Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
Just found out to my disgust that my new 15G iPod cannot be used for running. I bought it for my forthcoming Marathon training runs. It quits after 20 minutes. Also found out at the Apple discussion forums that this has been an old issue. For all you runners out there, beware. Don't make the same expensive mistake I did, if you intend to use the iPod for running.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Huh, really. Thought the ipod had a buffer. It skips or won't play when jostled? Maybe strapping it to your arm when running will alleviate some of the shocks and jolts it receives when otherwise placed on your hip.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Is it the battery dying, or the 20-min anti-skip buffer running out? In either case, it's weird.

BTW, where in HI are you guys from?
<-- Used to live in Hilo :)

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know what you must do when you run, but I can run fine with my iPod. I carry it in my hand, don't take the case....

the only problem I had was the headphones sometimes bouncing out of my ears but I solved that by putting the cable down my shirt. The only reason I ever go for a run is because of my iPod. Running to music is soooo much more motivating than without.

Tell us more about your problem, what sort of music are you listening to because I can definitely run fine and have been since my first generation iPod, and this is my third...

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Could be a buffer problem...

...or is it just that you run like Phoebe from Friends? ;)

In all seriousness, I think you should take the time to ask the folks at the genius bar (I'm assuming you're on Oahu). No reason to suffer if it's something they can fix.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
there is a 20-minute memory buffer, much better than the minute or two of skip-protection that other devices offer... only thing better is solid state, but that's a *lot* more expensive per meg (they're cheaper but have substancially less memory). Most people are able to use their iPods in a variety of physical settings with no problems. I think you're being unusually hard on the iPod somehow, my partner jogs for hours with no problem... are you holding it, or clipping it to your waist, or putting it in your pocket (bad idea)? remember, the less vibrations, the better, and having the thing slapping against your body is not a good idea...

pnw

macrat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
I had mine in the pouch that was part of the 15G package. My running speed is only at 11 min./mile, not even close to hard running at all. Looks like it's probably ok as long as you don't go past the 20- minute anti skip buffer. Holding it in my hands will surely do the trick to minimize the vibration but it's not a good option for my long runs. I am too clumsy to have something in my hands for an extended time period.

Oh well, I will just keep it for its awesome music and good looks. Got everybody at my Realty office in awe when I pulled it out to synch with my Powerbook 17 as they were all cleaning up their email boxes with thousands of messages from the email worm!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Re: New iPods not built for running

Originally posted by macrat
Just found out to my disgust that my new 15G iPod cannot be used for running. I bought it for my forthcoming Marathon training runs. It quits after 20 minutes. Also found out at the Apple discussion forums that this has been an old issue. For all you runners out there, beware. Don't make the same expensive mistake I did, if you intend to use the iPod for running.

I started a thread about this topic some weeks ago. I wanted to buy an iPod for running as well. But after the replys (you can find here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33955

I decided not to get one. I am in training for my next marathon as well. If you are running more than 2h-3h its for me not an option to hold the iPod in my hand. I need to drink a lot during running and need my hands to be free. Instead I bought an Creative muvo which is compared by the Specs and what it can by far not comparable with the iPod. But the most important thing for me was that I can use it while running. And therefore it works perfect.

Cheers

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
I also run quite a bit. 3/4 times a week 10KM or more. ANd I found the ipod completely unusable. It skips or stops playing. I don't hold in my hand. I can't concentrate on running if I have something in my hand the whole time that I DON'T wanna drop. I just put it inside my running pants. And that doesn't work.
Maybe an arm strap or waist strap does work?

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
haha.
sorry but I can't take that too serious.
If you are running a bit. like 2 miles every week, maybe it's suitable but I can't believe it's very comfortable if you are really into serious sporting.
it's bulky.
lol. especially the part in discription: easy storage for credit cards and id.
like I need that when I go running. but ok...

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
don't you take an ID with tho....

Nope.
I carry my drivers license in my wallet, but I dont have that with me all the time.
I don't see why.

I'll look for an armstrap for my ipod.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
John Doe

Originally posted by iwantanewmac
Nope.
I carry my drivers license in my wallet, but I dont have that with me all the time.
I don't see why.

It is a good thing to always carry some sort of ID... what if you get into an accident/somebody finds you unconcious ?

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Re: John Doe

Originally posted by etoiles
It is a good thing to always carry some sort of ID... what if you get into an accident/somebody finds you unconcious ?

I just hope they carry me too a hospital :)

I know it's sometimes better too carry it with you. But I refuse too identify myself each time the police tell you too.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
etoiles is right. You should carry a photo ID with you at all times when you are out running, particularly if you go running in wilderness areas (including state and national parks) or if you run alongside streets. If a car hits you or you get attacked by an animal or something, that ID is the only way that emergency services can contact your family, pull up your medical history, get your insurance information, and so on.

If you don't have any pockets, tuck your ID into your shoe or something. It's REALLY important.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
ah c'mon it's not THAT important.
Some people get so freaked out over what MIGHT happen to them.
Don't overreact.

Well I'm off to bed.
(without my ID)

And back to topic :)

Still haven't found a good arm-strap.

crazedbytheheat

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Doesn't work for me either.

I also bought an iPod (20GB) with the dream of long runs with lots of cool music (Tool and Korn make you run faster). I had a Rio and it only stored an hour of music and you had to reload for every run if you wanted to change the tunes. Unfortunately I've found that the iPod locks up when runnning. I keep it clipped to my waist. I've had this happen when running on the road as well as on a treadmill. I haven't tried the arm band. Maybe less jarring?

As for ID, I personally recommend the RoadID (http://www.RoadID.com). You can have your name, address, and contact number. According to an Active.com article (http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=9883) approximately 400,000 athletes are taken to the hospital EACH YEAR unconsious and unidentified. It's not quite as rare as a lot of people think.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with RoadID other than as a customer.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
ah c'mon it's not THAT important.
Some people get so freaked out over what MIGHT happen to them.
Don't overreact.

How bad do you really think it will be to carry an ID? Sure, it might not happen to you, but it's not a huge deal to carry ID with you and if something DOES happen, you're that much better off for it.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
here is another idea (no pun intended):
Just have your name engraved on your ipod...once you figure out how to keep it from skipping...and make sure it is attached to whatever bodypart you are least likely to lose in an accident :D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: Doesn't work for me either.

Originally posted by crazedbytheheat
I also bought an iPod (20GB) with the dream of long runs with lots of cool music (Tool and Korn make you run faster). I had a Rio and it only stored an hour of music and you had to reload for every run if you wanted to change the tunes. Unfortunately I've found that the iPod locks up when runnning.

This is the same thing that happens to me. I was out for a long run and after about 20 minutes it locked up (like frozen). Wouldn't play, wouldnt respond to any button pushing. Display was stuck showing it as partway through a song. I stopped for a few minutes thinking the ipod had overheated or something (I had been holding it in my hand, so I didn't think it was something related to jostling). It felt cool to the touch. I continued to run with it for another couple hours (had to carry the whole damn thing since I wasnt going to turn back). When I got home I plugged it in to the wall (still frozen) and when I came back after a few hours it was finally working again.

Thats the only time I tried to run with it. I like my hands free and it seems to big and bulky to carry any other way. I gave it a shot and it quit pretty quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.