Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
There is stuff factory installed in the dock I have no need for and would like to remove (like Garage Band). How do I do this? If I want to not only remove from the dock but also uninstall from the computer how do I do that?

Thanks

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
To remove it from the dock, just drag the icon off it with your cursor – it'll disappear in a little puff of smoke. Easy as that and twice as simple.

To remove an app, with most of them you can just pop the app in your trash and delete it. It's worthwhile checking for any associated files as these can sometimes take up a bit of space – for example, if you're deleting Garageband you'll also want to delete the loops that go with the app as they can take up a couple of gigs of space.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
There is stuff factory installed in the dock I have no need for and would like to remove (like Garage Band). How do I do this? If I want to not only remove from the dock but also uninstall from the computer how do I do that?

Thanks

Close the app that are running and drag them off the dock and go to app folder then drag the app to the trash and empty the trash .. done ..

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Icons in the Dock are just shortcuts to the actual files.
Just click on the item, drag it from the dock, then drop it.
The same is true for the Finder Sidebar.

Most applications can be removed from OSX by dragging them to the trash, then emptying the Trash.
There is no "add/remove programs" function in OSX per se, although some complex OSX apps do come with uninstaller programs. (Adobe CS for example)

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
for example, if you're deleting Garageband you'll also want to delete the loops that go with the app as they can take up a couple of gigs of space.

Thanks, that is simple enough. About uninstall, what are loops and how would I find them?

Is there a file manger for the mac? I need something so I can see the file structure and better understand how this thing works.

Two other problems, I tried for an hour to figure out how to install my network printer. It's a Brother HL-5250DN. The drivers seemed to install from the disk but I don't know what to do now as there is no printer folder as with a PC.

Is the bar under the touch pad working correctly? When I select an icon or something on my desktop and I use this bar and right click (hit the right side of the bar) nothing happends. But if I do the same thing, right click with a mouse (usb connected) I get a menu with several items. Why don't I get the right click menu from the selection bar or is something wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Steve

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX

Thanks

To remove, either click on the item in the dock but hold down, drag it to the desktop and a puff of smoke will come..

Or, click and wait until a little menu pops up on top of the icon in the dock and click "Delete" or "Remove From Dock" , etc., and it will delete it.

:apple:

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
Thanks, that is simple enough. About uninstall, what are loops and how would I find them?

Is there a file manger for the mac? I need something so I can see the file structure and better understand how this thing works.

Two other problems, I tried for an hour to figure out how to install my network printer. It's a Brother HL-5250DN. The drivers seemed to install from the disk but I don't know what to do now as there is no printer folder as with a PC.

Is the bar under the touch pad working correctly? When I select an icon or something on my desktop and I use this bar and right click (hit the right side of the bar) nothing happends. But if I do the same thing, right click with a mouse (usb connected) I get a menu with several items. Why don't I get the right click menu from the selection bar or is something wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Be very careful when removing iLife stuff, if you use iPhoto, Keynote, pages, idvd, or any other iWork or iLife apps, removing 1 of the iLife apps can cause you to loose some functionality in the others. Especially with iLife 08.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
The file manager is the Finder (the desktop) just open the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop and you'll see all your files. You can also access some other important folders by using the "Go" menu in Finder.

The mouse only has one button. To enable some useful features, like right-clicking, open the mouse control panel. You can enable it to act like a right click when you tap two fingers down on the touchpad, or if you don't have the trackpad enabled to click, when you put two fingers down and click with the mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.