Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Sorry in advance for the noob question, but if I get a new iTouch today, how do I do the jailbreak thing?

I mean, does it come with v 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 and if it has 1.1.2 do I have to downgrade to 1.1.1?

Are the steps to get the iTouch to 1.1.2 then jalbreak it or first get the Touch to 1.1.1, jailbreak, then upgrade, or what?

Thanks in advance!

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
it could be a case of the newer ipods shipped out have 1.1.2 so it could be a 50/50 bet either way I have a little guide here, its fool proof so you should be fine

*****************IF YOU HAVE 1.1.2*****************
download the 1.1.1 official firmware, save it to a place you will remember. (if you have safari please turn off the auto open when downloaded option)

if your touch isn't already in recovery mode as already instructed plug touch into pc/mac load itunes up and then hold down the lock/wake button and home key keep them held down eventually your touch will shut off, keep the buttons held down and when you see the apple logo let go of the lock/wake key ONLY leaving the home key pressed down and eventually you should get the itunes logo with pic of the usb wire.

iTunes should now say its detected an ipod in recovery mode click ok, now depending what system your using for windows hold the shift key down or for mac options key then press restore and point iTunes to the ipsw file and click open, iTunes should start restoring your touch to 1.1.1.

*****************IF YOU HAVE 1.1.2*****************

Point the touch's safari to jailbreame.com, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on install AppSnapp and soon after safari will "crash" if you wait yout touch will start to auto jailbreak, if memory serves me once the install has complete reboot your touch and your jailbroken.

to upgrade to 1.1.2 first step, go to installer then scroll down to 1.1.1 tweaks and install oktoprep. Once installed plug ipod in to pc/mac and update to official 1.1.2. When updated grab the 1.1.2 jailbreak program and extract to a folder. If you are running windows then run windows.bat if mac then the osx file, tick install ssh and click the jailbreak button. When this has finised doing its thing power off your touch then turn it back on, your touch will reboot when loaded up (this is normal) when its rebooted you will then have a jailbroken 1.1.2

Next its best to install BSD Subsystem, to do this go to installer --> install --> system --> BSD Subsystem --> install

also make sure you add http://repo.us.to to installer sources and you will have a nice and easy install of iphone apps

to add a source in installer

1. open installer
2. click sources
3. click edit
4. click add
5. enter url
6. click ok
7. wait for sources to refresh
8. go back to install
9. scroll down to iphone apps for 1.1.1/iphone apps for 1.1.2

for mail and maps make sure you install the prep items aswell

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
it could be a case of the newer ipods shipped out have 1.1.2 so it could be a 50/50 bet either way I have a little guide here, its fool proof so you should be fine

*****************IF YOU HAVE 1.1.1*****************
download the 1.1.1 official firmware, save it to a place you will remember. (if you have safari please turn off the auto open when downloaded option)

if your touch isn't already in recovery mode as already instructed plug touch into pc/mac load itunes up and then hold down the lock/wake button and home key keep them held down eventually your touch will shut off, keep the buttons held down and when you see the apple logo let go of the lock/wake key ONLY leaving the home key pressed down and eventually you should get the itunes logo with pic of the usb wire.

iTunes should now say its detected an ipod in recovery mode click ok, now depending what system your using for windows hold the shift key down or for mac options key then press restore and point iTunes to the ipsw file and click open, iTunes should start restoring your touch to 1.1.1.

*****************IF YOU HAVE 1.1.1*****************

Point the touch's safari to jailbreame.com, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on install AppSnapp and soon after safari will "crash" if you wait yout touch will start to auto jailbreak, if memory serves me once the install has complete reboot your touch and your jailbroken.

to upgrade to 1.1.2 first step, go to installer then scroll down to 1.1.1 tweaks and install oktoprep. Once installed plug ipod in to pc/mac and update to official 1.1.2. When updated grab the 1.1.2 jailbreak program and extract to a folder. If you are running windows then run windows.bat if mac then the osx file, tick install ssh and click the jailbreak button. When this has finised doing its thing power off your touch then turn it back on, your touch will reboot when loaded up (this is normal) when its rebooted you will then have a jailbroken 1.1.2

make sure you add http://repo.us.to to installer sources and you will have a nice and easy install of iphone apps

1. open installer
2. click sources
3. click edit
4. click add
5. enter url
6. click ok
8. go back to install

This is great...thanks! One question, above they both say IF YOU HAVE 1.1.1.

Shouldn't there be one for IF YOU HAVE 1.1.2?

I guess I'm looking for what to do if the iTouch powers up and is at 1.1.2.

TIA

**EDIT, never mind...I think I've discovered you have to get the Touch to 1.1.1, do some things, then get it to 1.1.2 and Jailbreak.

Thanks again.

KBV1

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
does jailbreaking your IPT turn it into a brick or void the warrenty on it?

Thanks

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
does jailbreaking your IPT turn it into a brick or void the warrenty on it?

Thanks

Absolutely not, dont worry, this is common concern. To get an iBrick is incredibly hard, it requires messing with the filesystem which I doubt you will do ;)
On the topic of the warranty, it does NOT void it. If the worst comes to the worst you simply do a restore and nobody will know ;)

like10thousand

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
ok, REALLY n00b question - sorry about this.

Which file do i use to restore? When I download the file, it de-zips as a folder called iPod1,1_1 , and contains a series of files and folders... three .dmgs, a folder called Firmware, and kernelcache.release.s5l8900xrb .

Hm, I thought there was a file called 'Restore' that I saw before, but I don't see it now. When I clicked it, I got an error message though.

