Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linsam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
Hi All,

I am looking to get the 8GB iPhone, but think it might be wise to wait until after Macworld next month. I am hoping a 16GB iPhone will be announced. I think 8GB is enough space, but am wondering if you all are happy with that amount of storage space. Would 16GB be better? Thanks for your input.

Linda

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...I think 8GB is enough space, but am wondering if you all are happy with that amount of storage space. Would 16GB be better? Thanks for your input.

Linda
Well 8GB is plenty of storage if you want to store less than 8GB, if you're gonna want to store more than 8GB I'd consider the 16GB which will hold 16GB, or twice as much. From a storage capacity POV the 16GB is probably better, but sadly not a real product, which makes it less good than the 8GB real product. Swings and roundabouts.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
Well as with any all in one device there are downfalls. I personally still use my sony HD mp3 player for tunes on the way to class, so 8GB is plenty for photos and data. I do this for i am used to the way my mp3 player runs, and how much battery life it gets. This said, most people will always complain about the storage space.

I find that 8GB is enough.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I'm riding the bleeding edge with 8GB. I have to be very careful about what I'm putting on it as I've bumped into capacity a couple times already. I had a Touch 16GB before buying the iPhone and it gave me a bit of breathing room. Now I'm constantly counting bytes to keep me within the limits... delete this, add that.

You really can't lose to see if anything at all is said at MacWorld about a higher capacity model. Even if it is announced it will certainly be released at some distant time. Can you deal with 6 months or more if one will even be released at all? Some people can't live without the newest of the new. Obviously you've waited until now so another 2.5 weeks won't kill you. A short wait will tell you if you even need to bother. If it goes in your favor an even longer wait will be ahead of you. If not, then you know you can get one now.

mpw: you are truly the king of the obvious. With an answer like that you should be in politics. How exactly did that go? 8GB will be good for storing up to 8GB and 16GB would hold twice as much?

linsam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I will wait to see what happens at Macworld. It cannot hurt to wait, but it sure would be great to get one now. If a 16GB comes out...awesome! If not...I will get the awesome 8GB iPhone. Since there is a 16GB iPod Touch, I am thinking a 16GB iPhone will be introduced. Even if it cost $100 more than the 8GB, I would get it. We shall see what happens very soon!

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

honestly all it takes is patience in managing your content through itunes. I was worried about not having enough space but I have all of my playlists, favorite pic albums, and 2 full length movies with plenty of room to spare.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Hi All,

I am looking to get the 8GB iPhone, but think it might be wise to wait until after Macworld next month. I am hoping a 16GB iPhone will be announced. I think 8GB is enough space, but am wondering if you all are happy with that amount of storage space. Would 16GB be better? Thanks for your input.

Linda

Since it is a phone, not an iPod replacement, yes, 8GBs are more than enough. Most cell phones don't have that much memory without expansions, the H.264 codec allows plenty of videos and you can specify what info you transfer. Do not expect to transfer all of your music to it as the Apple commercials imply.

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
I know that what I'm about to say will come across very unreliable but I'm just saying what I know. I was informed by my brother that CNN had said apple was releasing a 16 gb iPhone. Now I though he was just saying that cuz I had was about to get an 8 gb for Christmas. But I asked him yesterday if he was serious and he was. And the fact that my brother knows nothing about the phone to know there wasn't a 16 gb already. So I think hey really de report it. I just couldn't find the story on the website to see their source or anything. Sorry for the long almost useless story.

bobjohnson

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2007
With all my 755 songs I am only using 2.99 GB and that is 3 years of collecting music, I usually add 12 songs a month, so I should be good for a few more years.:D

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I have to put no videos, to get about 60 percent of my music on it.

I really want more capacity someday.

thepandamancan

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Burbank, CA
I only use half the space for music...it requires me to take a good look at my collection (around 7500 songs) and see what I really need with me at all times. So about 4-5GBs are always dedicated to music. I also have room for a couple eps of a TV show or a couple full length movies. I have close to 200 pics on it as well and thats only taken up about 200MB.

So in short...yeah the 8GB is enough if you're smart about it.

thats nice

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
8GB seems fine for me, i have two smart playlists and one is for audio and the other for video, basically my songs with a 4+ star rating will be on there and i only allow up to 3gb of movies at any one time and it gets synced with the newest movies i rip into iphone format size and put into iTunes.

