Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerry1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I found some info but thought I would see if I could get some feedback from someone who knows what works. I have to believe some people here listen to their local radio stations on their Mac!

I just bought a 2.8GHz "Extreme" iMac. Not really computer literate in general and BRAND NEW to OSX and everything Apple. I've had my computer for almost 2 days now and the very 1st thing I tried was to listen to a local radio station's stream while I set up my printer, etc...

Well 2hrs later, I still haven't heard a note. I'm testing Safari vs. Firefox and tried both. I downloaded Quicktime from Apple's site and then tried Flip4Mac since Microsoft stopped supporting their player for Mac in '06. Still nothing and I ran out of time.

I saw something about opening the streaming link using the "Rosetta" option and will try that but I would think their has to be an answer. After all, I bought a Mac partly because it's supposed to make the fun stuff easy!

Any help out there? I basically have no idea what I'm doing! :confused:

ghking

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
the site might just stink. try other stations and see if those work.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I usually listen to radio streams in iTunes - not in a web browser.

What radio station is this we're talking about?

Also, there is no "Extreme" iMac - just fast ones and faster ones.

jerry1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Thanks guys. This starting working after a restart.

And the iMac is the 2.8GHz model that has the "mobile extreme" chip.... hence the "Extreme". :)

wrkhorse

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
roseville ca
forgive me for hyjacking this thread!
but i my problem is close to the topic.
i have searched but failed.
i listen to kfog.
but lately it is not streaming. i get "blocks" which keep replaying.
still runing tiger, flip 4 mac, quicktime all plug ins on.
can you help me get it to stream?
i will let this station "run" for hours

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.