Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've received two purported transcripts for the Macworld 2008 Keynote. For some reason, fake transcripts appear to be a popular thing to submit to rumor sites. We publish these for discussion and interest and feel that they do not represent legitimate transcripts about what to expect at Macworld Expo 2008.

Article Link

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Transcript #1:

Steve enters from backstage and welcomes the audience to MacWorld 2008. He says that there are big plans for the day, but first he wants to provide numbers. His focus topics are the adoption rates for iPhone and Leopard, as well as quick notes on iTunes, iPod, and Mac sales.

Steve then apologizes, saying that there is nothing as big as the iPhone this year, but he thinks a lot of smaller “revolutionary” changes are happening that will hopefully make this year exciting as well.

Mac Nano
Steve mentions the iPod Nano, calling it the best-selling music device in history. He then reminds us that the “Nano” used to be “Mini” and brings up the existence of the Mac Mini. Steve then unveils the “Mac Nano,” a redesigned Mac Mini that is approximately half the height of its predecessor and in an anodized aluminum shell to match recent design changes in the Apple lineup.

The Mac Nano will come in two flavors, 2.0 GHz and 2.2 GHz (using current Santa Rosa chips), each of which comes standard with a 32 GB solid-state drive. Build-to-order options will include a 64 GB solid-state drive, as well as the option to instead use a conventional hard drive, with sizes up to 160 GB, all 5400 rpm.

On sale: TODAY. Shipping: FEBRUARY.

Mac Pro
Steve then says that “sometimes bigger is better,” and brings up the Mac Pro, lauding it as the “best workstation on the market.” Steve then introduces the new Penryn chipset, praising Intel for its innovation. He then introduces a redesigned Mac Pro. (There is no “final image” present in this draft Keynote). Steve brags that the Mac Pro was the first mainstream computer to feature eight cores, and says its time to bring that into everyone’s hands.

The new Mac Pro comes with dual 2.8 GHz Penryn Xeons standard, with build-to-order options for 3.0 GHz and 3.2 GHz. Standard RAM is bumped to 2 GB, standard hard drive to 320 GB. Standard graphics card is now 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, with other graphics cards build-to-order.

Steve then reveals a final new feature: the Mac Pro is the first Mac to feature a high-definition optical drive, a Blu-ray drive for $400, BTO.

On sale: TODAY. Shipping: TODAY.

MacBook Pro
“Also an update for our mobile professionals.” Steve introduces the “new” MacBook Pro, built off of the mobile version of the “same Penryn chipset used in the Mac Pro.”

Clockspeeds upped to 2.4 GHz/2.6 GHz. 17” MacBook Pro gets LED backlighting. 15” MacBook Pro gets a resolution upgrade option BTO similar to the 17”. Still using the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, but video RAM upgraded to 256 MB/512 MB.

New option: black anodized aluminum, like the iPod Classic, due to the high demand of the “BlackBook.”

ON SALE: TODAY. Shipping: FEBRUARY.

New Accessories
Steve then lines up the three Mac desktops and points to their now common aluminum shells, then points out the white plastic Mighty Mouse. Quickly introduces the new aluminum Mighty Mouse, which is slightly slimmer than its predecessor and gets an extra 10% battery life.

Updated Cinema Displays
Steve calls the Apple monitors the “most gorgeous displays on the market,” but then lines up the iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro. Points to the lack of an iSight camera on the Cinema Display. All Cinema Displays now include a 2 MP iSight camera. Resolutions and other specs stay the same, but backlighting changed over to LED.

New prices:
20”: $399.
23”: $599.
30”: $1,249.

Steve then pretends to wrap up the speech, then does his usual...
One More Thing...
Grid illustration using keynote. Across the top: “Compact,” “Consumer,” “Professional.” Across the bottom: “Portable,” “Desktop.” Steve then illustrates how their current five offerings (including the “Mac Nano”) fill in five of the six spots. Steve points out the “missing hole” and brings up the 12” PowerBook G4.

Said that the 12” MacBook Pro was sort of like the PowerBook G5--everyone wanted it, but it was never meant to happen. Instead, Apple is entering the market with the “MacBook Nano,” the smallest and lightest Mac laptop ever produced.

This new ultra-portable will come with a 13” LED-backlit screen with 1280x800 resolution. It will come in two flavors, using 1.6 GHz and 1.8 GHz low-voltage Core 2 Duos each. The lower-end will feature a 32 GB SSD, the higher- a 64 GB. Neither will use optical drives and will rely on integrated graphics.

Steve will also reveal that they will be capable of getting up to 10 hours battery life. The two models will retail for $1,499 and $1,999, respectively.

The keynote address concludes.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Transcript #2

iPhone

iPhone SDK released today. Developers will be able to sell their signed applications via iTunes (from March '08)
New iPhone software released today - adds Multimedia Messaging, video recording with camera, eBook reader & other features.
New iPhone games released today - available for purchase via iTMS.
3G iPhone announced (looks almost identical to existing iPhone).
iPhone announcements for new countries (some/all may not be announced - pending network negotiations)

Tunes & iPod

iTunes 8 supports Movie Rentals and eBook sales. Released today.
Software update for iPod Classic & Touch to support eBooks.