If you have a large music file and feel the need to have every song on you at all times get a classic. And as i like to tell everyone, i had an 80GB then went to a 30GB and i've never ever in my life had a time where i've needed my entire music collection on me. So now the 30GB sits at home.

memesmith

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
It's big enough for me. But I came to the iPhone from a 512mb shuffle. I'd never want to crry al my music around with me, and I always liked the random autofill feature on the shuffle that gave the the opportunity to listen to stuff I hadn't chosen fro myself for a long time. I store about 200 tunes on my iPhone: based on two randomly generated playlists, 150 4* or 5* rated tunes and 50 unrated tunes. I keep a couple of home movies, a ripped TV episode or two and 114 photos, leaving me 3.4 GB of space. Guess I ought to create a couple of small randon playlists for lower rated music and add a couple more videos

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I have about 1,100 songs and over 3,000 photos on mine, and have a gig to spare which is plenty of room for podcasts that come and go. I have much more music than that in my iTunes library, but I created an iPhone playlist into which I dumped the highlights. I also sync another couple of playlists to the iPhone.

Playlists is the way to manage your music content on an iPhone. Of course, if you have less than, say, 5 gig of music, you don't have a problem unless you also want to store a few movies.

Bottom line, you might as well wait and see what comes out of MacWorld as we're so close now. Extra capacity will never go to waste - especially now that the deal with Fox supposedly will allow you to rip movies straight to your iPod/iPhone from iTunes.

I'm going to get a new iMac and even though they've just been updated and I do not expect anything to change, I'm still going to wait for MacWorld...just in case.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
8GB seems fine for me, i have two smart playlists and one is for audio and the other for video, basically my songs with a 4+ star rating will be on there and i only allow up to 3gb of movies at any one time and it gets synced with the newest movies i rip into iphone format size and put into iTunes.

If you have a large music file and feel the need to have every song on you at all times get a classic. And as i like to tell everyone, i had an 80GB then went to a 30GB and i've never ever in my life had a time where i've needed my entire music collection on me. So now the 30GB sits at home.

If and when I get a proper iPod connection in my car, I will have all my music on my old iPod and be able to leave it almost permanently connected in the car. I will then use my iPhone for on-the-go music. I'm not writing off my old iPod yet...

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I just got mine for christmas but I do not plan on using it as an iPod. I have some songs and videos on it but mainly it will be for pictures and of course phone stuff. I still carry my 5th gen 30g around. But I also dont really walk around with it either. If I had to take the bus or went to school or something I bet I would use the iPhone as an iPod but since I just go from work to home and the car in between the 30gig still fits that bill very well.

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
If and when I get a proper iPod connection in my car, I will have all my music on my old iPod and be able to leave it almost permanently connected in the car.

That's what I do. My 5th Gen iPod with my 18 gigs of Music is permanently in my Car now. And I would also take it to the beach or pool when on holiday.

My iPhone has a nice amount of music on it to keep me going if I was walking around town or the shops or going on a short trip to some European cities for work. It's a real godsend in that regard, helps me through endless waits at airports and keeps me sane....;)

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
8gig of storage is plenty for me right now and I imagine though I will be wanting the 16gig iPhone when they offer a SDK and if we get a finder on the iPhone. The more space for storage the better.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
My iPhone has a nice amount of music on it to keep me going if I was walking around town or the shops or going on a short trip to some European cities for work. It's a real godsend in that regard, helps me through endless waits at airports and keeps me sane....;)

..and reduces the number of devices (and chargers) you have to carry by at least one.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
We have a 4 GB (wife) and an 8 GB (me) and neither of us has run into storage problems. My wife likes to swap out the music on hers several times a week, and she can not listen to all the songs on her iPhone in between swaps. She also keeps several hundred photos on hers and a ton of e-mail. I too have a ton of e-mail and photos as well as several thousand songs. But as several other posters have said, I use my 3G iPod to handle my main music needs for the car and work - I have the Altec Lansing speakers in my office.:cool: So yes, I believe 8 GB is enough unless your iPhone will be your sole music player. However, don't forget the original iPod was only 5 GBs!

m477h3w

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
8gb is plenty for me. It doesn't matter how much storage a device has you will always find a way to fill it. Being limited to 8gb just means you're a little bit more selective.

I have 702 songs, 18 videos and 3330 photos on mine, with 1.3gb to spare. 702 songs may not sound like much, but have a playlist that randomly selects 1000 tracks from iTunes and sync it up every evening. That way it is like your whole library (only around 20gb in my case) is with you on shuffle. Garanteed you wont listen to 1000 tracks in one day!!!

All that said, no harm in waiting for MacWorld now it is only round the corner :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.