;-) I haven't been able to replicate these problems but then again I don't have any non digital LCD's.

MP

Ha ha.. well, actually I'm not sure I consider *any* currently available LCD monitor an 'upgrade' to the Sony Trinitron 24" GDM-FW900 WUXGA flatscreen CRT. I've considered the Apple displays and checked them out in an Apple store, but decided I prefer these old CRTs (I have two of them) despite their being huge heavy beasts. The only problem with using them with a machine running Mac OS X is that they look better (sharper) without antialiasing.

I also get an issue if I boot off an OS X disc. The colors go bad again, with lots of flicker, until I reboot into leopard, set to 60hz, reboot, set to 50hz, and reboot again. I think there might be something odd with my particular machine, but I don't know what (or why).

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Ha ha.. well, actually I'm not sure I consider *any* currently available LCD monitor an 'upgrade' to the Sony Trinitron 24" GDM-FW900 WUXGA flatscreen CRT. I've considered the Apple displays and checked them out in an Apple store, but decided I prefer these old CRTs (I have two of them) despite their being huge heavy beasts.
Two:eek:

Give me a shout if you ever want to sell one.:eek:

nycbjr

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
current status

what is the current status of this?

I'm debating between spending a butt load of money on a 17" HiRes.. and instead I think this might be the ticket for my Core Duo MBP. I have allot of hardware hacking exp.. I found the Samsung -04 panel at ztronics for 199, but I saw one post that the guy had to wait 2 months for delivery... so I sent them a msg to confirm availability.. otherwise I found it on ebay for $250..

With leopard most are having success? do u need the atiinject kext? A quick round up would be awesome as this thread is very very long lol

anyone with success. .can you post your config, panel and quck steps you went through?

oh and happy new year!! :D

bryanus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
I'm using Leopard with the -L04 panel from Z-Tronics. Took a couple weeks to arrive. Before Leopard, it was a mess of patches, injects, etc.

With Leopard, no patches or anything. Everything "just works" in Leopard for me. Others with the same panel need to install the inject file for some reason.

nycbjr

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
impatient..

as usual I'm impatient.. lol so I bought one off ebay.. actually got the 07 model as its glossy.. should be the same deal I suspect.. I always wished I bought a glossy.. hehe

so wish me luck!

also anyone else who wants to post their success go for it :)

gav1v

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
can the screen on a 17" be replaced with a 3rd party screen?

hello there

the bottom half of my 17" MBP screen has stopped working, it just flickers a copy of whats happening on the top half.
Does anyone know if there is there an LCD panel I can install without paying nearly £400 to Apple? Or if there's a replacement cable available from any 3rd party companies (the mac genius said he thought it was just the wire but could only order me the panel with the wire attached).
Just coming to the end of uni and deffo can't afford what they're asking for, especially with fitting!
I'd be willing to try to upgrade my screen to HD if thats the only way to go about it.

nycbjr

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
HD goodness :)

so spent about 4 hours last night getting this done.. works wonderfully aside from one small issue.. the screen seems slightly blue.. ideas??

I used a glossy version of the samsung -04 the -07.. is it the glossy maybe? its not that bad but if anyone has any ideas taht would be great..

here is my config and what I did..

MBP 2ghz (Core duo)
2gb Ram
Samsung LTN154U2-L07 panel
Leopard 10.5.1

had to use the ATIInject.kext and change owner and permissions (also did a nvram re-set)

I looked at the color sync stuff and it really didn't make a difference

*edit looks like if I did expert settings in color sync I was able to make it a bit less blue.. looks great now.. loving this!

nycbjr

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
hello there

the bottom half of my 17" MBP screen has stopped working, it just flickers a copy of whats happening on the top half.
Does anyone know if there is there an LCD panel I can install without paying nearly £400 to Apple? Or if there's a replacement cable available from any 3rd party companies (the mac genius said he thought it was just the wire but could only order me the panel with the wire attached).
Just coming to the end of uni and deffo can't afford what they're asking for, especially with fitting!
I'd be willing to try to upgrade my screen to HD if thats the only way to go about it.

it should pretty much work the same, and I've seen the 1920x1200 screens for the MPB 17" (says compatible).. do a ebay search.. I want to say I saw one for around $350 US...

zhixingzhao

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Advise needed

I am new to this forum but I am inspired by all of you guys!
I am planning to put a WUXGA or a WSXGA+ panel to my first generation MBP Core Due 1.83GHz. I learned a lot from this thread but I would like you guys to clarify a couple of points:

1. What LCD panel I should use? Looks like SAMSUNG LTN154U2-L04 WUXGA is a top select.

Do I need new cable and inverter of the new panel or the original cable and inverter in the MBP will work?

How about WSXGA+ panels: ???

2. I have an first generation Core Due MBP - How this will be different from the newer C2D model?

3. A couple of people claim with leopard no "patch/override" file is needed any more, is that true? The brightness control, keyboard light, auto brightness all working?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
2. I have an first generation Core Due MBP - How this will be different from the newer C2D model?
Any comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Works just as well on the Core Duo MBP. I was one of the first to do the mod, and mine was on a Core Duo. Just so happened that a lot of people that followed were on Core 2 Duo ones :]

zhixingzhao

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
WSXGA+ 1680x1050

Guys,

Do you think the LTN154P2-L05 which is a SAMSUnG 15'' (1680x1050) panel will work for this mod? Will it work with the original inverter in the MBP?

nycbjr

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
I just did a 2ghz Core Duo with leopard and I had to do the ATIinject and clear the pram a few times, otherwise it worked great out of the box, brightness etc. and no you don't need a new cable, they are all compatible..

I used a LTN154U2-L07 as I wanted a glossy display instead of matte.. but otherwise its the same screen.

Its awesome.. I highly recommend you go with the 1900 instead of the 1680

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.