Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Hi All

I've just replaced my Apple TV with a PS3.

All my videos (personal DVD collection) don't work with the PS3, I'm very annoyed as they are MP4 files and SHOULD work!!!!).

I've tried a thousand different things (change header with PTPro, renaming files, etc) but with no luck.

I've accepted that I'm going to have rip and convert my entire video collection again. So to avoid this in future, what is the best video format to go for?

What format is likely to be future proof?? Divx? Essentially, what will work on the PS3 and AppleTV (the Apple tv is going upstairs!).

Thanks for your help.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
-DH said:
Which MPEG and which varitant of it? There are dozens to choose from and none are future proof.

-DH

Mpeg layer 3 of course :p but yes I see what you mean. H.264? I thought it was pretty good but you say no. Do you think DivX is the way to go:eek:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Which MPEG and which varitant of it? There are dozens to choose from and none are future proof.
The raw VOB files (MPEG2) from the source DVDs are pretty future proof since that is you source material (in this case at least). :p

The problem is that "future proof" in this case really means "lowest common denominator" which could be as bad as 320x240 MPEG-4.

B

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Cheers for the replies.

Unfortunately, the PS3 didn't play the 23232 (slight exaggeration) mp4 files I threw at it or the 21267776767 (again, exaggerated for comic effect) Vob files.

Anyways, I just took my PS3 back to the store and exchanged it for a 360.

360 plays all my movie files, no problem :cool:

I'm happy.

NB, I can appreciate that no file is future proof, I was just annoyed at the thought of re-ripping and re-encoding all my DVDs. But now I don't have to!!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The universal video format is quickly becoming H.264 packaged in various containers.

mpeg-2 is going to the graveyard.

At least as far as HD is concerned. Even Microsoft is starting to use H.264

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
Rip your dvds with Mactheripper (free) . I would recommend just ripping the main feature (no extras)

Use Handbrake's (free) PS3 preset and tweak the bitrate to your liking. This will create a Mp4 (h.264/AVC) which plays on the PS3. If you rip between 2500-3000 the mp4 will be damn near the same quality as the DVD. I usually can tell no difference at all. For animated movies you can use 1000-1500 bitrate and retail dvd quality. I use my PS3 for this.. stream my movies onto my PS3 from my server PC. I have ton of HD space. On avg I can rip dvds to about 2-2.2gb and retain DVD quality. You can buy a 750gb drive now for 150$. That will easily hold 233 DVDs in Mp4 format! :eek:

I will rip 5-10 DVDs while roaming around the house (watching tv, cleaning, etc) and then have Handbrake batch encode them overnight or while I am away from the computer for a long period of time. If you have a PS3 you should really use Mp4 (as mentioned above) it will give you the best quality and is native format for the PS3 and heavily supported by Apple and Blu-ray.. basically the format is not going anywhere anytime soon.

I am looking forward to storing my DVDs away and having them all accessable through the PS3 over the network. Of course I will still leave my Blu-rays out :)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
I'm thinking of getting a PS3 in Jan. Can you stream from a Mac? or just PCs? I've got a lot of DVDs that I'd like to consolidate to hard drives. It'd be great to be able to do it with a PS3 instead of having to buy an AppleTV as well.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
I'm thinking of getting a PS3 in Jan. Can you stream from a Mac? or just PCs? I've got a lot of DVDs that I'd like to consolidate to hard drives. It'd be great to be able to do it with a PS3 instead of having to buy an AppleTV as well.

You can stream but it's so bloody pedantic! You can use Twonkyvision or Eyeconnect. It only accepts very specific files, I'd do your research before commiting to one. On the other hand, if you haven't ripped your library yet it shouldn't be such a problem.

Like I said before, I had my library all nicely ripped and converted so I wasn't about to do all that again!!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I've been ripping in Handbrake in MPEG-4 at a bitrate of around 1500, for my iPod. Will those play on the PS3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.