Which of these files do I use? Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded from the link above and also an identical file from the touchdev wiki.

Thanks for your help!
Alyssa

like10thousand

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
still problems!!

Just kidding.

I'm running a macbook pro, btw.

I downloaded the file in Firefox, removed the .zip, and started restoring with it. It says it's extracting the software and then, when it's done, tells me it's an unknown error (-18). Any idea what the deal is?

Thanks!
A

like10thousand

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Just kidding.

I'm running a macbook pro, btw.

I downloaded the file in Firefox, removed the .zip, and started restoring with it. It says it's extracting the software and then, when it's done, tells me it's an unknown error (-18). Any idea what the deal is?

Thanks!
A

Ah! The itouch fell asleep while I was doing all this other stuff and I had to wake it back up. Geez, this isn't easy.

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
ok, REALLY n00b question - sorry about this.

Which file do i use to restore? When I download the file, it de-zips as a folder called iPod1,1_1 , and contains a series of files and folders... three .dmgs, a folder called Firmware, and kernelcache.release.s5l8900xrb .

Hm, I thought there was a file called 'Restore' that I saw before, but I don't see it now. When I clicked it, I got an error message though.

Which of these files do I use? Am I doing something wrong? I downloaded from the link above and also an identical file from the touchdev wiki.

Thanks for your help!
Alyssa

If you're using Safari to d/l the restore file then you will have to turn off 'open safe files after downloading' under General in Preferences
Once you have redownloaded the file (or retrieved it from the Recycle Bin which I head someone say worked) just rename it with the .zip removed so that the file name ends on '_Restore.ipsw'

Dinnskee

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
Cant update or restore

Ok so i got my touch into 1.1.1 and DL installer apps and put on oktoprep but then when i try to update it to 1.1.2 i cant i get a error 1604 and then when i try to restore it i get the exact same error is this a problem with itunes or is it with the itouch and if so what ca i do?

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Ok so i got my touch into 1.1.1 and DL installer apps and put on oktoprep but then when i try to update it to 1.1.2 i cant i get a error 1604 and then when i try to restore it i get the exact same error is this a problem with itunes or is it with the itouch and if so what ca i do?

Hmm, Im not exactly sure. It might be worth rebooting the iPod and try again or restart iTunes, worth a shot I guess :/

KBV1

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
d Right ok.....

Just gone out and bought my self a Ipod Touch 16gb and i have started jailbreaking it. Im on 1.1.1 at the moment what i have done is:

Gone to jailbreame.com in my touch, downloaded appsnapp (i think) and i downloaded it. It then put an installer app on my touch when then i clicked anp it goes to a browser page to select stuff. Is this all correct?

I am having a git of a problem. everytime i click the install now it come up to install Apolo which i already did but it wont move from that, have a screwed it up,lol?

thanks

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
If you're still on 1.1.1 then you might want to upgrade to 1.1.2, it's much more stable apparently and also the most up to date so less bugs etc etc.
To safely upgrade to 1.1.2 you will have to go into Installer, go to the Install tab, scroll down to Tweaks 1.1.1 and then install 'Oktoprep'. Once that's done, plug the iPod into the Mac and choose Update in the iPod touch section of iTunes. Once that's all done, download this file and extract it and from there if you're on Mac open Jailbreak.jar and click Jailbreak! or if you're running Windows open windows.bat.
You now have a jailbroken 1.1.2 iPod touch :)

KBV1

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
so do i need to restore my ipod then upgrade the 1.1.2 and then get the installer etc or and im getting confused,lol now the installer thing wont update if you get one a i mean, shall just retore the whole ipod through itunes and start again?

only i could screw it up,lol

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
so do i need to restore my ipod then upgrade the 1.1.2 and then get the installer etc or and im getting confused,lol now the installer thing wont update if you get one a i mean, shall just retore the whole ipod through itunes and start again?

only i could screw it up,lol

seriously if you just follow my lil guide it cant get any simpler lol but yeh you need to be in 1.1.1 to start off with

KBV1

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
seriously if you just follow my lil guide it cant get any simpler lol but yeh you need to be in 1.1.1 to start off with

ok, i had to restore my ipod so it has updated it to 1.1.2 now Doh!

ok, so as im on 1.1.2 now do i follow the following:

make sure you add http://repo.us.to to installer sources and you will have a nice and easy install of iphone apps

1. open installer
2. click sources
3. click edit
4. click add
5. enter url
6. click ok
8. go back to install

i am probably being really thick here so im sorry,lol

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
What is an iTouch? I didn't know Apple released a new device called the iTouch. I have an iPod touch but, it must be one of the older 16GB models. Does the iTouch come with better features? Also, I wonder why they changed the name so quickly, I figured iPod touch would stick around for a while longer.

</sarcasm>

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
ok, i had to restore my ipod so it has updated it to 1.1.2 now Doh!

ok, so as im on 1.1.2 now do i follow the following:

i am probably being really thick here so im sorry,lol

No, if you've gone through the jailbreak process and upgraded to 1.1.2 successfully then you are past all that.
You're done! Start to install some good apps now :)

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
What is an iTouch? I didn't know Apple released a new device called the iTouch. I have an iPod touch but, it must be one of the older 16GB models. Does the iTouch come with better features? Also, I wonder why they changed the name so quickly, I figured iPod touch would stick around for a while longer.

</sarcasm>

The iTouch has 17gb and is just the coolest. Me and my friends all stand around and touch, touch, touch. It's so much fun. Just like those 1-900 numbers. All the coolest people Touch. You should too!
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.