Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bowlerguy10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
At my computer
Do you use the single tap of the power button and boot to slider or do you actually hold the power button down and do the slide to power down method? How much battery power does keeping it in standby take and what is the advantage of shutting it down fully by use of the slider?

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Do you use the single tap of the power button and boot to slider or do you actually hold the power button down and do the slide to power down method? How much battery power does keeping it in standby take and what is the advantage of shutting it down fully by use of the slider?

I just use single tap of the power button all the time. I can't remember the last time I actually powered down my touch. I recall reading on the forums here that there is no difference in power consimption, although I'm not 100% sure on this. I'd also be interested to hear other peoples view on this.

tefleming

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
ATL
With the touch being solid state, there should be no (or at least miniscule) power drain in sleep mode.

However, booting up from off (just based on how long it takes) seems like it would be drawing power.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO

i think it would be pretty darn hard to have much evidence of a difference between the two. the only time i power down completely is when my safari starts quitting on me and that seems to kick it back in to shape.

SavageMac

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
I throw mine against the wall & works everytime still, a real testament to just how durable these buggers are.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I just put mine to sleep unless I'm not going to be using it for a few days.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
With firmware 1.1.1 I always completely shut it down because it would drain the battery even faster sleeping than when playing a movie.:eek: Now with 1.1.2 I just put it to sleep as that problem has been fixed.:)

Kkatyboo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
i just got mine and i always just turn it all theway off with the sliding off... how do you put it into a sleep mode??? sorry for being a noob

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007

Both depending on mood :D
With the touch being solid state, there should be no (or at least miniscule) power drain in sleep mode.

However, booting up from off (just based on how long it takes) seems like it would be drawing power.

I'm so impressed with that aspect of flash memory - really no loss of power when I shut down completely or sleep!

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
With firmware 1.1.1 I always completely shut it down because it would drain the battery even faster sleeping than when playing a movie.:eek: Now with 1.1.2 I just put it to sleep as that problem has been fixed.:)

Weird - never have that problem and I still use 1.1.1 - jailbroken of course.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Sleep it unless the WiFi is acting nuts then it gets powered down. But I always h see a huge loss of power when I power back up! :eek:

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i always just put it in sleep mode unless it starts crashing a lot then i'll restart it with the hold down sleep and home button method. it does use a little power when you're in sleep mode because it knows where you left off and it comes back to that screen from sleep mode. if i didn't use any power then it wouldn't know where you left off and it would always come back to the home screen from sleep mode. also it seems like powering all the way down uses a lot more power than just going into sleep mode

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
I've shut mine off once since I've had it. I usually just power save it, the little home button on the bottom. Either that or i'll let it die.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.