Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Hey,

Recently, I ran across an advertisement that came in with the mail and I found something that Is the exact same thing as the iPod nano ( even the pose on the picture is identical ) but doesnt break any patents. They are really going nuts trying to copy this iPod Nano 2G ( and others probably )

I think its ridiculous. Look at the two pictures and compare.. This is no chinese rip-off , its sold in the Netherlands and people are buying them because they want an iPod ( or the cool design ) without spending so much money. ( im not making that up , I know people who have them. )

http://michelvanderveen.com/fakeipod/fake.jpg
http://michelvanderveen.com/fakeipod/nano.jpg

EDIT: Im so sorry for the huge picute, but i never got around making a picture smaller since I usually dont work with pictures so I dont know how to. Apologies - sorry for the annoyance.

Aug 6, 2007
Your pictures make me cry. tags please!

Also; there are many iPod 'ripoffs' floating around...

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Your pictures make me cry. tags please!

Also; there are many iPod 'ripoffs' floating around...[/QUOTE]

I know , but any that do the exact same pose and are no chinese rip-offs like EXACTLY the same? This is clearly based on the nano but they didnt break any patents.

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Yeh, I agree. There are tons of them floating around. I bought my iPod on eBay and was very careful what I bought as there was tons of them on there when I bought and they all had iPod in the title.

P.S. Maybe you could remove your pic in your post and just put the link to the picture instead and put a 56K warning. Especially since a lot of people are still on 56K and would take forever to load for them.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
EDIT: Im so sorry for the huge picute, but i never got around making a picture smaller since I usually dont work with pictures so I dont know how to. Apologies - sorry for the annoyance.

I changed the image tags to links. Contrary to myth, there are still people using dial-up.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I changed the image tags to links. Contrary to myth, there are still people using dial-up.

Thanks, I appreciate your work on this forum. :) Once again , apologies for the large picture ;)

Yep , I hate those rip-offs , too. But this is a good sign , they know that the iPod is GREAT , so they copy that. Clickwheel , UI , all patented so thats the only thing they dont have. Also , the hold switch is exactly the same but the quality is very bad. Ive tested one out , and I would be able to use it for one time on a trip or whereever I dont wanna take my iPod.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks, I appreciate your work on this forum. :) Once again , apologies for the large picture ;)

Yep , I hate those rip-offs , too. But this is a good sign , they know that the iPod is GREAT , so they copy that. Clickwheel , UI , all patented so thats the only thing they dont have. Also , the hold switch is exactly the same but the quality is very bad. Ive tested one out , and I would be able to use it for one time on a trip or whereever I dont wanna take my iPod.

None of the fakes have clickwheel. It looks like they have a clickwheel, but they don't. Yup the quality is bad, and probably will die. When I visited China I got a cheap $10 watch because it had a cool design (doesn't look like rolex or any famous watches), looks good, but turned out what looks like shiny metal is actually plastic and broke in a month, and the watch hands fell off.

Knockoffs are a waste of money...

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
GSMiller said:
That's somewhat similar to the iPod, but I think the Super Shuffle from Luxpro takes the cake in the knock-off iPod category.

This thing made me lol back in teh day- the fact that it was more feature packed than the standard one!

But the best apple knock off has to be the Meizu Mini1 iPhone imitation. It's been delayed for longer than the iPhone!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Be very concerned when people DON'T try to copy Apple.

-Allen

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
None of the fakes have clickwheel. It looks like they have a clickwheel, but they don't. Yup the quality is bad, and probably will die. When I visited China I got a cheap $10 watch because it had a cool design (doesn't look like rolex or any famous watches), looks good, but turned out what looks like shiny metal is actually plastic and broke in a month, and the watch hands fell off.

Knockoffs are a waste of money...

I said , none of the fakes have a clickwheel because it's patented.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Ive seen better knock offs before. still dont come any where near a real ipod

What do you mean with better knock-offs? The ones that break Apple's patents? This one is , lets say, inspired by the 2G nano. Exactly the same pose on the picture , and the whole device looks like the nano exept for the clickwheel and UI.

Apple can't bring that "Xiron MP3 Player" down , because it doesnt break any patents. They know , however, that that Xiron junk clearly wants to be an iPod.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
What did the reporter say about the device? Was it any good :p

I just flipped through it on the newsstand, but if I recall correctly, he thought it was a decent phone, but didn't really compare to an authentic iPhone.

It was a fraction of the price, though, and he said it was very popular in the markets he saw it for sale in.

I don't think it was multi-touch, but it did have an interface closer to the iPhone than a lot of phones from, say, Nokia or Motorola. It was all in some sort of Chinese, though (Cantonese? Mandarin?) so it was difficult for me to read much of the menus in the photos.

macbattle

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
At least these ripoff give us something apple will never ever give us, SD card support, which is a shame.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I just flipped through it on the newsstand, but if I recall correctly, he thought it was a decent phone, but didn't really compare to an authentic iPhone.

It was a fraction of the price, though, and he said it was very popular in the markets he saw it for sale in.

I don't think it was multi-touch, but it did have an interface closer to the iPhone than a lot of phones from, say, Nokia or Motorola. It was all in some sort of Chinese, though (Cantonese? Mandarin?) so it was difficult for me to read much of the menus in the photos.

The Meizu M8 is not out yet. And that company produces some one of the best mp3 you can get from China, and compare fairly well with other mp3 on the market. There product is so good that Walgreens sells them.

But how would they convince us to buy a new one every six months if we could simply expand the capacity of our existing iPod...?!

;)
Sarcasm? If not with actual design changes, more features, and more internal memory. After all SD card slots are nice but more internal memory is nicer.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
One time, I saw an iPod nano in orange. That's what I thought it was, but it was just the most effing copycatish copycat ever.

I hate these ripper-offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.