Mac Pro

Blu-Ray option to be rolled out to all Macs within 18 months, starting with Mac Pro - available now.
Processor and graphics updates also to Mac Pros, but no other changes.

Cinema Display

Slightly re-designed cinema displays with new range of screen sizes. All support at least 1080HD.

Mac Mini & Apple TV

New product that converges the Mac Mini & Apple TV:
- Thinner & wider that Mac Mini, thicker than Apple TV. Designed to be horizontally or vertically mounted.
- Blu-Ray and hard drive options.
- Graphics capabilities in-line with the iMac.
- Can boot into Front Row 3.0 (not final name - see below) or full OS X Leopard.
- Innovative controller (sold separately).
- Elgato to release a range of specially styled add-ons.

Front Row 3.0 (not final name)

- All macs will optionally be able to boot into Front Row 3.0.
- Supports iTMS.
- Elgato hardware integration, giving (DRM-limited) PVR functionality.
- Front-row versions of iCal, Mail & Safari.
- New eBook application.
- SDK so 3rd parties can make their applications launch directly from Front Row.
- Can be controlled by Apple Remote, new controller, iPhone or iPod Touch.

New ultra-portable/tablet "MacTouch"

- Neither a MacBook nor a MacBook Pro. Totally new product.
- Two 9" multitouch-sensitve widescreens, both 1280 x 854.
- Innovative, minimalist, two-way folding/sliding, dual-screen, multi-position design with magnetic clasps. Inspired by the paperback book, but thinner, more flexible and surprisingly tough.
- No optical drive. No mechanical hard drive.
- Will run most existing OS X apps when in 2-screen mode (the 2nd screen becomes the keyboard and touch-pad).
- iPhone-like "Springboard" when in single-screen mode.
- New possibilities for future OS X Apps - demonstrated by a gesture-driven version of iPhoto.
- Bluetooth, 802.11b/g, USB2.0, optical/analogue audio in/out, built in speakers & microphone.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Link is dead.
Hasn't this traditionally been fans writing about what they hope to see? It's written in the same style last year's was, and it was off by a large margin.

Mac nano sounds a lot like AppleTV and that SSHD costs as much as an entire mac mini right now.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Steve then apologizes, saying that there is nothing as big as the iPhone this year, but he thinks a lot of smaller “revolutionary” changes are happening that will hopefully make this year exciting as well.

Awesome way to start a keynote! Make sure and tell everyone that nothing is going to be as good as in the past! :rolleyes:

These are pretty weak looking.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
The Mac Pro needs to use the 1600FSB chips, and the video card options had better be worthwhile, not old tech.

timestamp

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
The Mac Pro needs to use the 1600FSB chips, and the video card options had better be worthwhile, not old tech.

If those speeds are correct those would be 1600FSB.

The major problem for me is the ACDs. I doubt they could do LED backlighting at those prices. Furthermore, There are much better panels available now, including a 24" H-IPS panel. At this point 23" panels are hard to find. I don't see Apple sticking with that size.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

MacWorld is not far away. I'm just waiting patiently waiting at this point.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
The first one sounds like the most likely (product wise), but there is just something about it to me that just seems completely wrong. The second one sounds like what my dog just left in my backyard, but both are probably a load of BS that a fanboy wrote to screw with our minds, I guess time will tell.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That idea about being able to boot into either full Mac OS X or Front Row in the second one sounds like a load of crap. I mean, why? First off... how many people turn off their computer? And second off, I see no issue with just launching the full Mac OS X and then running Front Row at start up.

And the second one's tablet sounds like it's just an enlarged copy of the Nintendo DS.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
That idea about being able to boot into either full Mac OS X or Front Row in the second one sounds like a load of crap. I mean, why? First off... how many people turn off their computer? And second off, I see no issue with just launching the full Mac OS X and then running Front Row at start up.

And the second one's tablet sounds like it's just an enlarged copy of the Nintendo DS.
That is what I was thinking, and that tablet thing would probably be the biggest fingerprint magnet that Apple has every made.

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
This obviously can't be true. There's no mention of The Beatles coming to iTunes. :)

These do give a whole new meaning to "everything but the kitchen sink".

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't believe that Apple would provide a BR option but no HD DVD option, due to past comments:

"Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards—Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD."

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I bought my macbook pro just recently and I can return it up until jan 8. Should I take it back and wait to see what happens at macworld.

I don't believe that Apple would provide a BR option but no HD DVD option, due to past comments:

"Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards—Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD."

If you knew anything about either formats you would know that apple is on the blu ray board. So I don't think they would be supporting HD DVDs. Unless this is some new marketing scam I haven't heard of yet.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
humm... the first one sounds nice... but i can't remember a time when apple released that many updates during a single keynote... (mac mini, mac pro, macbook pro, displays, and new ultra portable)... defo written by a fanboy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.